>From David Locklear
( hit delete button now )

Back in 2011, there was quite a few cavers that were
hostile towards Facebook.    Trying to plan any caving
event and mention Facebook, and one was met with
unpleasant feedback.

Ironically, at that same time, Google Plus was just
getting its baby teeth.     So I took it upon myself to
make a fancy Google Plus Page for the NSS and I
emailed all the gurus and explained the concept.
At that time, lots of cavers had a Gmail address already,
so why not try to plan things using this new Google Plus
thing.

NSS approved my request, and within a few weeks, the
official NSS Page had 150 real NSS members on it.

The powers that be, did not like the idea of someone
controlling it without their micromanaging of it.    In the spring of 2012,
the page was active, because I was enthusiastically putting
an effort into it.    But they made me turn it over to them, and
I knew what would happen, but by that point I had far more important
things to be doing with my spare time.    I knew the page would get watered
down,
to be so vague and generic that it
would not offer anything that any of the other on-line sources
offered.     I never followed it after that point which was about
6 years ago.    Although I was aware that 3 cavers liked
it and they still regularly posted stuff.

I just looked at the page for the first time in about 5 years,
and there have been 2 generic post in the past month.

      https://plus.google.com/111610247864593899054

And the Community Section has only had one recent post nearly 2 months
ago.

     https://plus.google.com/communities/100328245514364040731

Anyways, everybody knows Google Plus never took off.    And
Google announced last year or the year before that it would
eventually die.     In today's news, Google announced it was
dead, but they would keep it enabled for another 4 months.

Meanwhile the younger generation has fully adopted Facebook
and other forms of social media.     I do not follow any of them
and for the past 2 years have tried hard to stay off of Facebook.

You often hear about the successes and achievements of cavers,
but seldom do you hear about the losers.    Among my many other
failed ideas, was the East Texas Caver's Cookout, and
the Speleo-Stationwagon, the GHG Christmas Auction Fundraiser, and marrying
a girl from the Sierra Madres, thinking that I would get to go caving in
Mexico whenever
I wanted to.    The list
is probably much longer.

The good news is that somehow, I managed
to have a beautiful bilingual teenage daughter, I call "Cavepearl."    She
is having
a Quincenera in about 9 months, and is already planning an extravagant
event, that she claims I must attend.

And while I have your attention,

I wanted to drive to Austin Monday, to attend part of Mr. Prince's funeral,
but I just
had too much work, and stuff.   I spent about 30 minutes fretting or
pondering over
the drive, and finally decided, I just can't go to every caver's funeral or
wake.   Had
it been in Houston, I could have gone to at least part of it.

If anybody is passing thru Houston during the last week of December, I have
a guest room
in my new apartment with a clean twin-size bed.
Address:   4545 Cook Rd.  # 716, Houston, TX 77072

D.L.