Apparently you didn't read my email.  An option to reply is to call them.
Which I did.  It was a pleasant experience.  They verified my info and
asked what info I  authorized to be included in the publication.
They asked my if I wished to purchase a directory and I told them not at
this time.  And that was it.
I'm proud to be a member of the NSS
and am happy to include my contact info.  Perhaps one day I might find
someone I once knew through this effort. Perhaps someone will need a place
to stay or help with a broken auto while cruising through San Antonio and
I'm the only one listed.  I'd be able to help them.
I doubt the motives of the NSS are nefarious and the ownership of the
company collecting the information is contractually obliged not to
deceminate our information to any other entities save our own.
The solution to not having your information compromised is to choose not to
participate.
All this pissing  and moaning is petty and becoming tiresome.
Just opt out. That simple.