From: swrcav...@googlegroups.com [mailto:swrcav...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Geary Schindel
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:35 AM
To: 'texascavers@texascavers.com'; swrcav...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [SWR CAVERS] Bob Thrun has died

FYI,

Geary

Folks,

Wm Shrewsbury (the NSS President) told Yvonne Droms that Bob Thrun passed away
a couple weeks ago.  We don't know the date or the exact details, but I
understand Bob had been feeling ill (flu) the day before he passed away, and
apparently passed away in his sleep.

For those who didn't know Bob, he was a longtime caver who was very involved
with vertical techniques and cave surveying.  He joined the NSS and PSC in 1966.

Bob wrote one of the early books on vertical caving techniques, titled
Prusiking, in 1971.  He had a very extensive collection of historic vertical
caving equipment.

Bob had a very extensive library of caving books and newsletters and was also
the go-to source for material from it.

We don't know what happened to his library or his extensive vertical equipment
collection.

Bob was very involved with cave surveying.  He wrote the CMAP computer program,
one of the first computer programs to process cave survey data using
simultaneous loop closure to handle survey errors.  He also helped define and
publicize the use of standard cave map symbols.

I'm sorry about the rather sketchy information, but it's all I currently know.

Bob Hoke

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/swrcavers/BLUPR05MB216231F94AF53CB23AF3239D4560%40BLUPR05MB216.namprd05.prod.outlook.com.