From: swrcav...@googlegroups.com [mailto:swrcav...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Gill Ediger
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 12:56 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com; swrcav...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [SWR CAVERS] Re: [Texascavers] Bob Thrun has died

Sorry, Charlie, but you're thinking of Bob Thren, not Bob Thrun.

--Ediger

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:35 AM, Geary Schindel
<gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org> wrote:

FYI,

Geary

Folks,

Wm Shrewsbury (the NSS President) told Yvonne Droms that Bob Thrun passed away
a couple weeks ago.  We don't know the date or the exact details, but I
understand Bob had been feeling ill (flu) the day before he passed away, and
apparently passed away in his sleep.

For those who didn't know Bob, he was a longtime caver who was very involved
with vertical techniques and cave surveying.  He joined the NSS and PSC in 1966.

Bob wrote one of the early books on vertical caving techniques, titled
Prusiking, in 1971.  He had a very extensive collection of historic vertical
caving equipment.

Bob had a very extensive library of caving books and newsletters and was also
the go-to source for material from it.

We don't know what happened to his library or his extensive vertical equipment
collection.

Bob was very involved with cave surveying.  He wrote the CMAP computer
program, one of the first computer programs to process cave survey
data using simultaneous loop closure to handle survey errors.  He also
helped define and publicize the use of standard cave map symbols.

I'm sorry about the rather sketchy information, but it's all I
currently know.

Bob Hoke

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/swrcavers/1137915255.3694226.1488304573554%40mail.yahoo.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/swrcavers/1137915255.3694226.1488304573554%40mail.yahoo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>