According to this article the Peregrine pokes along at only 60 mph in
horizontal flight and can only hit top speed while diving; whereas, the Common
swift clocks in at 69 mph, still a bit pokey. Like the Peregrine, I believe
swifts can dive much faster than they can fly horizontally.

 I once had the pleasure of visiting Hoya de las Guaguas on a trip led by
Dapper Don B (who wears button down shirts and always seemed unnaturally
clean!)

While resting at the bottom of the first drop, which I suppose to be around 700
feet down, I became aware what sounded like small sonic booms. At first I
couldn't figure out what was causing it, but when I went to the top of the
scree slope and looked straight up I could see that Swifts we diving down into
the pit so fast that, like a speeding bullet, they could only be seen when they
were coming straight toward me. Just before hitting me between the eyes they
would suddenly bank, turn, then plunge down into the lower pit. It was the
banking and turning that was creating the booms. The birds were traveling so
fast that if I looked at their flight path diagonally I couldn't see them.

I once observed a similar "sonic boom" phenomenon while watching the mating
displays of male nighthawks which plummet straight down from the heavens to
within a few feet of the ground to impress the ladies, much as do the "land
diving" cannibals of Vanuatu. It is said that the booming sound is purposefully
produced by the ruffling of feathers, not because they are breaking the sound
barrier. This is an evolved behavior practiced by all male Nighthawks, but can
the same be said of the Swifts screaming down into Hoya de las Guaguas? Swifts
also have a spectacular aerial mating display, but I don't think it includes
flying straight toward the ground to make a mechanical noise.

Is it possible that the Swifts are actually breaking the sound barrier as they
dive, wheel, and turn, much in the manner of a cracking whip? If so they would
be by far the fastest animals on earth!

Sleaze

Ps: One other thing in regard to bats, whip cracking, and speed. In the
suburban Maryland of my youth I would often fly fish at dusk. Even when I
couldn't catch fish I would often catch bats on the wing with a tiny fly. Great
sport!