CULTURAL QA 04-2023-16

Q1         I was raised to refrigerate leftovers.We are warned about food
poisoning constantly. However, in my husband'scountry, it's common to leave
leftovers on the counter, to eat as they'rehungry the next day. Why don't they
get sick?

A1         Mats Andersson, B. Sc, M. Sc from Uppsala University Apr 8

Several reasons.

First of all, it is actuallyquite uncommon to get food poisoning from food
prepared inthe home. If you buy cooked food from a food stall, or even in a
poorlymaintained restaurant, it’s not uncommon that the food has been kept at
orslightly below serving temperature for too long; about +35C to +40C is an
idealtemperature for bacteria that can poison us (which isn’t surprising;
bacteriathat thrive at human body temperature will find it easier to infect us).

Secondly, I’m willing to betthat all the food that your husband leaves out on
the counter was properlyheated for a long time during cooking. Casseroles and
stuff. Again, all bacteria die,and it takes time for new bacteria to colonise
the foodstuffs. Maybe it waseven deep fried, at a temperature above +100C,
which also means it has acoating that is difficult for bacteria to colonise.

And while we’re at it: what’s the normal room temperature where you andyour
husband grew up? Food will last a lot longer at +20C than at +30C. And ifit’s
below +20C, there is basically no properly cooked food that won’t last 8to 12
hours.

Prevalence of flies, and howclose the nearest farm is. Fliescan fly directly
from the manure mound to your food, and they’d be full ofbacteria. If you’re
far from the nearest accumulation of faeces, the risk isconsiderably lower. Did
your husband grow up in a city, and you on a farm?

And some foodstuffs simply lastlonger. Seafood is delicate; vegetables are much
more robust.

Spices, especially salt. Salty food lasts longer.So, a lot of factors gointo
this.

Also: if you do proper foodhygiene, you will never get food poisoning at home.
I’m 57, and I have not once in my life had foodpoisoning from anything
home-cooked. (And it’s been 25 years since I got itfrom eating out.) Maybe your
husband and his relatives got it every two years,but didn’t actually associate
it with leaving leftovers out since it was suchan infrequent occurrence.

Q2         What is your worst experience at SBIBank?

A2         Kiruba Ryuu, SBI Customer and the stupid man Apr 9

It was month end and I had only 495 Rs. in my account.I went to an SBIATM to
withdraw 400 Rs.

The first ATM said the “REQUESTED AMOUNT CANNOT BE DISPENSED”

It means that the ATM does not have 100 or 200 denominations.

Subsequent 2 ATMs (All SBI) I went to had the same message for me

At this point I was already feeling guilty for not having an extra 5 Rs. Inthe
fourth ATM, I managed to get the amount of 400.

I was feeling a little happy since despite the trouble, I at least gotthe
amount out.

The following day, I got a textmessage saying 47 Rs. had been debited by the
bank for using the ATMsexcessively

47 Rs. may not seem like a great amount. But remember it was out of theONLY 95
Rs. I had.

And why it was taken?? Because the bank and kind-hearted crocodilesworking
there thought it would be wise to punish the stupid man who saw thegolden words
“REQUESTED AMOUNT CANNOT BE DISPENSED” three times.

My note- The person who hasanswered is a chartered account as seen from his
details. His account cannot  be a zero balance account in all possibilities.He
may be issued with cheque book also. Currentrules of SBI states that
minimum/average  balance in SBI account must be 3000-00. So it is difficult to
understand he had only Rs 495in his account.

Q3         What is the best way to cool a laptopwhile gaming?

A3         Bhargav Das,Former Studies CSE- lBM (Cloud Computing) atChandigarh
University (2017–2021)5y

Here are a few things that I do while gaming on a  laptop and hope you find it
helpful too:-

Place the laptop on an even surface,like a table and not your bed orlap. This
helps in proper flow of air into the laptop.

Use a good cooling pad. Ipersonally use a Cooler mastercooling pad and this
really helps to keep the temperatures under control.

Check if the vents and holes ofyour laptop are dust free andnot blocked. If
they are, a good mini vacuum cleaner will come in handy.

Check if the thermal paste onyour CPU is fine and not driedup. I replace mine
every 6 months (Deepcool Z3).

Give your laptop some rest. Take some break in between gaming. This will help
the laptop to cool down a little bit.

Make sure your room is well ventilated.Keep your AC or Fan on duringsummers.

So, that's it. Hope you find this useful! Goodluck and happy gaming

Q4         If evolution theory is real, does thatmean that white people are
more evolved than Africans?

A4         Claire Jordan, Degree in biology and folklore; programmer,shop
owner, secretary on newspaper · 15h

No. It means they’re moreevolved than their African ancestors who left Africa
about 70,000 years ago. But modern Africans are *also* 70,000 years more
evolved(whatever that means) than the Africans who lived 70,000 years ago.

Q5         What are some interesting facts aboutelephants?

A5         Peter Spering, BTEC Level 2 in Animal Care (Distinction)2y

Elephants kill gratuitously. Yes,the herbivorous elephant.

It’s been observed that some young bull elephants have got into the habitof
raping and killing rhinos, buffalo and sometimes even other elephants, forwhat
is clearly just for the hell of it. If you want pictures/videos though,I’ll let
you Google them for yourselves.

The reason? Poachers.

It’s not unknown that elephants are prime targets for poachers, as theirivory
commands a high price. Becauseolder males have bigger tusks, though, they’ve
been the preferred target forthis callous bunch ever since the pound signs
rocked up in front ofthem, and as a result, their numbers out of all elephants
have taken thebiggest hit.

Researchers have observed that the knock-on effect of this is that theyounger
males lack a role model, a sort of father figure, to instil in themself-control
and good behaviour. Without those boundaries set, some go wild and do some
crazy anddespicable things.

This isn’t mere speculation either.

Young male elephants at national parks in parts of Africa exhibitingaggressive
behaviour, particularly killing rhinos in ritualised combat,were shown to be
less aggressive when bigger, older males were reintroduced.

So what’s the cause?

It’s believed that musth(pronounced “moost”) is the reason. It’s the name given
to periods where a male elephant’stestosterone spikes by 40–60×, or even up to
140× in some cases, causing themto become highly aggressive to the point that
controlling them becomesimpossible.

The studies have found thatonce the older males were reintroduced, it stopped
the younger males fromentering musth in the first place.

Of course in the wild, it’s notso simple. Killing the older males has
invariably upset the social structure ofelephants, and it’s already becoming
clear what the results are going to beshould this continue.

Q6         Why is Ethiopia the eighth wonder ofthe world?

A6         Mark Rhysand, Anthropology Studies (2020–present)Wed

While Ethiopia may notofficially be recognized as the "eighth wonder of the
world," it is acountry with a rich history,culture, and natural beauty that
make it a fascinating and awe-inspiringdestination for travelers and
adventurers.

Ethiopia is often referred to asthe "cradle of humanity," as some of the
earliest human ancestors have been discovered there, including the
famousfossilized skeleton of "Lucy," a hominin species that lived around3.2
million years ago. The country is also home to ancient and
storiedcivilizations, including the Aksumite Empire, which flourished from the
firstto the eighth century CE and is known for its impressive architecture,
such asthe towering obelisks of Aksum.

Ethiopia is also a land ofstunning natural beauty, from the jagged peaks of the
Simien Mountains to the otherworldly landscapes of the DanakilDepression.
Visitors can witness some of the most breathtaking natural wonderson earth,
including the Blue Nile Falls, the Erta Ale volcano, and theawe-inspiring Bale
Mountains National Park.

In addition to its history andnatural wonders, Ethiopia is a country with a
vibrant and diverse culture, from its traditional music and dance toits
distinctive cuisine, which includes injera (a spongy sourdough flatbread)and
wot (a spicy stew). The country is also known for its coffee, which iswidely
regarded as some of the best in the world.

Overall, Ethiopia may not officially be the "eighth wonder of theworld," but it
iscertainly a place of immense beauty, history, and culture that is well
worthexploring and experiencing for oneself.

Q7         What are some of the most awesomepsychological facts?

A7         Matthew Cooper, Young Entrepreneur / Blogger Wed

1. 87% of people ask questions they already know the answers to.

2. Your shoes are the firstthing people subconsciously notice about you.

3. People are more angry when you almost cause an accident than if youreally do
cause one.

4. People who stay busy (evenwith pointless tasks) tend to be happier than
those who don’t.

5. People are more angry when you almost cause an accident than if youreally do
cause one.

6. Men tend to date across and dow their league. Women tend to dateacross and
up their league.

7. People with higher IQ’s tendto have a harder time in finding a mate, because
they’re more selective. And here’s an exclusive platform forselective singles:

8. Sending and receiving text messages can actually boost your mood whenyou’re
feeling lonely.

9. People fall in love onaverage 7 times before marriage.

10. Ironically, the human mind tends to forget the things it shouldremember and
remember the things it should forget.

11. People who overthink often assume everyone is as smart as they are.

12. 95% of the time “I don’tknow” is just an excuse given by someone who is
avoiding the truth.

Q8         Is it safe to leave a car batterycharger on overnight?

A8         Digital Services And Products,Business Consultant | DigitalMarketing
Services | IT Guru2h

Leaving a car battery charger on overnight can be safe, but it depends onthe
type of charger and the condition of the battery. Here are some factors
toconsider:

1. Type of charger: Differenttypes of chargers have differentcharging rates and
safety features. Most modern chargers have safety featuresbuilt-in, such as
automatic shutoff when the battery is fully charged or if thecharger detects an
issue. Trickle chargers, which are designed to keep abattery at a full charge
over time, are generally safe to leave on overnight.

2. Condition of battery: If thebattery is in good condition,leaving a charger
on overnight is generally safe. However, if the battery isdamaged or has a
leak, leaving a charger on overnight can be dangerous. It isimportant to
inspect the battery for any cracks, leaks, or other signs ofdamage before
charging.

3. Charging time: It isimportant to check the recommendedcharging time for the
charger and the battery. Overcharging a battery can causedamage or even a fire.
Most chargers have safety features that preventovercharging, but it is still
important to check the charging time and notexceed it.

4. Environment: It is importantto consider the environmentin which the charger
and battery are located. Chargers should be kept away fromflammable materials
and in a well-ventilated area. If the temperature is toohigh or too low, it can
affect the performance of the charger and the battery.

In general, leaving a car battery charger on overnight is safe if thecharger is
in good condition, thebattery is not damaged, and the recommended charging time
is not exceeded.However, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's
instructions andsafety guidelines when using a charger. It is also a good idea
to periodicallycheck the battery and charger for any signs of damage or
malfunction. If you have any concerns aboutleaving a charger on overnight, it
is best to consult with a professional orthe manufacturer for guidance.

Q9         Do people really intentionally go toprison so they can get free food
and board?

A9         Jake Lockley, Martial Arts Coach, Fighter, Sport Trainer& Wildlife
(2012–present) Mar 30

I know a police officer that came across a homeless man in the late '80sor
early '90s, and he was begging the police officer to take him to jail, as itwas
a hard freeze (sub 20–25°F) night, And the policeman's response was,
Iunderstand, but I can'tjust take you to jail. The homeless man asked him what
he could do. Thepoliceman pondered for a second, and said just cuss out that
tree right in front of you as loud asyou can. He did. He was peacefully placed
under arrest and got a good night'ssleep and some food lol

Q10       How easy will it be to operate a laptop,desktop, etc., for the coming
generations?

A10       Puku Rai, Travels oftentimes 1h

As technology continues toadvance, it is likely that operating laptops,
desktops, and other devices willbecome easier for future generations. This is
because technology companies are always striving to make their products more
user-friendlyand accessible to a wider range of people.

For example, thedevelopment of touchscreens and voice-activated technology has
made it easierfor people to interact with their devices without having to use a
traditionalkeyboard and mouse. In addition, advancements in artificial
intelligenceand machine learning have made it possible for devices to learn
from userbehavior and adapt to their preferences, making the overall user
experiencemore intuitive.

Furthermore, the increasing prevalence of technology in our daily lives means
that youngergenerations are growing up with greater exposure to and familiarity
withdigital devices. This may lead to greater comfort and ease of use whenit
comes to operating laptops, desktops, and other technology.

However, it's worth noting that as technology continues to evolve, newdevices
and interfaces may be introduced that require anew learning curve. But overall,
it's likely that the trend of makingtechnology more user-friendly will
continue, making it easier for futuregenerations to operate laptops, desktops,
and other devices.

My note- Rather than developing just operating skills, developingtechnical
knowledge to certain level is also is important.

All the above QA are from  Quora  website  on   14-04-2023

Quoraanswers need not be 100% correct answers .

Compiledand posted by R. Gopala Krishnan, 79,  on 15-04-2023