At 02:46 PM 11/16/2005, Bill Mixon wrote:
>If I am going to have to print my own copy of the Texas Caver, why should I
>pay to be a member of the TSA? I think most TSA members, who after all are
>also mostly grotto members and don't need the TSA for caving contacts and
>companions, are members in the feeble hope of receiving the Texas Caver in
>the mail. If the TSA is having trouble keeping members, the TC is the
>problem. Certainly the only other major thing it does, the spring
>conventions, have been as well organized as ever lately.

Again, the "something I can hold in my hand" syndrome. The reason for
belonging to an organization is because you support it's aims and
purposes--because you expect to get something other than a plastic prize or
paper publication from it. What you get from membership can be friendships,
education, training, trips, meetings, and resources of many kinds. Look at
membership fees as a donation to the cause, not a price you are paying for
some mere material object around which you can clamp your selfish grubby
fist. Membership is about membership--the whole group of which you are (or
should be) a contributing member--for the services they provide, to the
group and the individual caver. The organization and their members are
helping you in the pursuit of your caving happiness.  You should, if you
are a recipient caver or those benefits, return the favor by also being a
member and supporting their aims an purposes with your dues. That is how
you repay yourself; that is how you benefit from paying membership dues
without getting a goddamn TEXAS CAVER in return. The CAVER is free--always
was. You were just paying TSA membership dues which--by unhappy
coincidence--was elevated because of TC production and mailing costs, not
because you were paying for a subscription. You paid for a membership.
Nothing will change except the cost of production, etc will go away for
most members. You will still need to support the organization in the
furtherance of its other goals.

--Ediger