Sixty one cavers arrived at Caverns of Sonora this weekend for the 14th
annual restoration project. The long promised completion of the Devil's Pit
was finally achieved, as well as the removal of rubble from an area above
the pit left over from the first project in 1990. In total, 205 tons of
rubble has been removed from the cave, with 145 tons from the Devil's Pit
alone.

The rock-hauling phase of the project is coming to a close -- for now. For
the next few years restoration work will involve detailed and delicate
clean-ups with much smaller teams. The details on these trips, such as
number of people, dates, and objectives will be announced once they are
known.

On behalf of the owners, I sincerely thank everyone who came to help on
this trip and throughout the years which made this all possible. I hope to
write a summary of the project for the coming NSS News Conservation Issue,
as well as a more detailed version for the Texas Caver that will include a
listing all of the participants over the years.

You did an incredible job!

George