CULTURAL QA04-2021-07

Being  a compilation there may  be errors 




Q1         How can I improve mysleep quality?

A1          Hamilton Armstrong March2, 2019 Instructor at Aoyama Gakuin 
University (1994–present)

Disclaimer: I am one of the world’s best sleepers. I have been this wayall of 
my 62 years. I sleep deeply, all night every night, pretty much. :)

I do think that sleep patterns are largely related to age and geneticmake-up. 
Babies and teenagers sleep a lot, but at odd times. Older people maynot need to 
sleep as much (I am an exception to this). But obviously there area few things 
that can enhance almost anyone’s —except extremeoutliers—experiences:

Go out and be in the sun in the morning and middle of the day. This setsyour 
circadian rhythms properly and leads to a natural cycle of rest later on.

Don’t nap in the daytime. I am congenitally incapable of doing this but Iknow 
some people do. I don't get it. How can you be properly tired at night ifyou 
sleep in the day?

Exercise and get tired. ((duh :))

Don’t eat or drink anything but a bit of water for at least two hoursbefore 
going to bed. For drinks, particularly avoid sweet drinks or alcohol inthis 
timeframe. How can you sleep well if your stomach is fighting a lot offood to 
digest or having the chemical swings of sugar or alcohol?

Bed is for sex and sleep. No books, no tv in bedroom/sight, andespecially no 
iPhone. People really mess themselves up with the screen lightswaking up their 
brains. This is where people need to discipline themselves.Most people just 
don’t want to give up these habits . . . 

Never go to bed angry. Sometimes things may be irresolvable beforebedtime but 
it is enough to speak and say “let’s talk about this more tomorrow.We can’t 
resolve it now. Sleeping on it will help us calm down and get itsolved. “

Go to bed at a fairly regular time each night, workday or weekend.Exceptions 
are fine but be generally regular. This really helps.

Start turning things down—-lights, stimulating conversations, 
provocativemedia—for an hour or so before going to bed.

Are you a night bath person or morning shower person? I am a morningshower 
person. But, I will sometimes take a relaxing warming bath beforebedtime. Not a 
big deal but just a few minutes to warm my body in the winter.(Yes, this may be 
influenced by living in Japan. It is not only the norm herebut all homes have 
deep bathtubs for this very purpose.)

Room should be cool for relaxing sleep. I don’t wear restrictive or manyclothes 
to bed but have appropriate covers. I tend to like a heavier cover butsome do 
better with lofty light duvets.

Bed should be somewhat firm. Too soft a bed will make you tired and notsleep 
well. We sleep on a big futon flat on the floor (tatami-rice matting) somaybe 
harder than most . . .

Most Important Point (and this is where I think most people fail):develop a 
strategy for gradually turning off your brain. I do this by sayinggoodnight 
lovingly to the whole family, turning off the light, mentallycommitting to this 
moment of Going to Sleep, turning over on my side, tuckingthe covers around me. 
a couple of deep breaths (sighs), and then I startmentally knitting.

Yes, knitting. It is Second Nature to me and the most relaxing andmeditative 
thing I know. Within a few stitches I am deeply asleep. What is your“knitting” 
. . . that thing that soothes you, that is your balm and therapy?That is the 
thing you should think about in order to sleep.

I hope that these tips help people to take common-sense steps to improvetheir 
sleep. I know that some people have trouble “turning off” their brains ormay be 
genetically hard-wired to insomnia. I still think some of these tips mayhelp a 
bit . . . :)

 

Q2         Is there any range ofdistance within which TTE can't give my berth 
to someone else if I can't traveland forgot to cancel my ticket?

A2          Subhasis Dutta Roy April2-2021 Working in Indian Railways at Indian 
Railways (2001–present)

Though it is commonly known that TTE will wait for next one or twostoppage 
station after departure of train for those confirmed ticket holderpassengers 
who failed to turn up.

But after that TTE will allotthat vacant or not turn up seat or berth to next 
deserving passenger.

But the truth is totally different. There is no such system of waiting ofnext 
one tow station for not turn up passenger from TTE side.

As per Railway system

Any further accommodation becoming available on the platform, due topassengers 
holding reserved tickets not turning up, etc., should be allotted tothe 
remaining passengers on the waiting list, if any, in the order of priority,10 
minutes before thedeparture of the train. If, however, the waiting list is 
alreadyexhausted, accommodation may be allotted on the basis of 'first come, 
firstserved' amongst those who turn up on the platform without having 
registeredthemselves in the waiting list earlier.

So it is clear that if anypassenger having confirm ticket , failed to turn up 
before 10 minutes from thedeparture of train, his/her seat or berth may be 
allotted to next deservingpassenger. [1]

Footnotes [1] CHAPTER VI RESERVATION OF BERTHS

My note- I recollect in arailway guide read before years that TTE should wait 
till the next stop before allotting berth to the RAC passenger.  I think the 
rule quoted is amended later since RAC is not mentioned.Just like sleeping time 
changed from 9PM to 10 PM in the night. Probablyamendment not incorporated. 
RespectedSubhash Datta roy is directly recruited class 1 officer in  Indian 
Railway 

 

Q3         Whether India isimproving in technical fields?

A3          Recently I wastravelling to my grandmother’s place. She lives in a 
rural area in MadhyaPradesh. It is a 120 km travel to her place. On the way we 
halted to have somebreakfast at a dhaba. I found this below brand new bus 
standing just nearby. Seeing the logos on the bus,definitely I got a hint that 
it is not a passenger bus.

I entered the bus and to my surprise, I found a well designed airconditioned 
computer lab which can seat 25 students. The bus is equipped withall modern 
communication facilities.

The bus is a Govt. of MadhyaPradesh initiative to impart computer education in 
rural areas.

The person above is the teacher who serves rural students and impartsthem 
computer education.

We interacted with both the guys and wished them best of luck for all thegood 
work they are doing.

This is one of the most simple, amazing and powerful innovations I found.

 

Q4                    Why was the light year invented?

A4          Andrew Seaman, formerProfessor at Saint Mary's University 
(1966-2007) 9-4-2021

A light year is not actually ameasure of time, but a measure of distance. There 
was a need for some really large measure of distance in order toexpress the 
huge distances involved once you go beyond our solar system. Since light 
travels at 186,000 milesper second, it goes a loooooong way in a year. Even the 
closest starto us is about 4 light years away, which is nearly 25 trillion 
miles. You cansee that you need a longer “yardstick” to measure cosmic 
distances, consideringthat our galaxy, one of trillions, is about 100,000 light 
years wide.

2ND ANSWER- RavichandranH, former Worked in private sectors. (1978-2007)

The astronomical distance between two stars or between two galaxies is sovast 
that it cannot be expressed in kilometres. That's why, the distancetravelled by 
light, @ 300, 000 kms/ sec., for one year ( i. e. 300,000 × 60 ×60× 24 × 365 
kms ) is taken to be one light year, for calculating purpose. 

 

Q5         Is India changing?

A5          Abhishek Anand April 12,2020 Founder at Non-Governmental 
Organizations (2020–present)

Yes, My India is changing.

Few days back I was travelling with the Indian Railways. My train was ontime. 
After comfortably settling I noticed that someone had spat on the window sill. 
But Ididn't mind as I know we Indians don't know a thing about cleanliness 
andsocial hygiene.

Looked like this -

After a while, I recalled one advertisement of Ministry of Railways wherea 
helpline number was given to call at for any grievance redressal. I tried 
myluck but didn't get through. Then I tweeted this picture to the Ministry 
ofRailways.

After a couple of hours, two coach cleaning group members came. They werevery 
polite and even apologised for the inconvenience caused, cleaned thewindow sill 
and requested to fill the feedback form.

I was overwhelmed by such a quick response. Even my fellow passengerswere 
startled. One of them asked how did I reach them and then I shared withhim 
about my tweet. They were happy too to know that our India is changing.

Thanks to Ministry of Railways, Government of India for such a wonderfulservice.

My note- The coaches are cleaned before coming to platform from yard. 
Mechanicalcleaning. Why suchcleaning was not done already by a supervising 
staff?  Many shutters are falling down. Why they arenot attended?  However 
cleaning services are best in many sectors– I admit 

 Q6         Why couldn't Bhishma justget up from the bed of arrows and continue 
fighting?



A6          Samsher Chatankar UpdatedSeptember 13, 2020 Former Studying in 12th 
Standard

Good question. Why couldn't Bhisma just get up from bed of arrows andcontinue 
fighting?

1. Bhisma had boon of dying byhis own wish but you have tounderstand how this 
boon works.

2. As per his boon his soulwill not leave his body but Bhismastill will feel 
pain.

3. Like his injuries will notheal immediately like otherimmortals.

4. When Arjuna pierced Bhismawill arrows he must have feltgreat amount of pain.

5. He will not die but he will feel that pain.

6. Imagine your body pierced with arrows, how will you continue to fight?

7. He can't even move because he was in unbearable pain.

8. Anyone except Bhisma would have preferred to die than tolerating thismuch 
pain.

9. And he can't continue fight further simply his body will not supporthim. He 
will fall down if tried to stand up.

10. His bones were broken, organs were cut off and imagine the amount ofblood 
gone from his body.

Indeed it's great how he chosen to live in such a terrible condition.*Editsare 
welcome*

 

Q7         What's the thingscientists invented but they regret about it?

A7          Arshu Sharma, MBBSElementary School and Elementary Schools & 
Central Board of SecondaryEducation, India (2018) 9-4-2021

The well known   famous scientist like sir Albert Einsteinregret on 
hisrevolutionary discovery of E = Mc² , Because he did not intended itfor 
countries

 

to attack each other using atom bomb which is only possible from thisequation. 

 

Q8         What is costly, making 1km of a national highway or a railway track?

A8          Prashant Tiwari UpdatedJanuary 1, 2020 Stock analyst and Indian 
Railways Enthusiast

It is exciting to know whether building 1 km four lane national highwayis 
costly or 1 km of railway track.

National Highways Authority ofIndia (NHAI) estimate the average cost of 
building fourlane highways at Rs 8-9crore per km and six-lane highways at 
around Rs 14 crore per km, inclusive of land costs.

whereas

Construction of one kilometer of normal railway track costs around 10–14crores 
whereas constructionof one kilometer of high speed railway track will cost Rs 
100-140 crores.

Constructing one kilometre of metro track costs 60–70 crores.

Note: Construction cost of bothhighways and railway tracks depends on various 
factors and it may vary time to time and place to place. 

 

Q9         How did ancients liftheavy stones?

A9          Kerry Kleckner 9-4-2021 FormerCivil Engineering

That question is asked often. How did they build the pyramids? I suspect with a 
lot of manpowerand the use of rollers and pulleys (with tripods) was the main 
source ofdevices.

I think they used barges on rivers to float large stone over distances. The 
Nile used to run close to where the pyramids are located. (Look atan old map.) 
Toobad they didn’t record how it was done or no one has found it yet. That 
infomight have gone up in flames at the Library of Alexandra.

All the above QA are based on Quora on 09-04 - 2021. Quora answers neednot be 
100% correct answers 

Compiled and posted by R. Gopala krishnan on 09-4- 2021 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/428345573.247658.1617981921559%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to