WHO IS A REAL GURU?

A real Guru is one who is born from time to time as a repository of
spiritual force which he transmits to future generations through successive
links of Guru and Shishya (disciple). The current of this spirit-force
changes its course from time to time, just as a mighty stream of water
opens up a new channel and leaves the old one for good. Thus it is seen
that old sects of religion grow lifeless in the course of time, and new
sects arise with the fire of life in them. Men who are truly wise commit
themselves to the mercy of that particular sect through which the current
of life flows. Old forms of religion are like the skeletons of once mighty
animals, preserved in museums. They should be regarded with the due honour.
They cannot satisfy the true cravings of the soul for the Highest, just as
a dead mango-tree cannot satisfy the cravings of a man for luscious mangoes.

The one thing necessary is to be stripped of our vanities — the sense that
we possess any spiritual wisdom —  and to surrender ourselves completely to
the guidance of our Guru. The Guru only knows what will lead us towards
perfection. We are quite blind to it. We do not know anything. This sort of
humility will open the door of our heart for spiritual truths. Truth will
never come into our minds so long as there will remain the faintest shadow
of Ahamkâra (egotism). All of you should try to root out this devil from
your heart. Complete self-surrender is the only way to spiritual
illumination.

Divine grace is needed to get the right guru. If the seeker is earnest, he
will get the right guru at the end for sure.

A truly realized Jnani can be a pauper like Bhagwan Ramana Maharshi or a
king like Janaka Maharaja. Sri Krishna, an absolute total Avatar of God was
living amidst worldly pleasures and materialism but nothing touched him.

Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa lived a poor man’s life; he could not even
touch money with his hand. He lived such an exemplary life of renunciation.
But think of Swami Vivekananda, his prime disciple, to whom Sri Ramakrishna
transferred all his *shakti* before leaving his body and the way he
“extracted work” from Vivekananda!

Vivekananda roamed all around India as a penniless mendicant; he got the
divine prompting to go to USA again as a penniless person. He swept the
west like a storm, brought wealth, started Sri Ramakrishna Mission and
Math, built Belur Mutt, built a grand temple for Sri Ramakrishna there, set
up several branches of the mutt, engaged his brother monks into various
social service activities, built educational institutions and other
institutions for the welfare of the downtrodden men and women.

Like a tempest he worked ceaselessly and built a huge institution and left
his body when he was just 40 with total detachment as a true Sanyasin!

Think of Swami Sivananda. He was floating in wealth as a popular doctor in
Malaysia. He was gripped by thirst for spirituality, came to India, got
initiated into Sanyas, did tapas at Rishikesh, lived the life of a begging
monk and got enlightened.

He served the poor and sick monks of Rishikesh. He started Sivananda Ashram
– ‘Divine Life Society’ from a humble hut and built it into a huge Ashram
comprising of a temple, a hospital, a photo studio, a Yoga Institute, a
Vedanta Institute, a printing press and he had an office manned by some 40
typists with typewriters to handle all his correspondence and writing!

Swami Sivananda once said, “If I can serve 100 people unobtrusively or
serve thousands of people through advertisement, I would choose the
latter”. Same Swami Sivananda, when his ashram was gripped with financial
difficulty, said, “I have no qualms if we have to shut down everything and
we can always go back to our old simple ways by taking food at
Annakshetra”. That is the sign of a mahatma.

Likewise, there are indeed Gurus of today that the media may project as
billionaires rolling in luxury, materialism and worldliness, but they may
be totally untouched by any of them even today.

Kali yuga is such that even Ashrams cannot totally escape some pomp, show,
commercialization and materialism. If the head of the ashram is a pure
realized soul, everything can remain in balance. The institutions may have
to be run by ordinary people with ordinary morals (who are yet to be
evolved) and some of them may bring bad name to the Mahatma who runs the
institutes too! But true Mahatmas accept all sorts of people out of
compassion to elevate them spiritually.

As I said, it requires divine grace — the grace to know the difference
between the right Guru and a fake Guru, to differentiate the wheat and the
chaff.

Thus so many had wonderful gurus; so many had false gurus also;the best
Guru is the books. Because the mukti, GURU cannot give but only
individually we have to seek.  K Rajaram  IRS 4 9 23