David's story about Toyotas in Mexico reminds me of a trip to Purificación I was on with Peter Sprouse, probably in the '80s or '90s. There were several 4WD Toyota pick ups and one other non-Toyota vehicle. We went over some pretty rough roads, and the only vehicle that did not make it was the Chevy/Ford/whatever. I always felt pretty invincible in my Toyota.

Mark Minton
mmin...@caver.net

On 2019-03-09 20:34, David wrote:
-----------------------
Anyways, the most memorable part of the trip ( for me only ) was that
my entire 26 year old life I had been thoroughly brainwashed that
Ford's were the best and imports, especially Toyotas were junk. [
Sidenote:   My biological father was a card-carrying 40 year member of
American Automobile Workers Union, although he was a career employee
of Bell Helicopter.  And my grandpa was a WW2 Veteran, and as anti-Jap
as one could be.  And my step-father thoroughly instilled in me that
companies outside the USA, illegally cloned all American technology. ]

Back to the Bill part.

Bill taught me on that trip how wrong I had been taught.  The 4Runner
could go places the Bronco could not, and was 10 times more reliable
than the Bronco.