Precipicio
 I will jump in on this recap of a favorite old cave.
Last time I was in Bustamente Canyon 6-8 years ago on Runi, Ron's and
Strickland's yearly clean up trips in Palmito I ask about the status of
Precipicio and it was closed, owned or run by the same organization that
operates Palmito. So be interesting to read Nico's update.
When I arrived in Texas the fall of 1972 Precipicio had just been "discovered."
Not absolutely sure of the cavers who pioneered that hike of several hours but
pretty sure included Blake, Dan Watson and, I should dig up his map-maybe John
Graves. Graves turned out to be a good cartographer, equal of Neil Morris. That
group, w/o Neil, had recently surveyed the upper level above the drops. I was
on the second survey which did the big room. The third and last survey trip was
by Hal Lloyd and me and we bottomed the cave, following a lead of Blake's.
Later, the tight vertical squeeze at the beginning of that lower level
extension was "enlarged."...Mary Kay was also on the big room survey.
On the hike down the slopes---the slopes in places were covered with just the
right size of small rocks, you could "ski" down by running jumping and
launching yourself, digging in your heals at the risk of breaking something. No
one was ever hurt.
Apparently, the adventures rappelling from the entrance were the next decade.
At that time I think Precipcio not only had one of largest rooms in the world,
but was 20th deepest in Mexico.
Preston Forsythe, Browder, KY....may have sent this twice?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android