The Texas Caver

So here we go again with the Texas Caver.  Every few years we are seeking a new
editor or at least discussing options that might disburse the rowdy crowds that
are assembling at the gates with torches and pitchforks.

What is gong on here?  Why is it that every few years there is a Texas Caver
crisis and a less than graceful transition to a new editor?

There is lots of talk about the Texas Caver.  From the outset, there seems to
have been some confusion regarding the difference between good journalism and
nice graphic arts. Unfortunately, neither has been regularly in evidence.
Maybe I've missed it, but I can't recall anyone praising the Caver for high
quality journalism or the reliability of production.  The editor has a few
passionate defenders who are willing to do battle with any and all detractors,
but the current editorial has now acknowledged what has been evident for
several years.

The coming transition is an opportunity to learn from previous mistakes. Texas
cavers appreciate good grammar, proper spelling, and nice graphics but, failing
that, are willing to forgive a lot if the Caver shows signs of having been
carefully crafted with attention to detail:  nice photographs properly
captioned and credited; articles well laid out with all elements present; no
space used as a personal blog; and perhaps most importantly, timely production.

I was handed a copy of the most recent Texas Caver at the TSA meeting Sunday
morning, October 16.  When I looked at the cover, my first thought was "huh?"
I rotated the page through 360 degrees as I searched in vain for a person or
anything for scale.  Despairing, I then looked inside for the caption
information.  I didn't find much.  The picture credits Peter Bosted and
apparently depicts a scene from the Big Island, Hawaii.  I infer that it
pictures something within a cave and is not merely a hand sample from a flea
market or mineral show.  As usual, there is no proper caption information.  A
closer look at the cover reveals "haul" to be misspelled and a Government
Canyon report proffered as being from "2105."  Those errors are egregious and,
sadly, are but a preview of others to come.

In the present issue (the word "current" can't properly be applied since it is
about six months late),  pages 4 and 5 are mostly filled with pictures—none
with caption information—and the top photo on page 4 suffers from a lack of
pixel information by at least one order of magnitude.  Where is the graphic
arts expertise we are often reminded of?  If a photo is essential and a small
file is the  best available, then please reduce the printed size.  At the top
of page 5 there is a full half page devoted to two guys stirring a large pot of
food. What about the "hero" shot at the top of page 6?  Neither photo is
captioned or credited.  It's a poor use of space that TSA's  hard copy
subscribers are paying for.  In fact, there is a lot of "white space" in every
issue.  I am reminded of some prior issues with long personal "blogs" that
should never have appeared in the Caver.  Furthermore, we are subjected to the
new English word, "givin."   Page 8  treats us to another low resolution photo
with no credit or caption.  Page 9 credits the photographer  but tells us
nothing else.  More of the same on pages 10-11.  Sadly, this trend continues
throughout the remainder of the issue with a few other photos offering no
information whatsoever.  This has been a problem for many years.  The Editor
seems unable to grasp the notion that a picture without caption information
looses a major portion of its potential value.  On pages 13-17 there is a
change from two columns to three; then a change back to two columns for pages
18-22.  Page 23 reverts to three columns once again.  Oh, well.  I wonder where
the back cover photo was made.  Is it a continuation of the "Forged in Fire"
photos from the previous two pages?  Who authored the few words of text that
accompany the photos?  "I had the good fortune. . . .  We spent a day. . . ."

It's discouraging to think that this is the best that Texas cavers can manage,

The Texas Caver has a long tradition of service to the Texas caving community.
It is the face that The Texas Speleological Association and Texas cavers show
to the world.  Prior to the advent of the Internet and all that it entails,
both good and bad, the Caver was the primary means of communication within the
Texas caving community.  Its appearance on a timely schedule was critically
important.  When the Caver faltered, so did Texas caving.  See pages 169-172 of
50 Years of Texas Caving for a more detailed story of the Texas Caver.

Some feel that Facebook and other social media are an effective substitute for
the Texas Caver.

I disagree.  Most of those postings will disappear quickly and do not
constitute an archive of events in Texas caving.  Moreover, they are not worthy
venues for the occasional quality feature about some aspect of Texas caving.

The Texas Caver is inextricably linked to the health of the TSA and to Texas
caving in general.  TSA members receive precious little for their membership
dues:  No membership list.  No copy of the Constitution and By-Laws.  No
mission statement.  No contact list of current officers and chairpersons.  No
special prices at TSA functions.  Not even a membership card.  Members pay dues
and are promised a digital newsletter and offered the opportunity to pay extra
for a hard copy newsletter.  Why would you choose to join such an organization?
 Will TSA issue a refund or offer a membership extension to those who paid for
printed newsletters?  I was a TSA member for more than fifty years but finally
dropped out in disgust a couple of years ago.

In some ways the fate of the Caver is a self-fulfilling story.  The enthusiasm
of the general Texas caver populace is tied to the quality and timeliness of
the publication.  It only takes a few instances of mishandled submissions and
delayed publication to discourage contributors from further support.  The Caver
should be the natural outlet and archive for articles of substance much as the
NSS News is an outlet and archive for items of a more national nature.

The Texas Caver HAS BEEN such a publication in the past.  And when it was,
Texas caving prospered.  For example, I invite you to peruse the February 1971
issue of the Texas Caver (available from the Texas Speleological Survey or from
the archives of  http://nckri.org/ ).  It's 20 pages, produced with a
typewriter and all that entails.  There is news from the A&I, Alamo,
Dallas-Fort Worth, and Rice grottos plus an astonishing 17 (seventeen!) trip
reports.  There are other worthwhile features such as Caver of the Month that
should be resurrected.

Those were the days!

Carl Kunath

NSS #6230 RF-PH