COIN

I took my oxford dictionary for different meanings of theword coin. In
thesaurusone meaning given is originate.

Probably based on this in Telecom department/BSNL there isa system called
coining.This is a reporting system from level of junior engineers to higher up
in themorning by about 6-7 AM. This time is followed in the field. Even
leaveintimation is told at that time.

In the office side the time of reporting is by 10 AM aftercoming to office.

So, in the field, the works completed, to be done,requirements etc. will be
thought and kept ready by Junior Engineer. Afterlistening to it the Assistant
Engineer, will give new assignments, requirementscomplied, further works etc.
This was a routine except Sunday, unless there isan emergency.

The compiled report from the field will be reported toDivisional Engineer,
Divisional Engineer to Director. Even before director’s compiledreport to GM,
there will be discussions among them by coining. So even though wewoke up early
morning, engaged on these discussions till about 8 AM. If anyofficer is on
leave report is given to next higher authority, or to the officergiven
additional charge. In rare cases the DE/Director may call a JE directlyand
assign works.

But above 50-60% items discussed may not be possible dueto different field
maintenance works which is given top priority. Particularstaff availability,
their assistants were a major concern.

In the office, though different works discussed by 10.30to 11 AM, still more
than 70% could not be completed mainly due to visitors anddata availability.
Often late evening it was a common scene, GM, Director, DE andAE sitting
together in a convenient places and complete works, using computers.In the
network data will be discussed, calculated and entered will be availableto all.

I recollect an interesting incident while working at Hosur. The TVS Companyhad
a few telephone connections and two of them were faulty on a day. One
whitecollared officer came in motorbike and he put the complaint to JE by 10
AM. Thefield staffs 2 persons were assigned and we intimated him, the problem
will beset right in 2 hours. We found him sitting before us. We could not
discuss furtherthings keeping him in front of us. Again my JE told the work
will be completedin 2 hours and he can go. Still he was not moving.

When we raised our eyebrows he replied- Sir, I cannot leave from herewithout
set righting faults and talking from telephone exchange to the numbers.It is my
assigned duty for today. If I go now my boss will bombard me.

With a smile, we asked him to sit in dormitory and readthe newspaper till the
fault was set right. On those days customer longue wasnot there in the
exchange.

Gopalakrishnan 19-2-2024