KAALU PIDIKKAL (FALLING AT THE FEET) -1

Dear friends,

Many Malayalam soaps recently Icould see the scenes of holding the legs on
compulsion or get something done.

To know the value of leg, justthe curing period of a very small fracture/ wound
in a leg is much sufficient.

I am including thigh, foot andlower leg of humans including toe while writing
in this posting. Repetition areavoided.

 Sincerely,

Gopala Krishnan 21-04 -2021

2. Duryodhana – strength induced in to body.

We know Gandhari was tying acloth covering her eyes, intimating, since the
husband is blind; she too didnot require sight. On account of this she had very
much will power (Thapobalam).She desired to induce strength in the body of
Duryodhana her eldest son usingher will power.

One day she asked Duryodhana tocome before her after bath, without any clothing
in the body. Completely nude.  She desired to open the eye for a moment
andinduce the strength in to his body.

Obeying his mother Duryodhanastarted to take bath in the palace pond, and
Gandhari sat on a big chair in thenearby Hall. Duryodhana was hindered by sage
Narada on his way and he advisedDuryodhanan that though Gandhari is his mother,
he should not go with his loinuncovered being a man now. He should wear a small
piece of cloth there.

Taking advice of Narada he wore asmall towel covering loin area and appeared
before Gandhari. Gandhari untiedthe cloth from the eye. She could pass strength
to all part of the body exceptthigh because of the clothing. It was in thigh
Duryodhana was beaten with Gada (mace) and defeatedby Bhima.

In a recent quora QA it was told,it was Lord Krishna and not Narada asked to
wearcloth in the loin.

3. Mahabali and the foot incident.

The legend about Onam is wellknown. Upendra (Vamana) could not measure the
third foot of land and Mahabalaibow down and showed his head Upendra placed his
third foot on the head ofMahabali and send Mahabali to suthala- the nether
world.  I was curious to know what Upendra didwith the land. I could read in a
posting by Dr Ravisankar sangem that he gaveit to Indra.

4. Radha and charanamritham.

Once Lord Krishna felt severepain in the stomach while in Dwaraka. It was felt
by him that charanamritham (water obtained by washing the feet)of any lady
could relieve his pain. Which lady will give the watercleaning her foot for
drinking of the God?

Rukmini, Sathyabhama or any womenwas not ready for such a deed in Dwaraka.
Finally people were sent to Vrindavanif any lady is there to offer.

Fortunately Radha was there. Withoutany thinking she washed her feet with
water, filled in a vessel and handed overto the people. For her Krishna’s well-
being was important.Immediately on receiving thecharanamritham Krishna drank it
full. Eaam. One or two minutes lapsed. Krishna got relieved ofstomach pain.

 The incident shows the affectionof Radha to Krishna well over Rukmini and
Sathyabhama had to Krishna I have read in later readings ofIskon publications
that Radha was part of Krishna.

5. Navagrahas and Ravana.

Ravana made the navagrahasobedient to him and made them in idol form to lie in
the 9 steps which heclimbed to go to his thrown.   He used to climb over them
withhis foot to reach the seat.

Narada noted Navagraha wereupside down in the steps. He devised a method. He
asked Ravana to keep them in normal position and climb.Without thinking, Ravana
obeyed him.  Nowthe planets could do their jobs, from that instance the curse
of the planets fell on him and his badperiod began.

6. Pada pooja

In marriages pada pooja is performedto the bride groom, consideringhim as part
of Mahavishnu. Pada pooja is done by girl’s father.

In sraadha also the ankles of thefeet of   the sraadha Brahmins (Bhokthas) are
washed bythe performer before the function welcoming them.

I read in one of the postingcalled sraadha niyama in our groups by G Bala
subraminaim  that only ankles has to be washed and notentire foot.

I am not sure any sasthrikals sayso today to the performer. Now a day I am not
seeing his postings.

7. Kalu kazhukichu Oottu

I have seen this functionperformed in the temples inviting Nampoothries and fed
after washing theirfeet. Cooking is done in the temple. Today I am not sure
whether the functionis arranged by Nampoothiri families or by other communities
also.

I had one Library in chargeNampoothiri in my home who very often used to attend
it asking me to see thelibrary for about one hour in my boyhood days if I was
free. On those days Icould not clarify about the performer details. Nampoothiri
used to inform inadvance to me, so that somehow I should make out time.

8. Following the foot steps

Literally it means follow somebody’s path. It is used during good and bad
practices followed, but mostlyabout good practices.

A teacher’s son like to become alecturer, an ordinary engineer’s son will like
to become an IIT or Ms and theway. Normally in the field of arts it is seen
very much. It is passed throughgenes.

I have seen it in the field ofwriting also. My daughter writes nowadays,
probably getting more time.

9. Un noticed Paduka by Arjuna

It is a story from Mahabharatha.It was the period Dharma puthra living with
Droupadi. Arjuna had kept hisweapons in a room crossing Droupadi’s room. A
Brahmin approached for help fromattacking people on him and Arjuna agreed.
Dharma puthrar was there leaving his paduaka in front with Droupadi.Arjuna did
not notice and entered the room.

Dharma puthra welcomed him.Arjuna took his weapons and the Brahmin was saved.
Feeling guilty of enteringthe Droupadi’s room, Arjuna went for seclusion  life
outside. During this period he came across ulupi- Naga Kanyaka.

Though I have written the incident, I have one doubt. It wasthe period
Yudhisthira spending one year with Droupadi. Arjuna clearly knew it.How his
weapons could be in Droupadi home? All Pandavas lived separately andthey had
other wives also.

10. Gaya sraadha and Vishnu Padam.

 I write repeatedly about Gayasuraand yaga story at Gaya. The place where
Vishnu stood, his feet is preserved andPindas are offered and worshipped during
Gaya sraadha.

In Gaya most shops we getthambalam in different sizes with engraving of Vishnu
padam.

All the people performed Gayasrardha would have seen the bhokthas (Exclusively
Gaya Brahmins) eating verylittle food from the leaves. The bhokthas distinguish
the kartha by themselves beforeserving and smile at us. During the time I
performed Gaya srardha, another 9 family’salso performing srardha on the day.

It is my contention, our pithrus distinguish us and eat less, since theyare
getting ready for LIBERATION. Enough for them calling as Pithru

11. Stair case and foot steps

While designing steps theengineer take atmost care to ensure foot length is
covered in the width ofsteps in the stair case. The height between steps is
kept medium so thatclimbing is not felt through the steps.

 Both these aspects are not looked in to morethan 40% in ladders. Hence we feel
the climbing in ladder tiresome andunbalance while standing on steps. For
permanent working for hours henceladders are designed in the form of stair case
in factories with hand rails.

In the cross bar exchanges wherethe equipment installed to 10 feet height, the
travelling ladder was designedin such a way, while sitting and working we would
not feel either height orimbalance.

12. Mukkali and nalkkali.

Furniture with four legs willhave more balance. Hence our table, chair etc. are
all having for legs.Additional legs if there it should be in pairs. Furniture
with threelegs is called Mukkali. Some stools, dining tables round in shapeare
designed with three legs. Their balance is very less.

On seeing the appearance Ipurchased a designed stool having only two flat legs.
There was clearinstruction- It should notbe used for climbing or heavy weights
should not be kept over it.

In yester years there used to besome equipment with three legs. The offenders
were tied to it and given blows.It was also called Mukkali. The earliest water
purifying stands were alsohaving only three legs. It was called Mukkali arippu
in Malayalam. Biggeroffices had Mukkali. Water filtering using Mukkali was a
lesson in middleschool, and many schools also had MUkkali arrippu.

I will continue in next posting