PILLOW- THALAYANA PART1

Dear friends,

Many times when the pillow heightwas  more or highly stuffed, I have
feltdifficulty in getting sleep. I want a pillow of desired height and
mediumstuffed- Normally Idesignate- MY PILLOW. This is in the normal course of
time.

When I am  extremely tired, anything to raise head liketelephone directory,
cardboards, wooden plank etc is sufficient to get sleep. Ihave seen my late
grandmother seeing suddham using a wooden plank for her afternoon siesta.

If I am  relaxing by lying in the sofa in the night ,sofa cushion is sufficient
for  pillow .I had many occasions getting sleep while listening TV in the night
and wake upafter an hour or more.

While my pillow is required at home, intravel through trains that small pillow
given to me gives full comfort if inthe AC coaches. In sleeper class  mysmall
hand bag becomes pillow.

I understand at one time likegranite cot, people used to have granite pillows
too attached to one end

If one is worried, tensioned orin the preparation of a journey or excited in a
happy or non happy mood, sleepmay not come at all. I recollect the Tamil film
song- Palirukkum Pazhamirukkum,Panchanayil kattu varum, Thookkam varathu. (
Milk is there, fruits are there,nice pillow is there, but sleep is  notcoming..
 I thought of collecting someinformation on pillows. The following is a
compilation

Sincerely,

Gopala Krishnan 26-9-2016

Re posted on 20-4-2021 after editing and updating.R.Gopala Krishnan

1     Why do they call it a pillow?

A bag or case made of cloth thatis filled with feathers and other soft
material, and is used to cushion thehead during sleep or rest. Anything used to
cushion the head; headrest: apillow of moss. Also called lace pillow.

2     What is a pillow stuffed with?

In contemporary western culturepillows consist of a fabric envelope which
contains a soft stuffing, which mayrange from downfeathers to synthetic foam.
In other cultures, PILLOWS HAVE BEENMADE OF WOOD OR STONE. Bed pillows are
typically covered with a clothpillowcase.

3     Origin of word Pillow

The word pillow-The word pillowcomes from Middle English pilwe, from Old
English pyle (akin to Old High Germanpfuliwi) and from Latin pulvinus. The
first known use of the word pillow wasbefore the 12th century.

4     Why do they call it a husbandpillow?

Husband pillows derive their namebecause the backrest is firm and supportive
and the arms mimic a human, thusearning the name husband. It is used to prop
the user upright while in bed oron the floor, as for reading or watching
television. Because of this common use, a husband pillow isalso called a
reading pillow
5     Cushion
A pillow is used to sleep on andsupport the head/neck or other parts of the
body while sleeping, lying down orsitting. In addition, pillows have decorative
uses and are used on beds,couches or chairs; these are ALSO REFERRED TO AS
CUSHIONS.

My note- A pillow used in sofa is called Cushion  is a new information to me .
Normally we differentiate pillow with bed andcushion with chairs, sofas.

6     Pillow making

In contemporary western culturepillows consist of a plain or patterned fabric
envelope (pillowcase) whichcontains a soft stuffing, which may range from down
feathers to synthetic foam.In other cultures, pillows have been made of wood or
stone. Bed pillows aretypically covered with a cloth pillowcase. Pillows used
in a living room typically have a sturdycloth cover.

7     Throw pillows

There are also throw pillows(also called toss pillows or pillow shams in
different worldwide dialects ofEnglish, which are pillows that are mainly
decorative and not designed forsupport or comfort.

8     Oblong pillows and squarecushions

A cushion is a soft bag filledwith air or padding such as hollow fiber,
feathers, foam or rubber. In theUnited Kingdom, pillows used on chairs and
sofas are called cushions or throwcushions, with the word pillow used only for
pillows on a bed. In the UK, cushions are usuallysquare, while bed pillows are
oblong.

 9 History

The first people to use pillowswere those who lived in early civilizations of
Mesopotamia around 7,000 BC. During this time, only the wealthy used pillows.
The number of pillows symbolized status so the more pillows one owned themore
affluence he or she held. Pillows have long been producedaround the world in
order to help solve the reoccurring problem of neck, back,and shoulder pain
while sleeping. The pillow was also used to keep bugs andinsects out of
people's hair, mouth, nose, and ears while sleeping.

My note- At one time people used to have pillows for leg also. Now somehowuse
is less for feet even with  elders.Side pillows are provided in the cot for
kids- for not falling down.

10. In ancient Egypt

Pillow use has been associated with the mummies and tombs of ancientEgypt
dating back to 2055–1985 B.C. Ancient Egyptian pillows werewooden or stone
headrests. These pillows were mostly used by placing them underthe heads of the
deceased because the head of a human was considered to be theessence of life
and sacred.

 The ancient Egyptians used these wooden or stone pillows in order toprovide
support to a corpse’s head, uphold body vigour, keepblood circulating, AND KEEP
DEMONS AWAY.

My note- Hitherto I was notknowing   the purpose of keeping straw inthe head of
dead body among iyers.

10.1-In ancient Europe

The Romans and Greeks of ancientEurope mastered the creation of the softer
pillow. These pillows were stuffedwith reeds, feathers, and straw in order to
make them softer and morecomfortable.

Only upper-class people typicallyowned these softer pillows, however all
classes of peoplewere allowed to use some type of pillow while sleeping in
order to give themsupport.

People in ancient Europe started to use pillows when going to church inorder to
kneel on while praying and to place holy books on. This is a traditionthat
still lives on today. Additionally, the Romans and Greeks usedtheir pillows by
placing them under the head of those deceased just like theancient Egyptians
did.

10.2       In ancient China

Chinese pillows were traditionally solid, though sometimes used with asofter
fabric over them. Over many Chinese dynasties, pillows were madefrom a wide
range of materials including bamboo, jade, porcelain, wood, andbronze. Ceramic
pillows became the most popular. The use of the ceramic pillow first appeared
in the SuiDynasty between 581 and 618 while mass production appeared in the
Tang Dynastybetween 618 and 907. The Chinese decorated their pillows by making
themdifferent shapes and by painting pictures of animals, humans, and plants
onthem. One common type of pottery used was Cizhou ware. Chinese ceramic
pillowsreached their peak in terms of production and use during the Song, Jin,
andYuan dynasties between the 10th and 14th century, but slowly phased out
duringthe Ming and Qing dynasties between 1368 and 1911 with the emergence of
betterpillow making materials.

10.3       In ancient  India

In India, traditional pillows usually made with plant-borne materials,such as
the fluffy, glossy fruit-fibres of Silk-cotton tree

11          Construction of pillow

Internally, a pillow consists ofa filler, often made from foam, synthetic
plastic fibers, feathers, or down andviscoelastic foam and latex. Traditionally
straw was a filler, but this is uncomfortableand rarely used today. Feathers
and down are the most expensive and usually themost comfortable; they offer the
advantage of softness and their ability toconform to shapes desired by the
user, more so than foam or fiber pillows. One of the disadvantages of
adown-filled pillow is allergic reaction of the user. There arecurrently
hypoallergenic varieties of down pillows to allow people sensitive todown to
enjoy the comfort of feather or down pillows. In Asia, buckwheat is acommon
filler, as are plastic imitations. Such pillows tend to be smaller thana
standard pillow. In India,cotton is also a common filler and is considered  to
be healthier than synthetic fills.

The fill is surrounded with acover or shell made of cloth, such as silk, known
as the pillow case or pillowslip. Some pillows have a fancier cover called a
sham which is closed on allsides and usually has a slit in the back through
which the pillow is placed.Rectangular standard bed pillow cases usually do not
have zippers, but insteadhave one side open all the time, however, a zippered
pillow protector is oftenplaced around standard pillows with the case in turn
covering the protector.  It is recommended that all types of pillowcovers be
laundered periodically since they are the part that is in contactwith a
person's body. But even with regular washing, pillows tend to accumulatedust
AND MICROBES AMONG THE FILL AND IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THEY BE REPLACEDEVERY
FEW YEARS, especially for those with allergies.My note- Many place atowel above
the pillow cover so that head sweat will not enter pillow. Thosewho use hair
dye must make it a point to use towel so that black/brown dye will not touch
the pillow cover.