Bill Mixon: and you’re point is what? That it’s a bad thing for standardized
training in cave diving? That having standardized equipment is a bad thing if
you need to help rescue someone due to equipment failure during a cave dive? If
you spoke from personal experience, I’d be more inclined to ignore your
attitude.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
(214) 645-6383 (phone)
(214) 645-6353 (fax)

> On Aug 4, 2015, at 9:03 PM, Mixon Bill via Texascavers
> <texascavers@texascavers.com> wrote:
>
>> People think big in Texas. When those people are divers, they dream of ways
>> to explore. So at the end of 2014, a group of Texan cave divers formed the
>> South Central Underwater Explorers (SCUE).
>>
>> This group of motivated divers created the team as divers Dan Kelly and Trey
>> Lessard started talking about their aspirations. They shared their
>> excitement and connected with more like-minded divers. Bylaws were set and
>> Facebook groups created. Dan Kelly, Trey Lessard, Jennifer Idol, James
>> Williams, Joe Koester, Stacey Blankenship, and Sam Meacham were all elected
>> to the board of directors.
>>
>> The team defined their mission: We are dedicated to education, conservation
>> and exploration in the waters of the South central region of the United
>> States. To represent the team, Jennifer Idol created a logo that fit within
>> the GUE system and shared the passion this team holds for exploration in and
>> around Texas. At this point, the team formalized and set the stage to begin
>> developing projects. They are eager to begin exploration, mapping,
>> photography, and videography in local cave projects.
>>
>> Divers have been working with team members and instructors Kyle Harmon, Doug
>> Mudry, and Meredith Tanguay to develop diver skills. The team continues to
>> add instructors to its ranks with Sam Meacham recently completing the
>> requirements to teach the GUE Fundamentals program and Jason Wright working
>> toward his instructor certification
>>
>> SCUE divers bring their skill set and team attitude to project development.
>> From exploration by veteran divers Sam Meacham and Fritz Hanselmann, to
>> leadership by Dan Kelly, and graphic design and photography skills by
>> Jennifer Idol, this team is filled with talent. While the team is still
>> developing official members, 42 divers are part of the group at this time.
>>
>> SCUE held their first group dive at Balmorhea Springs, Texas. The energy was
>> high as divers met from all regions of the state and realized they share the
>> same passion for cave diving exploration. SCUE was officially accepted as a
>> new GUE affiliate this February. Team development takes time, hard work, and
>> patience. This group of divers certainly seems dedicated to the road ahead
>> and you are among the first to learn of this spirited group from Texas and
>> beyond.
>
> Article by Jennifer Idol in Underwater Speleology, July-Septwmber 2015, p. 18.
> GUE stands for Global Underwater Explorers, a rather snooty-sounding group
> that requires all its members to dive with exactly the same equipment and
> selection of gases after highly standardized training. -- Mixon
> Rules to live by: Don't. And don't forget to.

UT Southwestern

Medical Center

The future of medicine, today.