Paramarthga nanda speeches on Birthr hari Neethi sathakam
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=thatha_patty@googlegroups.com&q=subject:%22Paramarthga+nanda+speeches+on+Birthr+hari+Neethi+sathakam%22&o=newest>

Bhartruhari’s Niti Shatakam

1    So, to put in simple language, Vēdic do’s + Vēdic don’ts = Dharma.
They are

not mere do’s and don’ts. If the local Government presents do’s and don’ts,

they are not Dharma. If some medical fraternity presents some do’s and

don’ts, it is not Dharma. It is because they will say Alcohol is good for

heart if taken in small amounts.

2  Therefore, the medical science gives its own do’s and don’ts. They are
not

called Dharma. The condition is that they should be Vēdic or to be more

comprehensive, scriptural do’s and don’ts. What is the difference between

Vēdic and Scriptural? Vēdic includes only those things that Vēda

prescribes.

3          When I use the word scriptural, it includes Vēda based secondary
scriptures

also like Purāna, Itihāsa Smruti Grandhās, etc. They all come under

scriptures. Therefore, do’s and don’ts prescribed in the Purānās are also

Dharma. It is about this Dharma, that Bhartruhari is going to deal. Now

these Dharmās are, broadly speaking, in three different forms. The Dharama

is available in three different forms.

4     One form of Dharma is in the form of rituals and rites. All rituals
and

rites will come under Dharma - Agnihōtram, Sandhyāvandanam, Shrāddham,

Tarpanam, Grahana Tarpanam all come under Dharma because it is prescribed

by the scriptures. When a child is born, they do Jātakarma, Nāmakarana,

Choula, Annaprāsana, Upanayana, Vivāha and in the end Antyēshti. All these

Samskārās come under Dharma. Not only that, they talk about certain

Ashoucha rules also. When a child is born, he is prohibited from doing

certain things for a number of days.

5     When somebody dies, he is not supposed to do certain things. All those

Ashoucha Niyamās also will come under Dharma. It is a voluminous subject.

Volumes of volumes are written on this. Therefore, rituals and rites

together form one aspect of Dharma. Then, the second form or aspect of

Dharma is Values.

6     Values such as Ahimsa, Satyam, Daya, Maitri, and Dānam are to be
followed.

Then, the things to be avoided in the form of Kāma, Krōdha, Lōbha, Mōha,

Mada, Mātsarya also come under Dharma. This is the second part of Dharma.

Then, the third part of Dharma is attitudes that we should cultivate.

7     What type of attitude we should have towards various things and
beings. How

should we look  at our parents? Mātru Dēvō Bhava, Pitru Dēvō Bhava - that

is an attitude. Āchārya Dēvō Bhava - that is an attitude.The attitude

towards all animals should be - sarva bhūta hitērathāha. All animals should

be seen with an attitude of respect.

 8    Above all, the most important is attitude towards the world or nature
in

general, as the very  Vishwarūpam, the Virāt of Ēshwara which is the most

unique aspect of the Vaidika Dharma. parvatānām himalayaha. This is not an

ordinary H2O flowing by mistake, but it is the most scared water. People

come from Southern end just to take a dip.

9      In Kashi, scientifically they say that it is the dirtiest water in
the

world. In fact, we can see dead bodies and carcasses floating. And over

those, crows will be sitting and pecking. In spite of all of that, they

will go on Grahanam day and take a dip. So, this is the attitude towards

Ganga, because of which the Āchāryās can write many verses on simple H2O.

10    It is not an attitude casually developed. It has been coming in Indian

tradition from ages. This attitude towards the people and attitude towards

the world is another aspect of Dharma.

Thus, Rituals + Values + Attitudes = Dharma.

11     If you look into traditional Dharma Shāstra books, one problem that
we find

is that in all those Dharma Shāstra works, the ritual part will be

elaborately dealt with and Values and attitudes are mentioned here and

there. You read Manu Smruti or any Smruti Grandha, the emphasis is laid on

the rituals and rites aspects.

12    Unfortunately, the value for rituals varies from society to society.
If we

take present society, the interest in rituals is almost gone. How many

people regularly do Agnihōtram? How many Brahmanās do Sandhyāvandanam? How

many Brahmanās have got the scared thread on the body?

13    A few people keep because it is handy for keeping the keys or if you
want

to scratch the back, ideal tool is the sacred thread. Very few people value

Sandhyāvandanam, Brahma Yagnyam, and Agnihōtram, etc. Shrāddha is

disappearing and even the priests have become a endangered species.

14    Therefore, the ritualistic aspect of Dharma often loses its
importance as

time changes. Even if we ask the people to start Agnihōtram, people don’t

listen. Shankarāchāryās and Shankarāchāryās have tried and they could not

change the society. On the other hand, society has changed Shankarāchāryās

as they themselves feel that some kind of adjustment has to be made.

15     The second problem with ritualistic aspect of Dharma Shāstra is that
it

cannot be universal because it is based on Varna and Āshrama. From Varna to

Varna, the ritualistic rules differ.

Even the material out of which the scared thread should be made varies from

Varna to Varna. The material of the Danda which the Brahmachāris carry

varies.

16     Therefore, when you come to rituals, you cannot talk about universal

rituals because it varies  from Varna to Varna. In one Varna itself, it

varies from Āshrama to Āshrama. That is why  the ritualistic aspect of

Dharma often becomes out of date or we have to present it in a  capsule

form. I am not saying that they are irrelevant, meaningless or they should

be given up. Kindly don’t mistake me. I am not condemning the rituals or

condemning their validity, but what I say is that as the time changes, the

society’s attitudes towards the rituals is changed. Whereas the beauty of

other two aspects, the Value aspect of Dharma Shāstra and the Attitude

aspect of Dharma Shāstra are relevant and useful at all times. In which

century is the value Satyam Vada valid?

17    So, the values and attitudes are meaningful, valid, useful and
compulsory

at all times because most of the values are based on one fundamental

principle or fundamental law of Dharma.

18     What is a Value? We can easily find out if we apply this one law.
What is

that law? What you do not want others to do to you, do not do that to

others. I don’t want anybody to hurt me.

Then, I have got a value.

What is that Value? I should not hurt anyone. I don’t want anyone to cheat

me. I have got a second value. I should not cheat anyone. I don’t want

anybody to lie to me. I have got a third value. I should not lie. I don’t

want anybody to insult me. I should not insult any one. In a  beautiful

Slōka, it is presented –

श्रमू तां धभत वलस्त लं श्रत्ुला िाप्मलधामतत ाभ ्।

आत्भन् प्रचतकूराचन ऩयेऴां न वभाियेत्॥- लेदव्माव

śrūyatāṁ dharma sarvasvaṁ śrutvā cāpyavadhāryatām |

ātmanaḥ pratikūlāni parēṣāṁ na samācarēt ||- vēdavyāsa

This is an exact translation of that English saying. ātmanah pratikūlāni-

what I considered pratikūlam to me, unfavorable to me, uncomfortable to me,

they are uncomfortable to others.

Therefore, don’t do that. Some of these are universal. When I say a person

doesn’t want to get hurt, to which Varna does it pertain to?

19    A Brāhmana or a Kshatriya or a Vaishya or a Shūdra or a Brahmachāri
or a

Grihastha or a Hindu or a Muslim or a Christian or an Indian or any

national doesn’t want to get hurt. Therefore, this is based on universal

likes and dislikes. There are certain likes and dislikes which are

universal. There are certain likes and dislikes which are individualistic.

Somebody likes Hindustani Music, but somebody doesn’t like. But hurt to the

body, Himsa to the body is not a particular person’s or community's or

Nation’s like or dislike. It is universal.

20     Therefore, values based on universal likes and dislikes are universal

values. Most of the Dharmās are universal values called Sāmānya Dharmāha.

Ahimsa, Satyam, Brahmacharyam, Astēyam, Aparigraham, Amānitvam,

Adambhitvam, Ahimsa, Kshāntihi, Ārjavam, Āchāryōpāsanam are some of the

Sāmānya Dharmās. Of course, there are some Vishēsha Dharmās also which will

vary from Varna to Varna, Āshrama to Āshrama, etc. Similarly, most of the

attitudes are also universal. I want everybody to respect me even though, I

don’t deserve. Everybody knows and I also know. But still, I want to be

respected. The glory of the Nīti Shatakam is that it is talking about the

second and third aspects of Dharma. It is not concentrating on the first

aspect of Dharma.

21    It is dealing with second and third aspect of Dharma namely, values
and

attitudes, most of which are universal. They don’t deal much with the

ritualistic part of Dharma. Therefore, this work has become a very famous.

In any school or college, if there is Sanskrit as subject, Nīti Shatakam

will appear in one place or the other.

22     Thus, this Nīti Shatakam is very famous with many quotable quotes. I
don’t

propose to take all the verses occurring here as many of them are

repetitive. Therefore, I have selected some 50-60 verses from this text and

divided them into five topics. The first topic is SāmānyaNītihi, certain

general do’s and don’ts useful to all. General values, general rules of

conducts are called Sāmānya Nītihi or Sāmānya Dharmaha.

23     The second topic that I have chosen is Sajjanaha. What are the signs
of a

noble person? What are the traits of the noble people, so that we can know

whether we belong to one of them at least, by mistake? Then, the third

topic I have chosen is Mūdha Janaha. The fourth one is Vidhihi, fate or

destiny or God’s will. Bhartruhari very strongly writes about Vidhi.

24     If we read those verses, we will almost become fatalistic. We may
even get

converted and begin to argue that there is no free-will at all. They are

such powerful verses. Then, he writes on Purushārtha, the importance of

free-will. Which means that he accepts free-will, self-effort, self

determination. He does emphasize them. Thus, SāmānyaNītihi, Sajjanaha,

Mūdha Janaha, Vidhihi and Purushārtha are the five topics that I have

chosen and I have culled verses from all over. Therefore, there will be no

serial order because the verses are mixed up here. We will see the topics

one by one. We will take as many verses as possible and there afterwards,

continue it in some later camp.

25    Before going to these verses, as per tradition, Bhartruhari writes a

beautiful Mangala Slōkawhich reveals his Vēdāntic knowledge. He is not a

mere literally poet, but he is well versed in Swami Paramarthananda’s

Lectures on Bhartruhari’s Niti Shatakam

ददक्काराद्यनलच्छिन्नानन्तचिन्भात्रभूततमे।

स्लानुबूत्मेकनाभाम नभ् ळान्ताम तेजवे ॥ १ ॥

dikkālādyanavacchinnānantacinmātramūrtayē |

svānubhūtyēkanāmāya namaḥ śāntāya tējasē || 1 ||

Here, Bhartruhari offers his Pranams to Paramātma - paramātmanē namaha. The

first line is one single word. It is a long word. What type of Paramātma?

chinmātra mūrtihi. Mūrtihimeans Swarūpam. chinmātra mūrtihi means

chinmātraswarūpāya, the one who is of the nature of pure awareness, pure

consciousness. Mātra means pure. Chit means Chaitanyam. Chinmātra means

pure consciousness. He cannot write this unless he is well versed in the

Upanishad - Satyam Gnyānam Anantam Brahma. What type of chinmātra mūrti?

Ananta Chinmātra Mūrtihi. It is the nature of pure consciousness which is

limitless. Anta means limit and Ananta means limitless. Why is it

limitless? - Because it is anavat chinnaha. It is not conditioned,

circumscribed by anything. Avachinnam means conditioned, walled, and

fenced. So, it is not fenced by, delimited by, conditioned by anything.

Normally, the conditioning or limiting is done by three factors. Anything

can be conditioned by or limited by three factors called Dēsha, Kāla,

Vastu. Dēsha is spatial conditioning like the walls of the hall. It limits

the hall spatially.

26      That is called Dēsha Avacchēdaha and the hall is Dēsha Avacchinnaha.

Similarly, it is conditioned by time because a few years before, it was not

there. It has a beginning and it will have an end also. That means it is

conditioned by time. Therefore, this hall is called KālaAvacchinna. The

third one is Vastu. Vastu means property. Hall is limited by hall-ness.

Therefore, it is not a tree, it is not a man, and it is not a woman. It is

only a hall and hall alone. Therefore, it is called limitation by

hall-ness. Man is limited by man-ness and woman is limited by woman-ness.

So, it is called ‘ness’ limitation. Our consciousness is not limited by all

these three. The details we will see tomorrow because our class is limited

by time.

ॐ ऩूणतभद् ऩूणतचभदं ऩूणातत्ऩूणतभुदछमते

ऩूणतस्म ऩूणतभादाम ऩूणतभेलालचळष्मते॥

ॐ ळाच्न्त् ळाच्न्त् ळाच्न्त् ॥

om̐ pūrṇamadaḥ pūrṇamidaṃ pūrṇātpūrṇamudacyate

pūrṇasya pūrṇamādāya pūrṇamevāvaśiṣyate ||

om̐ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ ||              KR IRS   1402 23

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx