MOOKILLA RAJYATTHU 

MURIMOOKAN RAJAVU (Part 1). 

Dear friends, 

After serials and night mealswith wheat rice and three karondas (A type of 
cherry) as sweet after meals, Iswitched the TV. In the Kappa TV, it was a 
program, an interview with actressMenaka. 

On seeing her what came to me washer telling in another interview.  Shewas 
waiting to see a director, and looking at a lizard on roof top havingnothing to 
do, moving tongue to either side as if trying to touch the nose.While the 
director suddenly entered, he noticed her efforts to touch the nosewith tongue, 
he liked very much her action and booked her as heroine. 

I thought in the night to writeon nose today. There was an earlier posting in 
2012 November by me on Nose whichI have almost re-written now. Hope an 
enjoyable reading. 

Sincerely,

Gopala Krishnan 9-4-2021. 

1 Mookilla rajyatthumurimookan rajavu. 

It carries the meaning- In acountry where no persons have nose, the one with a 
cut nose is the king. Asaying carrying many meanings. 

I laughed myself thinking of themeaning for a while. The importance a person 
vanish when a superior to him posted in aplace of work. I have used the word 
vanish because it is not reducing. I haveexperienced it while working at 
Training centre at Trivandrum. On upgrading adirector was posted and hitherto 
the DE occupying has to change to a smallcabin made separated from Lecturers 
room. For a long time, he was talking toothers- what is the necessity of a 
Director here? Every day he had to report todirector, and director’s decision 
became order. 

2. Sasthrikal coming for functions. 

In my home there was a seniorIyer knowing something of vaideekam. He could 
conduct srardha, upakarmam etc.He was VIP in our native from my child hood and 
even when I was in employmentfor about 10 years. Hewas a serious person with 
children. He had a book for reference ofmanthras. 

When upanayanam, marriage, death etc.come in a family; satirical was invited 
from Mannar or Mavelikkara.  His job was to assist to them during 
suchfunctions. The satirical would not bring any assistant honouring him and 
his works.  

Because of his seriousness duringchild hood days, secretly we used to say 
“Murimookkanu sthanam poyata”, talking abouthim (His position has lost) in such 
occasions. 

As I got matured, I could understandhis situation and itwas his way of living 
and my respect grew up much to him. I couldrealise his attitude too was 
different with elders I could understand. He washonoured by all. 

When I was writing about rivers,I gave the title- “Narmada Sindhu Kaveri”, and 
continued with “Godavarinamosthuthae”.I still remember esteemed member Sri 
Sithamalli Balasubramoniam of USB group wrote to me, giving thecorrect version. 
And Ireplied to him, our local satirical has taught us that way. It wasthe way 
I was reciting during all the upakarmas. 

3. Thanne jnan Mooku kondu Ksha ezhuthikkum. 

The saying in Malayalam has roughtranslation as “I will make you to write with 
nose the Malayalam letter” Ksha”(which has so many bends). Simple meaning 
defeat to the feet. Nampoothries veryoften I have seen making use of the saying 
than others. 

Nampoothiries use the word/letterIksha to say well done also. If a feast / 
function is very good Nampoothirieswould use ക്ഷ (Iksha) aayito mention it. 

4. Soorpanakha. 

I have read elsewhere, the fightbetween Rama and Ravana would not have 
occurred, if the nose of Soorpanakha was not cut byLakshmana. 

I am detailing a little.Soorpanakha was a cousin of Ravana.  Oneday Soorpanakha 
found Sri Rama and Lakshmana in the forest near their hermitageand she advanced 
towards Sri Rama attracted by his beauty with a request tomarry her. Sree Rama 
pleaded that he is married and directed her to approach LAKSHMANA TELLING HE IS 
NOTMARRIED. 

Lost with Sree Rama, she feltslightly insulted, and approached Lakshmana. 
Lakshmana too pleaded he wasmarried. She in insult started advancing to both, 
not believing both andLakshmana had to cut her nose to stop the advancing. 

Soorpanaksha with bleeding noseapproached Ravana. She said, she saw a very 
beautiful woman, MOST SUITED TORAVANA and she would be fittest to be HIS WIFE.  
She never talked of her approach to marry her to Sri Ramaor Lakshmana. She kept 
it with herself. 

Based on Surpanakha’s sexydescriptions, Ravana got attracted to Sita and he 
could not control himself withoutgetting her.  

I am not sure, whether Sri Ramatold that Lakshmana as unmarried for joke or 
not. I have read so. 

5, Mookattam (To the level of nose) 

Mostly the word is used with displeasingthings. “Mookkattamkutichittu” means a 
person has consumed liquor and lost all balance. “Mookattam katam” means 
aperson has taken loan from every person. 

“Mookkattam oonu kazhicchttu” means a person feeling somesort of drowsiness 
after eating food to the stage of vomiting. 

6. Kili mookku, Onan mookku, chappana mooku.. 

A person having slightly bendnose is told having kili mooku (parrot nose). A 
person having lengthy nose iscalled Oona Moonchi (Chameleon nose. A person 
having slightly flat nose istold- chappana moonchi etc. In general people 
having parrot nose is observed more angry andknowledgeable in nature. 

 7. Mookkutthi (Nose stud) 

Normally women adorn golden ordiamond stud in nose. Before marriage it is a 
practice to pierce nose and adornnose stud to girls. In olden days the bride 
groom’s side used to demand thebride to be adorned with diamond stud in nose 
and ears.  Now diamond has been come so common, mostjewellery gives first 
priority to their diamonds like- “Malabar Diamonds andGolds.  :”Demanding”- 
Such a word hasdisappeared from dictionary in the context of marriage from 
bride groom sidenow for things.  Ear studs are worn oneither side or one side 
of the nose as it is felt by the girl. 

7. Mookintae attathu deshyam (A person getting angry often for small 
negligence) 

Some people used to get angryimmediately and even for small things not perfect 
in their view.  As if waiting for an occasion to get angrythey would get angry. 
Nothing can be told of them.  During auspicious functions etc., every care 
istaken, they do not get angry and spoil things. 

8. Mooku murikkuka (Nose cut) 

Certain people will be appearingwith such pride and boasting talks, everybody 
cannot, but some persons willjust talk one or two words and after that, they 
will remain silent. 

Recently I was in a Railwaystation in Kerala. One Lawyer under influence of 
liqour was unwontedly talkingto other passengers, especially to women. They 
were trying to avoid the maximumto reply. 

One young man hale and healthywas observing it for some time. He got up, 
reached advocate, asked him – Theyare not answering you, still you are talking, 
what is your DISEASE?  It was a nose cut for him. 

He became silent in a second andvanished in a minute from the area. The liqour 
effect had vanished on hiswords. 

I will post on another day- 2nd part for my nose.

 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/1160785475.206061.1617968508014%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to