From: Dwight [mailto:dirt...@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:16 PM
To: Geary Schindel <gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org>
Cc: Cave NM <swrcav...@googlegroups.com>; Cave Texas
<Texascavers@texascavers.com>; TAG Net <tag-...@hiddenworld.net>
Subject: The future of NSS membership

The future of NSS membership

There have been a series of really thoughtful comments in the blog on SW Cavers
about our membership, its growth, and the future. The most thoughtful and
productive so far is the recent one from Geary Schindel (see below).

I am in the middle of several time-consuming tasks, but want to throw my two
cents into the arena with the intent of contributing more, later. The Society
and the fellowship of other cavers has clearly been important to me for most of
my life. But my caving did not start out that way.

1. Historically the NSS has taken the attitude of not advertising or
encouraging non-cavers, as has already been discussed well by others. Is it
time to change? Were you once a non-caver? Did you have an interest in caves
before meeting NSS cavers?

2. In my personal experience young cavers were most easily recruited by Student
Grottoes. I was both a member and faculty sponsor of several. The lure of
adventure and discovery was usually secondary after the drive to meet potential
girl- or boy-friends. I remember that at "Club Night" in the fall we
deliberately selected and appropriately costumed the best looking girls to talk
to the freshman guys and the hunks to talk to the girls. An interest in cave
exploration (or cave science) mostly grew with the accumulation of the
experiences of discovery, more than "adventure". (As far as item 1 above, I
think in the earlier days it was the "adventure" part that we were trying NOT
to encourage. I don't think that has changed.)

There are several grottoes that made a transition from Student to Community
(Regular) grottoes. Sandia comes to mind but that happened while I was gone
(about 30 years) from Albuquerque. Was that a pivotal time when the ageing of
the grotto began? There are some grottoes who continue to have a good younger
membership. San Antonio (Bexar Grotto). I was impressed at the last few Texas
regional gatherings that I attended by the presence of a fair number of younger
members, but I have no idea of their stories. Geary describes some of the
reasons.

3. I have led a lot of "beginner" trips over the years. For initial,
non-vertical, trips I found a good way to foster a fascination in exploration
and discovery was to lead from behind once I felt that they had a general
competence in their equipment and common sense. I used Ft. Stanton cave for
that purpose a number of times. It was there I discovered the enthusiasm
fostered by monitoring, from the rear where possible, of the group of neophytes
working their way through easy but challenging passages such as Crystal Crawl
and even Hellhole. I can't recall specific instances, but from that group in
the 60s came some of our established leaders today - Harvey DuChene, John
Corcoran, Robbie Babb, Jim Hardy, Carol Carmine (now Belski), and a number of
others who discovered something about caves and themselves that interested them.

Send your new folks ahead into somewhere you know is not dangerous but will
lead to an attractive surprise. Let them discover for themselves. The Oh Wow!
factor. Not just some "pretty little room" where the struggle is to turn around
and agree that yes, it was pretty little.

There never will be an agreement on how far to go "advertising" caving as an
activity. I have seen the NSS grow from a fairly small number of groups each
with only a few people with a shared focus (and not-so shared, beyond something
vaguely related to "caves") to a large and occasionally unwieldy organization
with more than 10,000 members. Our founders have matured and died. Our
individual and societal wealth has grown. Our individual interests and focus
has changed. Who, in the 50s and 60s, realistically thought the NSS itself
would actually OWN caves? Society has changed and people-pressure has been put
on wilderness, both above and below ground. Out west we now have to plan ahead
and get permits to go into a cave on public lands, not just decide Friday night
where to go caving on Saturday. The hardest core who have discovered the lure
of virgin cave continue charging onward, usually surmounting significant
physical and personal hardships. But the rest? The "average" caver? How did
they first get interested and why have they stayed involved? Does your own
story offer lessons for others in the future?

Myself? Not sure it helps in this day and age. I was an enthusiastic beginning
caver with a college outing club in upstate New York. I was already an
outdoorsman and explorer of the woods, mountains, lakes, and rivers. Caving
seemed like a logical extension. Girls? Yes, well sort of. Still a freshman,
they were a secondary lure to the outing club but girls did not go on our
caving trips. I was at an all-male school (well, 4,000 guys and 3 women
undergrads). We met the girls mostly on the square dance outings, clearly
separate from caving adventures. One Saturday I drove past some dirty people at
the side of a rural road with an out-of-state license plate. Recognizing they
must have just come out a cave that I knew about, I went back and started
talking with them. As I was starting to drive off, a big ol' boy came up and
handed me a slip of paper. Months later I sent it in as it was an NSS
membership application. The big ol' boy had signed it (in those days you had to
be endorsed by an NSS member). His name was Russ Gurnee and his name meant
absolutely nothing to me. (Russ had a personal objective of recruiting
individuals who were already exploring caves and carried NSS membership
applications with him for that purpose.) As it turned out, I really had nothing
to do with the NSS except read the NEWS for the next 4 years. My initial
interest in the Society was a curiosity about what else was out there in the
bigger caving world and the NEWS seemed like a good place to start. I did do a
lot of caving along with numerous other outdoor pursuits, mostly with Outing
Club friends although some from Virginia and Pennsylvania also happened to be
NSS members. I did not need the NSS to find caves or caving companions. I did
not go to NSS meetings. That changed after I went to my first NSS convention -
Carlsbad 1960, where I discovered the "family" that shared mutual interests. By
then I was already a seasoned caver and had started to map Jewel Cave in South
Dakota. At Carlsbad Will White encouraged my interest in the geology of caves
on a Nittany Grotto mapping trip in the Guadalupe's and I was invited to come
to Flint Ridge later that summer. So I guess I was recruited into the NSS in
the traditionally most ideal manner. Unfortunately, although that model will
still collect a few unusual individuals, it won't easily grow a stagnating,
ageing Society in 2018.

This is a good discussion. I look forward to it continuing. Perhaps we should
shift it to a larger forum that reaches more of the Society?

Geary; where do you suggest we go from here?

Dwight Deal