---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: N Sekar <nseka...@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, May 23, 2024, 10:45 AM
Subject: Brahmins were not beggars
To: <keralaiy...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Rangarajan T.N.C. <tncrangara...@yahoo.com>, Chittanandam V. R. <
chittananda...@gmail.com>, Mathangi K. Kumar <mathangikku...@gmail.com>,
Narayanaswamy Sekar <nsekar...@gmail.com>, APS Mani <m...@manijpn.in>,
Srinivasan Sridharan <sridhsriniva...@gmail.com>, SRIRAMAJAYAM <
vabal...@gmail.com>, Rama (Iyer 123 Group) <kaviran...@gmail.com>

Brahmins were not beggars, not at all.

It is just that the brahmins led a life of service and sacrifice, to live
for the society as a whole and not ( or supposed to be not) for themselves
alone and hence they did not seek wealth - except the wealth of knowledge.
That age is gone, long gone.

In turn, society took care of all their needs - hence no need to amass
wealth for themselves and their progeny.

Society gave " Biksha" as a sign of gratitude.

Drona and others like him, although experts on archery and others, did not
sell their knowledge for a price. Brahmins are not supposed to sell their
knowledge for a living but teach the qualified disciples who in turn gave
them " Guru Dakshina," to show their gratitude.

Guru Dakshina was not demanded but given voluntarily though we have the
Mahabharatha say that Drona asked Arjuna, as Guru Dakshina,  to capture
Draupada - to avenge the insult Draupada metedout to Drona.

As the Yugas changed so did the principles and practices and the Kanchi
Mahaperiava has also lamented the fact that the brahmins have given up on
their traditional duty but have taken up to business and othes, as a means
of living. He said the day we started amassing wealth, our decline started.

Even now, we have the practice of giving
" Biksha" to the Acharyas of Kanchi Mutt.
That does not mean the Acharyas beg - it is our way of showing love,
affection and respect.

Biksha Vandanam is not begging. They don't ask for it but we give.

N Sekar
Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer
<https://mail.onelink.me/107872968?pid=NativePlacement&c=Global_Acquisition_YMktg_315_EmailSignatureGrowth_YahooMail:Search,Organize,Conquer&af_sub1=Acquisition&af_sub2=Global_YMktg&af_sub3=&af_sub4=100000945&af_sub5=OrganizeConquer__Static_>

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 9:47 AM, 'gopala krishnan' via KeralaIyers