Mark, I believe your assessment that the older female cavers disappeared or
dropped out - or became more cautious and lived longer - is correct. Of the 5
in the Temple Cavers from 1973, I was the only one who continued to actively
cave for very long once away from a grotto!  Yet, once I had a child, I quit
rope work. Of course, being married to my cave man kept me totally involved in
that world! Once many graduate, start careers, marry and possibly have kids,
the female caver’s priorities probably change just by the nature of what they
do and who they are to their family. Not as easy to say “honey, I’m going on a
cave trip, so you need to watch the kids and take care of everything else” when
you are the wife/mother figure in the relationship. Especially if you married a
non-caver! Many jobs do not have extensive leave time. Single female cavers
might have to choose work over recreation to survive - or choose work that is
not close enough to great cave areas to stay active. I remember a number from
the late 60’s - 70’s forward who could fit these statistics and are probably
alive and as well as their particular health situation allows, wherever they
are today.  Some will be cavers at heart till they pass, but are no longer
active. Others may just have chalked up that time as one of many passing life
experiences. Hard for true old time cavers to see this, but life happens, and
can change one’s perspective. So, the statistics don’t have all the variables.

Mimi Jasek
NSS 15206

PS In going through some stuff recently, we found our TSA membership cards from
back in the late 70’s or early 80’s!! Talk about memory cave lane 😊

Sent from my iPhone