Karmanye-akarma yah pashyed akarmani cha karma yah

sa buddhiman manushyeshu sa yuktah kritsna-karma-krit

BG 4.18: Those who see action in inaction and inaction in action are truly
wise amongst humans. Although performing all kinds of actions, they are
yogis and masters of all their actions.

Action in inaction. There is one kind of inaction where persons look upon
their social duties as burdensome, and renounce them out of indolence. They
give up actions physically, but their mind continues to contemplate upon
the objects of the senses. Such persons may appear to be inactive, but
their lethargic idleness is actually sinful action. When Arjun suggested
that he wishes to shy away from his duty of fighting the war, Shree Krishna
explained to him that it would be a sin, and he would go to the hellish
regions for such inaction.

Inaction in action. There is another kind of inaction performed by karma
yogis. They execute their social duties without attachment to results,
dedicating the fruits of their actions to God. Although engaged in all
kinds of activities, they are not entangled in karmic reactions, since they
have no motive for personal enjoyment. There were many great kings in
Indian history—Dhruv, Prahlad, Yudhisthir, Prithu, and Ambarish—who
discharged their kingly duties to the best of their abilities, and yet
because their minds were not entangled in material desires, their actions
were termed Akarma, or inaction. Another name for akarma is karma yoga,
which has been discussed in detail in the previous two chapters as well.

2        Some means of applications suggested by some leading books:

1. They hate playing politics.     Successful people can't stand playing
politics -- and to some degree, people who play politics. They don't care
about jockeying for promotions or trying to be "right" in a meeting. A
successful person's primary focus is on solving difficult problems and
accomplishing cool things.

2. They love when others win.    Politically motivated people hate when
other people earn praise or recognition; they instinctively feel that
diminishes the light from their star. Others aren't competitive, at least
not in that way. They want to be recognized, but their accomplishments
don't preclude others from doing great things, too. They want everyone else
who does something awesome to get recognized, too.

3. They desperately want to see ideas come to fruition.      Maybe they
love to dream up their own ideas. Or maybe they love to help others build
out their ideas. Either way, successful people want to make things happen
-- new, exciting, crazy, groundbreaking things. Successful people don't
want to manage what already exists; they want to create what doesn't exist
-- yet.

4. They're meta-thinkers.          Successful people spend a lot of time
thinking about thinking. They like to think about the best way to think
about a goal or challenge or problem. They like to think about how to think
differently and develop a different angle or approach or perspective. They
like to think about thinking, because when they find new ways to think,
they find new ways to act.

5. They prefer to make or enhance the rules.      Meta-thinkers instinctively
evaluate every rule -- and look for ways to improve it. They prefer to
figure things out. They see rules as problems to solve or challenges to
overcome.

6. They believe nothing is sacred.              Successful people don't
say, "Well, that's just the way it is." Instead, they never feel what is
must always be, because perspectives can be shifted. Laws of physics can be
broken. Conventional wisdom may not be wisdom at all. Even when something
huge stands in their way, they know there's a way around it -- they just
need to figure it out. Changing a paradigm makes new things possible. {KR
It is not nasthika; Oozhiyum utpakkam kanbar; we have the duty to try-out
even if it will not succeed and against the nature, because action is a
must}

7. They love solving problems.        Successful people constantly look for
problems to solve: sometimes little, sometimes big, sometimes technical,
sometimes business- or team-related. Drop them into a static situation and
they'll create "problems" they can solve.

8. They're great at self-assessment.        Why? They constantly evaluate
what they do, and then work hard to be even better tomorrow than they are
today.  More than anything, successful people are honest with themselves.
{KR Ennith thuniga karumam}

9. They embrace nontechnical feedback.         Successful people readily
take input from others. And they definitely don't put up barriers to
feedback. Feedback, especially critical feedback, is just another problem
to solve. Becoming better is more important than their egos. That's because
they don't see feedback as threatening -- they see feedback as
enlightening. Plus they know they need a lot more feedback on interpersonal
skills and personal growth than on technical skills. Why? Technical issues
are obvious. Because they are constantly self-assessing, successful people
know their technical limitations better than anyone else. But what other
issues might be standing in their way? (If you see what they need to
improve on and tell them, you become their hero, because now they can solve
a problem, they weren't aware of.) {KR  Epporul yar vay ketpinum…}

10. They actively create their future selves.      In general, successful
people realize they are often their own worst enemy. They don't see
themselves as controlled by external forces; they think the barrier between
what they are and what they want is almost always them. So they're
constantly trying to be better tomorrow than they are today -- even if the
people around them wish they would just give it a rest. {KR Competence is
developed, not by envying the other; but by vying with oneself alone;
elevation arises only by lifting up own qualities}

11. They adore taking things off their plates.        Look at pictures of
Albert Einstein and you would think, "Dude, never changed clothes?" Nope --
but he did have a lot of identical clothing. He didn't want to waste
brainpower figuring out what to wear every day. Successful people have a
similar tendency to systematize, not to be anal but to take small and large
decisions off their plate so they don't have to waste time thinking about
them. So, they eat similar things, wear similar clothing, and create daily
routines. They organize so they don't have to waste brain-share on things
that don't really matter. But don't confuse creating routines with being
compulsive. Successful people will change a routine the moment they see a
flaw or an opportunity to make an improvement. There's method to the
apparent madness -- you just have to look for it.

12. They're awesome at leveraging self-reward.       Successful people
almost always do the things they have to do before they tackle the things
they want to do. They use what they want to do as a reward. And that means
the more things they have to do, the more they'll get done. (But that
doesn't mean they're great at celebrating success. Because they're
constantly trying to improve, a "big win" isn't big -- it's simply the
outcome of all the things they did to make it come true.) {KR Is there
anything as Big?}

13. They believe they're in total control . . .  Many people feel luck has
a lot to do with success or failure: If they succeed, luck played a part;
if they fail, the odds just didn't go their way. Successful people feel
they have complete control over their success or failure. If they succeed,
they caused it. If they fail, they caused it. {KR We have to believe in
ourselves or else we will never be believed by anyone}

14.So their egos don't suffer when they fail.            Successful people
don't see failure as a blow to the ego. Failure can be fixed. A future self
will figure it out. Failure is just another problem to solve.
                          {KR   STHITHAPRAGNAN}

15. They do everything with intent.       Successful people don't do
"random." They always have a reason for what they do, because they're
constantly thinking about why they do what they do. They're not afraid.
They're not emotionally attached to ideas or ways of doing things. They
just want to be better and to make the world better. And best of all, they
know they can -- and will. (KR  Enniya enniyangu eythuba}

KR IRS  9 1 24