Jerry,

I plan to make a motion at tommorrow’s grotto meeting to help fund this.

Marvin

From: Texascavers [mailto:texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com] On Behalf Of
Jerryatkin via Texascavers
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2016 6:29 AM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Fwd: Powell’s Cave Gate Project Needs Your Help :

Just a reminder that the gate still needs funding.

Jerry.

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jerry <jerryat...@aol.com <mailto:jerryat...@aol.com> >
Date: June 9, 2016 at 3:21:56 AM MDT
To: Texascavers@texascavers.com <mailto:Texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: Powell’s Cave Gate Project Needs Your Help :

Powell’s Cave Gate Project Needs Your Help

 Powell’s Cave is the second longest cave in Texas, with 26.1 km of surveyed
passage. Treasure hunters dug the historic entrance open in the early 1900s and
it is now stabilized with a concrete culvert installed by volunteer cavers in
the late 1990s. The cave is used as a roost by a large colony of Cave Myotis
(Myotis velifer). Recently, during a scheduled visit to the cave, it was
discovered that trespassers had entered the cave and vandalized it, leaving
cans, bottles, and other miscellaneous trash in the cave. Unfortunately, this
also included spray-painting graffiti on the cave walls in the Crevice Passage
(see attached photos).

Concerns about protecting the integrity of the cave as well as the vulnerable
bat colony (estimated at about 10,000 individuals) have led to the decision to
install an above ground, bat-friendly, cupola-style gate, similar to the one
recently built for Ezell’s Cave in Hays County. Jim Kennedy of Kennedy
Above/Under Ground LLC has been contracted to build the gate and it is hoped
that it will be completed sometime in the next month or so.

As part of the agreement with the landowner, cavers will be paying for the
labor and ancillary costs of the gate construction, while the landowner will
pay for the materials. This was done to support continuing landowner relations
and demonstrate our commitment to the protection and stewardship of the cave.
We need to raise approximately $3300 to cover our end of the deal.

If you are interested in helping the project, please consider a cash pledge to
help in alleviating the costs. Powell’s Cave has been an important part of
Texas caving for more than 50 years, and hopefully will be open to recreational
caving and research for many years to come. If all goes well, there will be
clean up and restoration trips in the future that folks can volunteer for. Any
and all donations of time and money are greatly appreciated.

Pledges can be sent to:

Gerald Atkinson – Powell’s Cave Liaison

jerryat...@aol.com <mailto:jerryat...@aol.com>

If you have any questions, please email me. Thanks !

Photos courtesy of Arron Wertheim (May 2016)