When I have been asked about newbies going to Lech I have always stressed
the skills and general fitness and competence needed. However, I have also
said that someone with determination and w/o too serious health issues can
undertake learning and practice, attach oneself to smaller mapping projects
and learn some skills so as to make oneself useful, and they could hope to
get into the cave, perhaps on project trips if not exploration. And I know
several people who have done just that. Our grotto chairman is a new caver
but has done a whole bunch of caves in just a few years, is strong,
vertically competent , and is becoming a mapper. He recently went into Lech
and did fine. The idea and perception of extreme exclusivity and
cliquishness is  hugely counter-productive.  Being encouraging   is not the
same as  casually suggesting that just anyone can go.

As someone who has occasionally caved in penny loafers and flannel slacks
(after dinner with the governor in Bermuda - an island of 60 thousand, so
caving with the governor is about the same as caving with the mayor of
Carlsbad, but just more formal), I am not put off by someone who attends a
meeting for the first time in semiformal attire. What did she wear the
second time? Some people are just more formal than others, and it has
nothing to do with experience or capabilities. I'd suggest that it  is no
stranger than the Randy Gandy folk? One friend drives a classic Aston
Martin, but is perfectly comfortable slogging through the mud with the rest
of us. Being flexible is as much a state of mind as a state of one's
physical body.