From: Texascavers [mailto:texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com] On Behalf Of
Diana Tomchick via Texascavers
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 09:53
To: Cave Tex <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Cc: Diana Tomchick <diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] semi-final Road-Trip report

I second the idea of auto donation. Many years ago I had a 4-door sedan that
was in need of $1,500 (probably more) in repairs, but would only be worth about
$1,500 once I fixed it, and it was 13 years old. Time to get a new, more
reliable set of wheels, and I had no time or inclination to try to sell the
auto on my own, especially since I figured it was only worth about $500 as a
“parts car". So I donated it to the Salvation Army (they have a big training
center right across the street from where I work). It was so easy, they sent a
flatbed truck to my house and hauled it away, and they even took care of the
transfer of the title. About 6 months later I got a phone call from someone at
the Salvation Army telling me they had sold it at auction for $1,500 and they
would send me the information so I could use it as a tax deduction. It was a
win-win all the way around (except maybe for the person that bought it at
auction!),

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu>