I would guess it's due to the fact that not all bats live in low light
conditions (think: many species of fruit bats that spend their lives in trees).
Mammalian evolution takes longer than it does for invertebrates: the time
between generations is much longer.

Diana

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biophysics
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.