Pranam

Long life in Ayurvedam

       No  one  knows  exactly  when  civilization  developed  in  India;
all  dating  is arbitrary  until  the  time  of  Gautama  Buddha  (563-483
BC).  The earliest  culture about  which  we  have  any  useful  data  is
that  of  the  Harappa,  the  Indus  Valley civilization,  which  arose
around  3,000  BC  and  lasted  for  perhaps  1,500  years. Successors  to
Neolithic  settlements  of  5,000  years  previously,  the  Harappans
built  large  cities,  such  as  Mohenjo-daro,  and  traded  with  foreign
lands  via Lothal,  their  seaport.  Their  cities  had  wide,  paved
roads,  aqueducts,  public baths,  and  extensive  drainage  systems.
With  such  attention  to  sanitation,  they almost surely also possessed a
system of medicine, though no firm evidence yet exists  to  support  this
conjecture  except  for  the  discovery  in  Harappan  remains of
substances  such  as  deer  antler  and  bitumen,  which  are  used  in
classical Ayurveda.

      The Harappan civilization seems to have collapsed between 2,000 and
1,500BC.  Natural  disasters  may  have  been  to  blame,  or  the
Harappan  downfall  may have  been  caused  by  any factor but brought with
them the Vedas, their ancient books of wisdom and sacrificial ritual. The
Vedas took on their current form at some point during the second millennium
BC, though this version, which has been carefully preserved by India’s
priests, the  Brahmins,  is  derived  from  much  earlier  versions,
which  are  now lost.  From the  youngest  of  the  Vedas,  the
Atharva-Veda,  developed  Ayurveda, probably with the help of residual
Harappan knowledge. At the turn of first millennium BC the treatise now
known as the Charaka Samhita, the first and still most  important  of  all
 Ayurvedic  texts,  appeared.  Although  Ayurveda’s  most famous surgical
text, the Sushruta Samhita, was also compiled around this time, the
development of surgery being spurred by the need to treat injuries
sustained in warfare, the version that has come down to us dates from much
later.

      Indian  culture  entered  its  Golden  Age  during  this  period
and  learning flourished.  By  the  sixth  century  BC  a  ‘university’
had  been  established  at  Takshashila  (Taxila),  near  what  is  now
Rawalpindi  in  Pakistan.  This  institution apparently had no true campus
but was rather a concentration of scholars and their disciples, who lived
near one another to facilitate debate and the exchange of ideas. One of
Takshashila’s products was Jivaka, the royal physician of King Bimbisara of
Magadha (now part of the state of Bihar), who was appointed by the King to
personally supervise the health of Gautama Buddha and his followers.
Ayurvedic medicine was already extensively developed by the time of the
Buddha, a result, at least partly, of politics. Because the health of the
king was equivalent to the health of the state, the services of a royal
physician were essential to the state’s political stability. The physician
had to protect his royal patron from poisoning, cure him of wounds
accidental and military, and ensure the regal fertility, the queen’s safe
pregnancy and delivery, and the royal progeny’s healthy development. He
allowed his monks almost all the therapeutic measures advised in
classicalAyurveda, including surgery (except for fistula, the operation for
which is often unsuccessful and which is better treated by other
means).Jivaka  was  so  famous  that  at  one  point  most  of  the
citizens  of  Magadha joined the Buddhist community solely to be able to
avail themselves of his treatment;  the  Buddha  consequently  prohibited
anyone  who  was  ill  from  being accepted  into  the  fold.  Many  are
the  stories  of  Jivaka’s  amazing  cures,  and  his studentship  at
Takshashila  was  apparently  no  less  amazing.

       In  326  BC  Alexander  the  Great  invaded  northern  India.
Though  it  is  likely that  Indian  medical  knowledge  had  already
found  its  way  to  Greece  before then, this was the first documented
exposure of the two cultures to one another. Alexander   was
sufficiently   impressed   by   Ayurvedic   practitioners   that   he
ordered all cases of poisoning to be treated by them alone. He carried some
of these doctors away in his retinue on his departure. In  the  third
century  BC  Ashoka,  the  emperor  of  most  of  northern  India, became
a  convert  to  Buddhism.  Motivated  by  compassion  for  all  sentient
beings, as Buddha taught, Ashoka built charitable hospitals, including
specialized  surgical,  obstetric  and  mental  facilities,  for  both
humans  and  animals throughout his realm. Numerous rock-cut edicts around
India attest to this, and to the embassies and Buddhist missionaries he
sent to many neighbouring countries. These emissaries carried Indian
science with them, which is probably how Ayurveda reached Sri Lanka. The
Ayurveda now existing in Sri Lanka is almost identical to that in India
except that it has been adapted to the requirements of the island and
reflects basic Buddhist philosophies, as it might still in India had
Buddhism not been exterminated there almost a thousand years ago.

      Medical  missionary  activity  continued  long  after  Ashoka,  as
documented by the Bower Manuscript, written in the fourth century AD and
found in Central Asia, where the missionaries had carried it. It contains
recipes for various medicines and a long panegyric on garlic. In the later
empires of the Guptas and the Mauryas, state-employed and private
practitioners seem to have coexisted, and village  physicians  were
maintained  by  the  government  through  gifts  of  land and  payment  of
salary.  The  state  also  planted  medicinal  herb  gardens,  established
hospitals and maternity homes, and punished quacks who tried to practice
medicine without imperial permission. During  this  period  of
intellectual  flowering  three  more  famous  Ayurvedic texts  appeared.

      Ashtanga  Sangraha  (probably  seventh  century)  and
AshtangaHrdaya  (about  a  century  later)  are  both  ascribed  to  one
Vagbhata,  though  they were almost certainly written by two different
people. These two texts are condensations of the works of Charaka and
Sushruta, with some new diseases and therapies added. The eighth century
also saw the appearance of the Madhava Nidana, a treatise on diagnostics.
All forms of learning, set up true universities to teach Buddhism, Vedic
lore and more secular subjects such as history, geography, Sanskrit
literature, poetry, drama, grammar and phonetics,  law,  philosophy,
astrology,  astronomy,  mathematics,  commerce  and  even the  art  of
war,  as  well  as  medicine.  The  most  famous  of  these  universities
was that of Nalanda, also in Bihar, which was established during the fourth
century Ad and flourished until about the twelfth century. Students  came
from  all  over  the  world  to  study  at  these  universities.  The best
accounts we have of Nalanda are those  of  two  Chinese  travellers  who
visited India as students in the seventh century. We learn from them that
only 20per cent of all applicants could pass the entrance examinations,
that instruction was free to all, that senior students acted as teaching
assistants and that teaching went on day and night. Some graduates elected
to stay on as research scholars at Nalanda, whose campus covered half a
square mile, housing as many as 10,000pupils  and  1,500  teachers  at  a
time,  with  numerous  cooks  and  support  staff. ‘Nalanda  brothers’
even  had  the  same  kind  of  old-boy  network  that  old  Etonians or
alumni of Harvard enjoy today. The Golden Age ended when waves of Muslim
invaders inundated north-ern India between the tenth and twelfth centuries.

       The  Muslims  slaughtered  the  monks  wholesale  as  infidels,
destroyed  the  universities  and  burned  the  libraries.  Those  who
could  escape fled  to  Nepal  and  to  Tibet,  where  Ayurveda  had
first  penetrated  in  the  eighth century AD.  Some  Ayurvedic  texts
are  thus  preserved  today  only  in  Tibetan translation. In  spite  of
these  catastrophes  and  of  the  import  into  India  by  the  Muslim
conquerors  of  their  own  medicine,  Unani  tibia,  Ayurveda  survived.
Unani  (the word  means  ‘Greek”)  was  created  by  Arabic  physicians
by  combining  Greek medicine with Ayurveda, which they learned from texts
translated into Persian in the early years of the modern era when the
Sassanian dynasty controlled part of  northern  India.

        Unani  medicine  is  thus  closely  related  to  Ayurveda  and,
while India’s Muslim rulers tended to support Unani, Ayurveda also
prospered. In  the  thirteenth  or  fourteenth  century  a  new  treatise
on  medicine,  the  Sharngadhara Samhita, appeared, introducing new
syndromes and treatments.

     During the  sixteenth  century  Akbar,  the  greatest  Mogul  emperor
and  a  remarkably enlightened  ruler,  personally  ordered  the
compilation  of  all  Indian  medical knowledge, a project that was
directed by his finance minister, Raja Todar Mal. For  centuries  Europe
had  coveted  Indian  spices,  which  were  used  to  preserve  meat  and
to  mask  the  taste  and  odour  of  putrefied  meat.  During  the
sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, with the opening of secure trade
routes to the East to ensure a steady flow of spices, a European
fascination for things Indian developed.

      An Indian massage therapist named Sake Deen Mohammed, known as the
‘Brighton Shampooing Surgeon’ (the Hindi word for massage, champana,
metamorphosed into  the  English  word  ‘shampoo’),  became  the  toast
of  that resort town in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries
with his ‘Indinavir  Bath  and  Art  of  Shampooing’.  Lords  and  ladies
flocked  to  him  for  both treatment and preventive care, and odes were
written to his expertise. The  Europeans  brought  to  India  syphilis,
which  was  first  described  in Ayurveda  in  Bhavaprakasha,  a
sixteenth-century  text,  under  the  name  of  ‘the foreigners’  disease’
in  honour  of  the  Portuguese,  who  imported  it.  They  also imported
their own intellectual bigotry, which gradually superseded their
fascination.  Sir  Praphulla  Chandra  Ray  in  his  History  of  Hindu
Chemistry  cites  an essay by a Briton in which the author endeavoured to
prove that the entire Sanskrit literature as well as the Sanskrit language
itself was a ‘forgery made by the crafty Brahmans on the model of Greek
after Alexander’s conquest’. This deni-gration  of  traditional  wisdom
reached its zenith in 1835,  when  Lord  Macaulay settled  the
controversy  over  whether  the  government  should  support  indigenous
or  Western  learning  by  ordering  that  European  knowledge  should  be
exclusively encouraged in all areas governed by the East India Company.
Before  1835  Western  physicians  and  their  Indian  counterparts
exchanged knowledge; thereafter only Western medicine was recognized as
legitimate, and the  Eastern  systems  were  actively  discouraged.  Since
living  traditions  are  lost when  experts  die  without  being  able  to
reach  others,  vast  quantities  of  indigenous  expertise  evaporated
during  the  next  several  decades.

     Even  during  these years  of  persecution,  however,  Ayurveda
generously  contributed  to  modern medicine.  During  the  nineteenth
century  the  Germans  translated  from  Sushruta’s treatise details of an
operation for repair of damaged noses and ears. This operation, which now
appears in modern textbooks as the pedicle graft, led to the development of
plastic surgery as an independent specialty, and today Sushruta  is
regarded  by  plastic  surgeons  around  the  world  as  the  father  of
their craft.  Skin  grafting  and  operations  for  cataract  and  bladder
stones  were  still being performed by Ayurvedic surgeons in India as late
as the eighteenth century. Many writers on Ayurvedic history decry the
evident decline of Ayurvedic surgery after the Classical Age, often blaming
the Buddhists and their doctrine of  non-violence  for  discouraging
wilful  injury  to  the  body.  It  is  more  likely, though, as Debiprasad
Chattopadhyaya argues in Science and Society in AncientIndia,  that  it
was  the  ritual  ‘impurity’  involved  in  surgery,  the  close  physical
contact that a surgeon must have with blood and other bodily substances,
that discouraged  its  practice,  since  the  Buddha  himself  did  not
object  to  surgical intervention when it was necessary. With the assertion
of Indian nationalism at the dawn of this century, interest  in  Indian
art  and  science  was  reawakened  and  Ayurveda  began  a  gradual
renaissance. Today it is one of the six medical systems in India that are
officially recognized by the government, the others being allopathy (also
known as mod-ern,  cosmopolitan  or  biomedical  medicine),  homeopathy,
naturopathy,  unani, Siddha (a variety of Ayurveda practiced by the Tamils
of southern India) and yoga therapy. The practitioners of these six systems
must compete for patients with  each  other  and  with  a  profusion  of
practitioners  of  other  medical  skills, including itinerant tonic
sellers, pharmaceutical representatives, village curers, bone-setters,
mid-wives,  exorcists,  sorcerers,  psychics,  diviners,  astrologers,
priests,  grandmothers,  wandering  religious  mendicants,  and  experts
in  such maladies as snakebite, hepatitis, infertility and ‘sexual
weakness’.

    Today’s  developmental  planners,  who  often seem to be Lord
Macaulay’s spiritual  descendants,  tend  to  think  of  traditional
systems  like  Ayurveda  as archaic  and  dysfunctional,  and  so
non-progressive  (all  the  while  ignoring  the clear evidence of
obsolescence and dysfunction in the practice of biomedicine).Believing, as
do many foreigners, that ‘traditionalism’ has kept India backward, they
would  prefer  for  most  ancient  traditions,  including  the  medical
ones,  to disappear. Many practicing allopath’s agree, ostensibly because
traditional medicine is not ‘scientific’, but practically because
elimination of alternative medical systems  would  reduce  their
competition.  Social  scientists  have  noted  that  allopaths derive their
social status less from their medical ability than from the culture  of
modernity  and  ‘progress’  that  they  represent;  when  in  distress,
most Indians seek out any practitioner of any system who can cure them.

       Ayurveda  is  the  upaveda,  or  accessory Veda,  to  the
Atharva-Veda.  Though  all  four  Vedas  are  collections  of  hymns
written by seers called rishis, the Atharva-Veda differs in subject matter
from the other three Vedas (the Rig-Veda, Yajur-Veda and Sama-Veda); here
are a few references to treatment in the other Vedas, like a charm in the
Rig-Veda for chasing consumptive disease from all parts of the body, and an
entire  hymn  in  praise  of  medicinal  herbs,  invoking  their  healing
power  and comparing the physician to a warrior. The god Rudra is invoked
in yet another hymn as the ablest of physicians, preparing medicine for all
with his beautiful hands. One of the most famous of the Vedic hymns, the
‘Rudra Adhyaya’ of theYajur-Veda, praises Rudra as the first physician, and
mentions many medicinal plants. *{A view of extracts from a book written by
a British }. KR IRS 281221*