Welp, the cats out of the bag over on Facebook so I figured I’d give it a
mention here.

Not much info in the public post and being that I’m not on Facebook I can’t
read into the reply’s. As I understand it, the University of Texas is no longer
willing to allow visitors* to the University Speleological Society meetings.
They also instituted advance paperwork to be completed for hosting guest*
speakers.

* a visitor and/or guest is anyone not affiliated with the university through
enrollment or employment.

Obviously, this excludes practically everyone in the Underground Texas Grotto
and will likely result in the end of a University Speleological Society. At
least moving forward we wont have to dance around with semantics as if there’s
two different organizations.

We’ve known this could happen for quite some time, so a dedicated few have
actually already done some research in the realm of meeting spaces. It won’t be
easy to replace what we had so if you have any novel contacts or leads I'm sure
the officers would appreciate you reaching out.

The Facebook post suggested “this week’s meeting may unfortunately just have to
be canceled” [sic]. While I don’t anticipate finding a replacement meeting
facility on this short of notice, I would suggest many will still rally at The
Posse East this Wednesday - for what might well be the last time. Wasn’t that
where the Underground Texas Grotto officially meets, anyway.