If you make the repair using duct tape or something similar, consider
putting in a couple of stitches with a sewing awl. That will go a long way
toward preventing the repair from pulling apart. Alternatively, I've just
used the tape starting at the 2-meter mark, or whatever, and subtracting 2
m from every shot. Many modern data reduction programs even have a built-in
provision for such corrections, just as they do for compass corrections.
Although of course this is a possible source of error if someone does it
wrong.

Better yet, get a DistoX and forget about tapes, compasses and clinometers
once and for all. Even a simple unmodified Disto would be a cheap and
better alternative to a tape under most circumstances.

Mark Minton