CULTURAL QA 10 -2021-29

Being compilation there maybe  errors

Q1         I read once that a plugged in phonecharger uses electricity even
without a phone attached. How can a charger drawelectricity without a load on
the other end?

A1         LoringChien electrical engineer for 45 years Updated Sep 10

Inside of the charger it isbasically a 5 V power supply.

Each power supply has to have a voltage regulator of which there areseveral
components running regardless of load. This is what engineers callquiescent
current - a baseline power load for the circuit that unless itscompletely off
will be used to control the operation of the rest ofthe load. In a power supply
this would typically be about 1–20% of the powerused for full load and may vary
some from zero to full load.

At low load (e.g. no phone beingcharged) the power used will probably be just a
few percent of what is used forcharging. Its very low. Some people worry about
it because in the millions itadds up to significant power. Other people like me
note that charging power isa teeny tiny part of the household use and a teeny
fraction of that whenplugged in and not used is such a miniscule fraction of
the power used its nota problem that will result is near as much savings as
turning off the bathroomlight when you’re not using it. In other words, the
effort is not worth thesavings compared to putting the effort elsewhere.

I guarantee, if you unplug allyour phone chargers that are not charging vs
leaving them plugged in 24/7, youwill not be able to detect a meaningful change
in your electric bill.

Really, 1800 W Hair drier, 10minutes use, is 300 Wh,

I just measured 2 USB chargers….06 to .33 ma AC. with no device being charged,

Assuming the worst one, it uses347 Wh when on 24/7 for a year

The better one ( a 2A charger formy Samsung) would use 63 Wh per year. One
fifth of what the hair dryer uses in10 minutes, And would cost me a literally
half a cent per year to leave pluggedin all year.

If you chose to have one slice ofbread toasted light instead of medium, or
medium instead of dark, you will save48 Wh (my toaster 1150 W, 2.5 minute
difference between levels) essentially thesame as a charger plugged in for a
year. If you give up daily dark toast forjust bread every day you can save 1000
plugged in chargers. Yes, there are more effective waysof saving electricity
than unplugging chargers.

Q2         Cashew have extremely high nutritionalvalue, and are listed as one
of the four major dried fruits in the world..

A2         LuciaGarcia What should be the daily intake of cashews?

100 grams of cashews contain 41.5grams of carbohydrates, 17.60 grams of
protein, 38.9 grams of fat, 45micrograms of carotene, 3.5 mg of dietary fiber,
8.2 micrograms of vitamin A,3.19 mg of vitamin E, 0.26 mg of vitamin B1, and
0.14 mg of vitamin B2 .

In addition, cashews also containcopper, potassium, sodium, phosphorus,
magnesium, zinc, manganese, selenium andother minerals needed by the human body.

The fat content of cashew is as high as 38.9%. The mainingredients are
monounsaturated fatty acids. Monounsaturated fattyacids can reduce triglyceride
and LDL-C levels, increase HDL-C levels, andincrease blood vessel elasticity
and toughness.

Cashew are very rich in trace elements. Eating cashew cansupplement the
nutrients the body needs, enhance immunity andresistance, and avoid the risk of
various diseases.

But cashews are high-sugar and high-calorie dried fruits.100 grams of cashews
contain 550 calories and 41.5 grams of sugar.

Therefore, although cashews arevery nutritious, don'teat too many cashews, just
eat 4 to 5 cashews a day.

Q3         Would humans have evolved successfullywithout eating meat?

A3         Kevin TónStudies Science Major (Expected 2023)Oct 23

That depends on your genes andDNA, and where is your ancestors from.

If your heritage is from India,Indonesia, etc., Then you'll most likely can
evolved successfully without meat.

But if you have a heritage fromCentral Asia, Northern Asia, And Native American
Heritage.

Then you'll most likely need meatto survive, whether you want it or not.

Personally speaking, I have apaternal Siberian heritage. So meat will be much
more healthier for me toconsume, so I choose to avoid some vegetables that
aren't healthy for me suchas soy, some nuts, etc.

I used to tried the vegetarian,then vegan diet. It turned me into an Asian
Nikocado Avocado :

And after I choose to eat a fullalmost restricted diet that consist of eggs and
meat, this is how I looked likenow :

So, Ancestries somehow made us eat stuff differently.And where your ancestors
used to live, it impacts your diet greatly.

So, a meatless diet would turnedout to be deadly for me.

So again, genes played a hugerole in your diets. And not all diets fit for all
people with differentAncestries and bodies.

Why is it that the acid inside asnake’s stomach can digest bone and teeth but
it can't digest fur or hair?

Q4         Donna FernstromProfessional ball pythonbreeder from 2007 to 2014.Tue

A4         Bones and teeth are made of collagen and calcium phosphate,mainly.
Calcium is soluble in acid. Hair, on the other hand, is made of aprotein called
keratin. Keratinhas disulfide bonds that make it basically insoluable in all
sorts ofcaustic solutions. Keratin is some persistent stuff. It doesn’t readily
breakdown at all.

Q5         What would you tell someone to orderfor their first time in an
Indian restaurant?

A5         AishwaryaKherScientific Mind | Curious Brain | Optimistic |
VegetarianTue

First of all, I would ask whichregional cuisine does this Indian restaurant
specialize in?

Most commonly found restaurantswould either serve North or South Indian
varieties. Avoid the Himalayan Indiankind of restaurant because it’s a fusion
of Indo-Nepali taste. I did not findit authentic.

Now, I would recommendfirst-timers to stick to the basics. Also, I’m going to
suggest only vegetariandelicacies. You’ll be amazed to know how many options
veggies have!

If you choose South Indian, here’s what your best evermeal could be:

Starter - Medu Wada OR SteamedIdli

Main Course - Masala Dosa OROnion Rava Dosa

Beverage - Filter Coffee (There’sno OR here. This is a MUST in a South Indian
eatery if they serve in thetraditional manner. Check that first)

Sweet - Payasam OR Rava Kesari

Mysore Masala Dosa with FilterCoffee 👇

Medu wada 👇Rava Kesari 👇

If you choose North Indian, these items would definitelysatiate you:

Appetizers/Starters — Dahi PapdiChaat OR Samosa

Bread — Garlic Naan OR OnionKulcha

Gravy based Veggies — Saag PaneerOR Malai Kofta

Lentils — Dal Makhani OR DalTadka

Rice — Peas Pulao OR Jeera Rice

Sweet — Gulab Jamun OR Rasmalai

I have mentioned two optionsunder each head because it’s freakin’ hard to
choose! Go for it all if you can :)

Garlic Naan dipped in Malai Kofta👇

Peas Pulao 👇Rasmalai 👇

Note: This is in no way anexhaustive list. However, it covers the best glimpse
of both the worlds forfirst-timers, in my opinion.

Q6         Are humans still evolving? Will theybecome completely hairless?

A6        Mats Andersson  B. Sc, M. Sc from Uppsala UniversitySun

Yes, we are still evolving. During the past 2,000 to5,000 years, populations
where I live have lost much of our melaninproduciton and gained lactase
persistence. We have also lost a cusp on ourmolars which led to tooth decay.
Our digestive systems have become moreefficient at digesting starch, and our
immune systems heve become attuned toliving in towns and cities.

Also, something seems to have happened to ourmitochondria—ancient texts
regularly report feats of strength andespecially stamina that are outside what
we can manage today, and in mannerssuggesting that this was not seen as
anything out of the ordinary. We do knowthat our mitochondria work different
from the other great apes, but we’resketchy on the details and history.

There’s no reason to imagine we will become hairless.There would not seem to be
any advantage to not having hair. It mightbecome fashionable, so that hairy
people find it difficult to find a mate, butit’s unlikely that this would last
long enough to make a difference to ourgenetic makeup.

Q7         Why is Tripura regarded as theunluckiest state of India?

A7         BalajiViswanathan History buffWed

When you think of Northeast youthink of a mountainous remote place. What if I
tell you that Tripura is nearly a coastalstate.

>From the borders of Tripura to the Bay of Bengal is barelyabout 20 kilometers
>as the crow flies.

I’m just using a map of Bangladeshbelow to show the distance from Tripura to
the ocean. That black arrow is allstanding between the state and the wide open
ocean.

Not just some random part of theocean, but one with rich source of historical
trade. The major port city of Chittagong is about 2–3 hoursaway on road.

However, due to the nature of partition of India in 1947,the state is no longer
connected to the coast, and thus their citizens have togo through a 37 hour
drive around the hills to get to the ocean atKolkata. Makes no sense.

Now, after years of negotiations India and Bangladesh areable to come to an
agreement to let Tripura trade through theChittagong port. If the thing takes
off, the state could enjoy the benefits ofthe coast paired with its high human
development index.

Landmark movement of goodsbetween Bengal to north-east India via Bangladesh
flagged off

This will greatly benefit India’snorth eastern states by cutting transportation
time and cost through landroutes to the north east.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/kolkata/landmark-movement-of-goods-between-bengal-and-to-north-east-india-via-bangladesh-flagged-off/story-Cz6IhOW1d8GOzY7WxMTS6L.html

EDIT: There are a lot of bizarrecomments below on how India could have captured
the coastline during 1971 war.I don’t know what century they are in. You cannot
just go and capture someterritory like in the 17th century. This is what Saddam
Hussain did in 1990 —destroying his country. Even China is careful trying to
take on Taiwan and US iscareful about Cuba.

In 1971, US was looking for theexcuse to bring UN Security Council and any
territory capture in would havebrought the full weight of the world on us —
making us lose the war, withsevere sanctions and lose whatever territory we
captured.

Q8         Do animals talk between themselves?

A8         ClaireJordan Degree in biology and folklore; programmer, shop owner,
secretary onnewspaperMon

Possibly a basic one. We now know chimps and bonoboshave at least basic sign
language (differing slightly between the species) withwhich they can say things
like “Climb on my back” or “Give me that”.Deciphering it is slow because we
have to watch them and see if the samegestures always elicit the same

Both species have also been taught human signing. On oneoccasion a researcher
was watching a fight which broke out among agroup of signing bonobos, and one
of them wandered over and told him, in humansigning, what the others were
fighting about.

That shows that a bonobo was capable of a basic level ofconversation using
human signs, so it’s quite likely they can also do sowith their own signs, even
though we don’t yet understand many of them. Thatdoesn’t mean they sit around
discussing philosophy, but they can probably makecomments on the events of the
day.

Q9         Can you see the Sun?

A9         ZaneScheepersjust a regular guy with lots of time to think about
things.Mon

Most people would dismiss thisquestion as being obvious. Everyone can see the
sun, right? Actually, the answer is no. Wecan't see the actual sun.

There are 3 layers separating the actual sun and what weactually see.

Firstly, the sun is too bright. We are actually blindedby it's brightness. We
need special light filters to limit the amount of lightreaching our eyes, to
actually see anything. This is the result.

The second factor is time. Light takes over 8 minutesto travel from the sun to
the earth. What we see, is an image from the past.It's not the sun as it
currently is. It's like a picture. A picture created byour mind.

This brings us to the third layer. It's called indirectrealism. You see, the
way vision works is that our mind creates a picture basedon the light currently
striking our eyes. This is how we see things. We neversee the actual thing, but
only the mind model. Strangely, this is somethingwhich some people grasp very
easily, while it makes no sense to others. I haveyet to find a satisfactory
explanation why some people don't get it.

What this means is that some people insist that wecan see the actual sun, while
those who understand indirect realism know thatwe only see a representation of
the sun. A simulation of reality.

Q10       What is something that you read recentlyand is worth sharing?

A10       Afshar Ahmad    MBBS from Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, AMU
(Expected2025)Sun

This is a small thing I noticedafter using something for such a long time.

I have been using “Kissan Mixed Fruit Jams” foryears. Today I noticed, on the
top of its lid, it was writtenhow to check if it is properly vacuum sealed or
not.

We just need to press the centerof the cap, if it makes sound, it means it's
not properly vacuum sealed. So,just try it before you buy one😄.

Q11       What happens when water is cooled from 4degrees Celsius to 0 degrees
Celsius?

A11       2 AnswersPrathamesh Mayekar  , assionateMechanical EngineerAnswered
Sep 16, 2020

Behavior ofwater is much different than other substances…

Every substance expands onheating and contract on cooling …but in case of water
it contracts when youheat it upto 4°c and then expands ..at 4°c it has minimum
volume and maximumdensity.

Coming to your question..

As water get cool from 4c to 0 It's volumeincreases.. and density
decreases..this because of hydrogen bonding inside it.

So in science all the propertiesof water are take are at 4°C.

2ND ANSWER Bhanu Kode, B.Tech MechanicalEngineering, National Institute of
Technology Silchar (2024)Answered Sep 16,2020

It expands. Liquid water converts to solid ice. Waterdensity decreases and it
crystallizes into the shape of ice.

The crystal structure of ice is more 'spacious' thanthe hydrogen-bonded water
molecules structure. I mean, the crystal lattice ofice occupies more volume
than the structure of liquid water, the result beingice less dense than liquid
water.

This is also the reason why icefloats on water, making life possible in aquatic
places in winter when thetemperatures are freezing.

Allthe above QA are based on Quora digest to me on 28-10-2021. Quora answers
neednot be 100% correct answers

Compiler-R. Gopala Krishnan, 78 dated 29 -10-2021