CULTURALQA 07-2021-21

Being compilationthere may be  errors
Respectedfriends,
MostQA in this posting are on medical topics please

Q1         How do people eat so much in one mealwhile we have a stomach of 2-3
inches?

A1         Ken Saladin Textbookauthor and professor emeritus Mon

I don’t know where you got that “2–3 inches” idea, but it’s wildlywrong. Here
is a typical human stomach. If you measure along the path marked bythe red x’s,
from the end of the esophagus at the top to the start of the smallintestine at
the bottom, that’s about 40 cm or 16 in. After a typical main meal ofthe day,
the stomach holds about 1.0 to 1.5 liters of food.

However, it can stretch a great deal and hold up to 4 liters in extreme cases,
expanding so far itreaches almost to the pelvis.

Q2         Why do mosquitoes bite some people morethan others, and what is the
scientific reason behind this phenomenon?

A2         Goodknight, India'slargest household insecticide brand.Updated Wed

Some peopleoften complain of being a mosquito-magnet, where they feelmosquitoes
bite them more than the others. If you’re one of them or know ofsomeone, the
following reasons will shed light on why:

Carbon dioxide:When our bodies are physically active, we release more CO2.
Mosquitoescan detect their hosts basis high CO2 concentrations.

Odour: What repelshumans, attracts mosquitoes. The odour released from our
sweat plays anactive role in drawing them.

Heat: The heatfrom our bodies is also another factor that makes it easier
formosquitoes to find you.

Blood Type:Research also states that people with blood group O are more
desirableto mosquitoes.

Nowthat you know some of the reasons, the next step is to stay protected. Have
a bath after anyphysical activity, keep your homes clean, throw out standing
water collected inflowers pots and clean them well. Also switch on Goodknight
Gold Flash to getrid of all disease-causing mosquitoes at home, click here to
buy now.

Q3         Why is the medical symbol a snake on astick?

A3         Answered byMichalis P.April4

While nowadayssnakes in general have a negative reputation, it’s fair to say
that this hasnot always been the case.

Throughout humanhistory, serpents have primarily been symbols of good:
fertility for Egyptians,guardians for Buddhists and even gods for some Native
American tribes andAfricans.

The medical logo,better known as caduceus, has indeed two serpents on it and it
was consideredto be the staff of the ancient Greek messenger God, Hermes.
However, itsuse in medicine is incorrect; the caduceus was often associated
with “trade,liars, thieves, eloquence, negotiation, alchemy, and wisdom.”

The symbol becameprominent in the United States during the 19th-20th centuries
due tomisunderstandings and confusion and to this day, doctors and
healthcareorganizations still use it. Instead, the real symbol of healing is
the Rod ofAsclepius, which has one, and not two snakes on the rod. Asclepius
was an Ancient Greekgod related to healing and medicine.

Snakesoccasionally shed their skin in order to allow it to further grow. This
isessential because their skin doesn’t grow perpetually like it does inmost of
the other animals. Additionally, it may help them get rid of parasites.This
process of sheddingnever stops until a snake dies.

Some peoples, like Ancient Greeks and Mesopotamians, saw a link betweensnakes
and doctors: when snakes shed, they get rid of their old skin and anyparasites
on it and replace it with a brand new layer that has been growingunderneath. In
otherwords, they restore their body.

In the same way, whena doctor cures a patient, the patient’s body is restored
because it overcomesany disease it had. Thus, snakes became associated with
renewal andrebirth.

So, while the symbolization of healing through snakes is rational, thesymbol
used for it is very often mistaken.

Footnotes [1] Serpent (symbolism) – Wikipedia

Q4         What are the most important topics ofembryology for first proff?

A4         Sayan Misra MBBS fromMedical College and Hospital, Kolkata (Expected
2024) Distinction in AnatomyTue

EMBRYOLOGY is a topicwhich definitely is interesting, but if we consider it
from the exampoint of view, it's Not that important. Only rarely long questions
may comefrom here (like it came in our year) & usually short notes come from
hereor it is present as a part question in a long answer.

But anyways, we need to study it.

Here, I'll beproviding with all the important topics you have to study,
remember& revise for Embryology for 1st Prof MBBS.

Remember, as I've already told before in other answers also, Anatomy isall
about diagrams. So, whichever topics you study, you've to practice thediagrams
of that question too. Then only that topic will be complete.

So, now let's start

GENERAL EMBRYOLOGYLDetails not added

HEAD-NECK EMBRYOLOGY

THORAX EMBRYOLOGY:

GIT EMBRYOLOGY:

GENITO-URINARY SYSTEM:

SPINA BIFIDA — Another Imp topic

So, these are more orless all the important topics in entire EMBRYOLOGY (Gen +
Systemic).Apart from these, please also see your university's previous 10–15
yrsquestion, if any different topic is outside this list or not. I've made
itaccording to WBUHS. Even though there shouldn't be much differences, but
still

Q5         As adoctor, which medical specialty are you most glad and grateful
you did notchoose to practice in?

A5         Mehmet Erdem Alagüney Medical Doctor atOccupational MedicineUpdated
December 7, 2018

When I was in medicalschool and especially during the internship, I always
dreamed of being ageneral surgeon. I thought they were really cool, saving
lives, not stuck inthe laboratory or examining the imaging work ups but
touching the patient,‘cutting the illness with their knives’ to cure the human
being.

One day a juniorresident asked me what I was planningto specialize in. I said
‘general surgery’. He asked ‘why?’ I repliedthey're cool, wearing those fancy
scrubs and surgical caps. The guy laughed andtold me “You'll wear yourcool
surgical cap and change wound dresses at 6 am after a 5 hour surgery
aftermidnight.”

In that very moment Irealized what was going on. As a 24 year old young man I
was only interested inthe outlook. But I did not see the hard work, devotion
and dedication. Iexamined myself and saw that I was not able to do that. I was
not that‘strong’. So I went onanother path: internal medicine and occupational
medicine.

I really love what I donow. And when I see a hardworking general surgeon who is
dealing with hours ofsurgeries and endless nights of on-call duties, I look
them with admiration andI thank God that I did not choose that specialty.
Promotedby Goodknight Profile photo for Abraham Sukumar

Q6         Howimportant is science and technology based on medical?

A6      Abraham Sukumar       In medical service in India for more than three
decades July 9

The giant advances brought on in medicine by science andtechnology have
occurred within the lifetimes of many ofus. The first antibiotic, penicillin,
became available for civilian use in 1947just three years before I became a
medical student. The silicon chip that isthe heart of the computer and so many
of the imaging and other devices used inmedicine was discovered in 1952.

An illustrative example from my experience of whatscience can do for the sick.
In 1959 I was a medicalofficer in a village hospital near Krishnagiri, in South
India. In the nearbysmall town called Pochampalli, there was a popular young
doctor. One day hefelt unwell. Suddenly it struck him that he has not been
passing urine for acouple of days. He rushed to the nearby town of Vellore
where there was amissionary-run medical college and an attached modern
hospital. The diagnosiswas renal shutdown. He was given the best treatment
available but he passedaway within a month. Today his story would have been
different. He would havebeen put on three times a week renal dialysis and as
soon as a suitable donorwas available, he would have received a renal
transplant. There would have beenno dent in his natural life span.

The opening sentence in the chapter on Hodgkin’s diseasein Baily and Love
textbook of surgery I used as an undergraduatewas, ‘the diagnosis of Hodgkin’s
disease is a sentence of death’. Now the curerate in early cases of the disease
is 100%.

Cancer breast early cases are regularly cured. A heartattack is not as
life-threatening as it once was. The patentreceives a prick in the groin, and
the cardiologist imaging the patient’s hearton the screen places as many stents
as needed to open up and keep open hisheart’s arteries. The list of what a few
years ago was not even dreamt but arenow commonplace is long.

A brief look into two significant improvementswrought by science and two by
technology will give one an idea of how medicinehas changed.

Antibiotics are one of the important scientificdiscoveries of medicine. The
material produced from one living thing killinganother is antibiosis, and the
agents responsible are antibiotics. (One livingthing helping another is
symbiosis. Symbiotics have yet to appear. It may inthe future.)

In 1952 when I entered the wards after completinganatomy and physiology my
colleagues and I noted a strange ward ritual everyday. An attendant from
thepharmacy will come to the ward to deliver a bunch of vials and the
assistantdoctor of the unit who would be eyeing for his arrival will receive
the vialseagerly and with great reverence. It was the day’s supply of
penicillinvials for the ward. Penicillin first used during the last years of
World War IIwas available worldwide but was a scarce commodity. Then considered
a miracledrug it received the respectful treatment it deserved.

The discovery of antibiotics was not a scientificbreakthrough. Penicillin, as
is well known, was anaccidental discovery made in 1928. Fleming, its
discoverer, initially thoughtof it not as a miracle drug but as a useful
substance in bacteriological labsto keep out unwanted bacteria from growing in
cultures. Its use for treatingbacterial infection had to wait a dozen years and
a world war. But thediscovery of other antibiotics was science through and
through.

Scientists immediately surmised that the fungus wasproducing an antibacterial
substance to fight competition frombacteria in their natural environment. If
one fungus could do that there shouldbe others too that are producing such
substances. This proved to be true. Afrantic search was on and soon
streptomycin came into use. Whereas penicillinwas effective mostly in
Gram-positive bacteria streptomycin was effective onthe dreaded bacteria
producing tuberculosis.

Soon more antibiotics started appearing, many were newand some were existing
ones that were scientificallymodified to expand their bacterial spectrum.
Doctors thought that they wereseeing the end of bacterial diseases. One popular
professor of ours declared inopen class that VD no longer meant venereal
disease but vanishing disease. Thensomething strange happened. Bacteria fought
back. They started developingresistance to antibiotics. Seventy years on and
venereal diseases far fromdisappearing are flourishing. Science has its
limitations.

Insulin as a treatment for diabetes is one of the greatmedical discoveries.
Banting’s isolation of insulin in 1922 was initself not science, but
identifying lack of insulin as the cause of diabetesand tracing the origin of
insulin to groups of cells in the pancreas was purescience. For long insulin
had to be extracted from animals. Now we have analternate source. Surprisingly
it is a bacterium that is at the centre of thismiracle. Scientists have altered
the genome of the bacterium E coli to produceinsulin. This is genetic
engineering, the highest and purest form of science.If insulin can be produced
in labs in culture flasks, then large quantitieswill be available affordably
for the millions of the world’s sufferers. This isnot to be. Insulin continues
to be high priced. Corporations can easily hijackscience. Another limitation of
science—human greed

Many technological advances have improved medicine.Imaging our bodies is one of
them. The first to appear wasX-ray in the closing years of the 19th century. It
is holding its own despitethe appearance of newer imaging techniques. It is
cheap and effective. Itsmodern offshoot the CT scan has wide applications but
such is its effect onneurology and neurosurgery that both of these specialties,
especiallyneurosurgery, have been reborn after the advent of CT scan.
Ultrasound and MRIare the others.

In our student days, we would hover around the operationtheatre when an
abdominal case we had discussed was operatedon to find out whose preoperative
diagnosis was the correct one. Thatexcitement is lost to the modern-day medical
student, Thanks to the variousimaging techniques the abdomen cannot hold its
secrets.

Fibreoptics is another miracle application brought on bytechnology.
Gastroscopy, colonoscopy, and bronchoscopy arewidely used, and laparoscopy has
made scarless abdominal operations a commonreality.

In our enthusiasm, we should not start believing thatscience and technology
have changed medicine beyond recognition. Inmany fields, they have, in many
others, they have not. Obstetrics andgynaecology, for example, are largely
untouched by modernity and it is soberingwhen we realise that for all the
advances in medicine Covid-19 cases aretreated today just as they would have
been a hundred years ago.

Q7         Why domosquitoes hide during the day?

A7         Goodknight, India's largest householdinsecticide brand.Updated Wed

Just like humans avoid harsh sunlight, so do mosquitoes.The heat during the
daytime can cause dehydration in mosquitoes aswell. Therefore, they prefer
resting in moist, dark, and shady places duringthe day. This is one of the
reasons why you’ll find them more active in thenights.

Even at home, you might be deceived into thinking thatmosquitoes aren’t present
during the day simply because youcan’t see them. But they are sleeping in their
‘hiding spots’.

Every place that is away from direct sunlight qualifiesas their hiding spots.
Some of these spots include:

Corners of the rooms, under tables, behind sofasand beds, behind curtains,
inside cupboards and bookshelves, near watercontainers, etc.

That’s why, it’s important to get rid of mosquitoesfrom these spots. We’d
suggest you to try Goodknight Gold Flash. ItAUTOMATICALLY releases Flash
Vapours every 4 hours that go to every corner ofthe room, driving away hidden
mosquitoes Day or night keep your familyprotected always.

All the above QAare based on special Quora digest to me on 21-7-2021. Quora
answers need not be100% correct answers

Compiler- R.Gopala Krishnan, 76 dated 21-07-2021