Percepts of advaitham Part 4 10 2024 KR IRS contd

VENKATANATHA

by

B. Sitamahalakṣmi

M.A.

Śrī Veṅkaṭanātha wrote an excellent commentary — Brahmānandagiri on Śrī
Śaṅkara's bhāṣya on the Gītā. As is the case with all of our historical
personages it is difficult to determine with any accuracy the date of
Veṅkaṭanātha. His work does not contain even stray references to the
biographical details of his life. A perusal of this commentary shows that
our author criticises Madhusūdana Sarasvatī for having misconstrued some of
the passages of Śrī Śaṅkara on the Gītā in his commentary on the
Gītā-bhāṣya — Gūdārtha-dīpikā. From this we may conclude that Veṅkaṭanātha
flourished after Madhusūdana Sarasvatī. Dharmarājādhvarin the author of the
Vedāntaparibhāṣā speaks of one Veṅkaṭanātha as his guru:

śrīmad veṅkaṭanāthākhyān velāṅguḍinivāsinaḥ

jagadgurūnaham vande sarvatantrapravartakān.

>From this we cannot conclude that Veṅkaṭanātha was the preceptor of
Dharmarājādhvarin; for, the latter says in the following verse that his
grand-preceptor was Nṛsiṃha.

tam praṇaumi nṛsimhākhyam yatīndram paramam gurum.

Veṅkaṭanātha states that he is the disciple of one Rāmabrahmānandatīrtha
otherwise known as Abhinava Śaṅkarāchārya. Hence these two personages
cannot be identical.

The identity of Veṅkaṭanātha cannot be traced even through his other works.
It is clear from his commentary on the Gītā that he has written three more
works, namely, Advaitavajrapañjara, Mantrasārasudhānidhi and a commentary
on the Taittirīyo’paniṣad-bhāṣya. We shall now set forth briefly some
noteworthy features of the commentary Brahmānandagiri.

According to Advaita, Ātman which is absolute bliss and consciousness when
divested of avidyā is spoken of as liberation. Avidyā present in Ātman is
the root-cause of all evils and its removal necessarily brings about the
removal of all miseries. Ātman which is liberation is self-evident and it
does not require any other thing for its manifestation. But, since it is
veiled by avidyā and since avidyā could be removed only by the direct
realisation of Ātman, the latter is said to be the means to liberation.
>From a study of the Gītā as a whole, it is possible for us to gather that
in it three paths are recognised as paths leading to the realisation of
Ātman. And, they are: the path of knowledge (jñāna-yoga), the path of
devotion (bhakti-yoga), and the path of action (karma-yoga).

Of these three paths, the path of knowledge consists in realising the
Absolute as it is in itself, pure and satire, unenveloped by any upādhi or
veil. This is possible by pursuing Vedāntic study under a preceptor,
reflection, and meditation. The aspirant must possess certain traits which
are described as the four-fold aid of which control of intellect, and
external senses is important. These are subordinate to the Vedāntic study.
The prevalent view in Advaita is that the mahāvākyas of the Upaniṣads
themselves give rise to the direct realisation of Ātman. This path is a
difficult course of discipline because it aims at realizing the Absolute as
it is in itself. It is because of this that this path can suit only those
who live in the high intellectual plane and have definitely and decidedly
transcended the sense region. But to average people this is not possible;
they have not attained to that kind reflection, and meditation. The point
that is of profound importance here is that those who worship the personal
God with devotion reach the abode of Hiraṇyagarbha and there they get the
knowledge of Brahman by pursuing Vedāntic study, reflection, and
meditation, and thereby realize their identity with Brahman. Our author
emphasises the view that Vedāntic study, reflection, and meditation, alone
could give rise to the knowledge of Brahman.

‘nirguṇopāsanadvāraiva saguṇopāsanam mumukṣoḥ mokṣāya prabhavati, nānyathā;
śravaṇa-manana-nididhyāsanābhāve jñānā-nudayāt’[6]

The Gītā passage—

‘yogināmapi sarveṣām madgatenāntarātmanā

śraddhāvān bhajate yo mām sa me yuktatamo mataḥ’

states that a devotee is superior to a jñānin, In the final analysis this
passage means that bhakti is superior to jñāna. Our author says that this
contention is wrong.

The Upaniṣadic passage—

‘yasya deve parābhaktiḥ yathā deve tathā gurau’

and the smṛti texts such as—

‘udārāḥ sarva eva ete jñānī tvātmaiva me matam’

‘bhaktyā mām abhijānāti yāvān yaśchāsmi tattvataḥ

tato mām tattvato jñātvā viśate tadanantaram’

affirm that bhakti is only a means to knowledge and it cannot be superior
to knowledge. But what is intended to be conveyed in the Gītā passage
‘yogināmapi sarveṣām’, etc., cited above is that the worship of the Lord is
better than the worship of Gods like Rudra, Āditya, etc.

jñānasādhanatvenoktāyāḥ bhakteḥ phalatvena pradhānabhūtād
jñānādādhikyāyogāccha; kiṃtu devatāntara bhaktiyogāpekṣayā
bhagavadbhaktiyogasya śraiṣṭhyamuchyate- yogvnāmapi sarveṣām
vasurudrādityaparāṇām iti bhāṣyokteḥ.

Liberation, according to Advaita, necessarily requires the removal of
avidyā present in Brahman. And, avidyā could be removed only by the
intuitive knowledge of Brahman. To speak of bhakti as directly leading to
liberation is, therefore, misleading. What is termed bhakti is the striving
for the intuitive knowledge of Brahman by means of and through devotion to
a personal God. And, intuitive knowledge of Brahman alone is the means to
liberation.

‘premarūpā kṛyā baktiḥ jñānasyaiva sādhanam, jñānameva tu muktim prati
sādhanam iti gītāchāryasya bhagavato matam’

Faith is the basis of devotion. Beginning with faith and worshipping with
devotion the personal God, the aspirant attains to the intuitive knowledge
of Brahman and thereby he is liberated.

A perusal of this commentary Brahmānandagiri shows how very learned the
author is besides being a very impartial critic. He is mainly concerned
with emphasizing the fact that the Advaitic interpretation in accordance
with the bhāṣya of Śrī Śaṅkara is the only correct interpretation of the
Gita. Accordingly he misses no opportunity to criticise the interpretations
of Śrī Rāmānuja and Śrī Madhva on the Gītā and the interpretations of
Madhusūdanasarasvatī on the Gītā-bhāṣya of Śrī Śaṅkara. His interpretations
are always to the point and in consonance with Advaita. His style is easy
and unpedantic. It is a pity that none of his other works are available. If
they are lost for ever, then it is indeed a misfortune to the Advaita
literature.

DA SARASVATI

by

N. S. Ramanujam

Nyāya-Vyākaraṇa-Mīmāṃsā-Vedānta Śiromaṇi

Mahādevānanda Sarasvatī, the author of the Tattvānusandhāna is a disciple
of Svayamprakāśānanda. According to Das Gupta, these writers flourished in
the seventeenth and the early eighteenth centuries.

The Tattvānusandhāna serves as a refresher to the serious student engaged
in manana . All the Advaitic concepts are dealt with in this work in a very
lucid way. The author himself wrote a commentary on it by name
Advaita-chintā-kaustubha.

Mahādevānanda’s most important contribution is his treatment of the concept
of ajñāna. According to Advaita, Īśvara, jīva and jagat are but the
appearances of a transcendental entity called Brahman. The principle that
accounts for this seeming diversification of Brahman which is the sole
Reality is ajñāna. The conception of ajñāna is thus the pivotol point of
the Advaita.

Ajñāna is the first cause of the phenomenal world and consequently
corresponds to the prakṛti or the pradhāna of the Sāṅkhya system; but there
are vital differences and metaphysically the two are completely distinct.
The pradhāna of the Sāṅkhya system is conceived of as the source of the
universe by being independent of the puruṣa. But ajñāna is considered as
the primordial cause of the universe by being dependent on Brahman. ling,
and vikṣepa-śakti or the power of revealing. By āvaraṇa-śakti it conceals
Brahman and by vikṣepa-śakti it reveals it in the form of Īśvara, jīva, and
jagat.

Ajñāna is beginningless and it consists of three qualities of sattva,
rajas, and tamas. It is a positive entity (bhāvarūpa) and not an antecedent
negation of knowledge (jñānābhāva). It derives its existence only from its
superimposition on Brahman and it is held to be indeterminable
(anirvachanīya) either as real or as unreal.

It cannot be regarded as real, as it is removed by the intuitive knowledge
of Brahman. Nor can it be considered as unreal, because it is determinately
perceived in the form of ‘I am ignorant’. An unreal thing like the horn of
a hare is never experienced. It cannot be real and unreal at once on the
ground that this conception is self-discrepant. Hence it is regarded as
neither real, nor unreal, nor real and unreal at once, but anirvachanīya or
indeterminable either as real or as unreal. Ajñāna is removable by the
intuitive knowledge of Brahman. It is thus jñāna-nivartya.

This ajñāna itself is termed māyā and. avidyā. Some Advaitins draw a
distinction between māyā and avidyā and define the former as that which
does not delude its abode, and the latter as that which deludes its abode.
Mahādevānanda does not favour this distinction. He holds that ajñāna which
is characterised by the predominance of radiant sattva is māyā and ajñāna
which is characterised by the predominance of clouded sattva is avidyā.
Māyā, avidyā and ajñāna are identical. Or, ajñāna in its aspect of
vikṣepa-śakti is spoken of as māyā and in its aspect of āvaraṇa-śakti is
spoken of as avidyāis Īśvara. This is precisely the view of the author of
the Vivaraṇa. This view is known as pratibiṃba-vāda, Sarvajñātman in his
Saṃkṣepaśārīraka holds that the reflection of Brahman in avidyā is Īśvara
and the reflection of Brahman in avidyā and intellect is jīva. In both the
views the consciousness that underlies both Īśvara and jīva is the
witness-self.

The jīva is three-fold owing to the difference in its hunting adjunct, as
Viśva, Taijasa, and Prājña. The jīva when associated with avidyā, the
intellect and the gross body regards itself as conscious of the waking
condition and in this aspect it is termed ‘Viśva’ And the same jīva when
associated with avidyā and intellect feels itself as conscious of the dream
state and in this aspect it is called ‘Taijasa’ And when associated with
avidyā and intellect in its subtle state, the jīva considers itself as
conscious of the deep-sleep state and in this aspect it is termed ‘Prājña’.
The waking slate (jāgradavasthā) is one in which the direct apprehension of
the various objects is simultaneous with the functioning of the sense
organs. And this state is experienced by the jīva as Viśva.

When the meritorious or non-meritorious deeds which gave rise to the
experience during the waking state are exhausted and when the deeds which
cause the experience of the dream state begin to function, the belief in
one’s identification with the gross body is removed by a vṛtti of ‘tamo
guṇa’ called sleep; and thereupon all the senses become absorbed by their
ceasing to function. And thereupon the Viśva is also spoken of as having
been absorbed. Then begins the dream state (svapnāvasthā) in which the
knowledge of things is acquired without the functioning of the sense organs
and is due to the latent impressions present in the mind. And this state is
experienced by the jīva as ‘Taijasa’.

When the deeds which caused the dream state also are exhausted and when the
intellect together with its latent impressions merge in avidyā, there
appears the state of deep-sleep which is the resting place of the jīva
which is exhausted on account of its experience of both waking and dream
states. Deep-sleep or suṣupti is the cognition of avidyā only in the form
‘I did not know anything’. One who has awakened from deep-sleep recollects
‘I slept well; I did not know anything’. This recollection is impossible
unless there was such an experience. It is clear that in the deep-sleep
state there is the experience of bliss and also of avidyā. And this state
is experienced by the jīva as ‘Prājnā’

By eliminating all the limiting conditions and by the knowledge of the pure
Self there results liberation. The three-aspects of the jīva, viz., Viśva,
Taijasa, and Prājña together with the three states of waking, dream, and
deep-sleep are of the nature of avidyā and therefore not real. The absolute
consciousness which is constant in, and also the witness of the three
states is the fourth (turīya) and it is transcendent and real. And the pure
Self which is the basis of the cognition ‘I’ is non-different from this.
All the three states and the three aspects of the jīva are relevant before
the rise of the true knowledge of Brahman and cease to be so after the rise
of the knowledge of the true nature of Brahman.

Parallel to this conception of jīva, we have a three-fold view of the
cosmic self as Vaiśvānara, Hiraṇyagarbha, and Īśvara. It is essential to
remember that the sentient element in all the three is identical and the
only difference is in the limiting adjuncts. The consciousness that
transcends these three is identical with Ātman which transcends the three
states of waking, dream, and deep sleep.

The aspirant, owing to avidyā has lost sight of his identity with Brahman.
By pursuing Vedāntic study, reflection, and meditation, he attains to the
intuitive knowledge of Brahman. Whether the major texts of the Upaniṣads
themselves give rise to the knowledge of Brahman or whether meditation
(nididhyā-sana) leads to the knowledge of Brahman, is a question of great
importance in Advaita. The prevalent view is that the major texts of the
Upaniṣads themselves give rise to the knowledge of Brahman. And,
Mahādevānanda accepts this view. When such experienced conviction of unity
arises in him he becomes a jivan-mukta. After the final fall of his body,
he becomes Brahman itself.

Mahādevānanda has not introduced any new line of argument in the
interpretation of Advaita. As has been said in the beginning his work
serves as a refresher to a student engaged in manana. He has had access to
all the important Advaita works before his time; and by presenting the
Advaita concepts in a lucid and admirable way for the benefit of posterity,
he has rendered solid service to the cause of Advaita.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GANGADHARENDRA SARASVATI

by

T. S. Narayana Rao

B.E.

Gaṅgādharendra Sarasvatī is the author of the Svārājya-siddhi, a manual of
Advaita. In the concluding verse of this work he gives his date as 1748
Vikrama Śāka (vasvabdhimunyavanimānaśake). This corresponds to 1792 A.D. No
further details of the author are available except that his guru was one
Rāmachandra Sarasvatī and his parama-guru Sarvajña Sarasvatī.

The work Svārājya-siddhi deals with all the important concepts of Advaita
especially with the means to realize the self-luminous Ātman free from the
veil of avidyā. It consists of one hundred and sixty-five verses divided
into three chapters which are termed adhyāropa-prakaraṇa, apavāda-prakaraṇa
and kaivalya-prakaraṇa. The author himself has written a commentary on this
work and it is known as Kaivalyakalpataru.

Brahman, the ultimate Reality, is one without a second, and it is free from
any attributes. The attributeless nature of Ātman is arrived at by adopting
the method of superimposition and negation (adhyāropa and apavāda). This,
in main, is the theme of the first chapter known as adhyāropa-prakaraṇa.
This chapter contains fifty-four verses. The author deals with the illusory
nature of bondage and discusses in detail the sense of the words tat and
tvam in the sentence tat tvam asi. Thirteen views as regards the nature of
the sense of the word tvam are referred to and critically examined. And,
the view of the Upaniṣads that the sense of the tvam is Ātman which is
identical with truth, consciousness, and bliss is established.

As regards the nature of the sense of the term tat the author first states
that it is Brahman which is the material and the efficient cause of the
world. Of course, this is the primary sense of the term tat. He refers to
the view-points of ten different school? of thought as regards the cause of
the universe and then critically examines them. He concludes by pointing
out that the secondary sense of the term tat is the attributeless Brahman
which is truth, consciousness and bliss.

The second chapter entitled apavāda-prakaraṇa consists of sixty three
verses. In this chapter, the author establishes the indeterminable
character of the universe and the non-dual nature of Brahman; and he does
so on the basis of the Chāndogyopaniṣad text —‘vāchāraṃbhaṇam vikāro
nāmadheyam, mṛttiketyeva satyam’. The universe appears owing to avidyā
which is present in Brahman or Ātman. Brahman is the cause of the universe
in that it is the substratum of avidyā and its modification, the universe.
Brahman is the transfigurative material cause (vivarto’pādána) of the
universe. while avidyā is the transformative material cause
(paṛṇāmyupādāna). Avidyā and the universe belong to the same order of
reality: both have empirical reality. Brahman and the universe, on the
other hand, belong to different orders of reality. While Brahman is
absolutely real, the universe is only empirically real. Just as the snake
superimposed on a rope disappears by the knowledge of the rope, so also the
universe superimposed on Brahman disappears by the intuitive knowledge of
Brahman.

The Advaitin postulates a two-fold definition of Brahman, one called
svarūpa-lakṣaṇa and the other taṭhasthalakṣaṇa. The object of defining a
thing is to differentiate it from everything else and this result is
attained generally by reference to a property that is distinctive of it. To
give an example, water is defined by reference to its liquidity—a feature
which is found in it and in none other. This is an instance of
svarūpa-lakṣaṇa; for this characteristic is an essential feature of the
object defined. Taṭhasthalakṣaṇa, on the other hand, differentiates an
object from the rest by reference to a property which is not its essential
nature. For example, a house of a person Devadatta is defined by reference
to the crow perching on its roof—a feature which is only external to the
house and not a part of the nature of the house. Though the two types of
definition differentiate the object defined from the rest, yet the
svarūpalakṣaṇa alone gives us a notion of the nature of the object defined.

The Advaitin defines Brahman by utilising the taṭhasthalakṣaṇa as the
source of the universe. The author has selected passages from the five
principal Upaniṣads, namely, the Aitareya the Bṛhadāraṇyaka, the
Taittirīyaka, the Chāndogya and the Māṇḍūkya, to show that Brahman is the
source of the universe. This is taṭhastha-lakṣaṇa in that the
characteristic of being the source of the universe is not really present in
Brahman, but is only brought about by avidyā abiding in Brahman. This
definition only distinguishes Brahman from certain entities, but does not
give us a notion of its nature. And that is done by svarūpa-lakṣaṇa. The
Upaniṣadic texts such as ‘ satyam jñānam anantam brahma’ define Brahman as
of the nature of existence, consciousness, etc.

The author next proceeds to discuss the import o£ the five major texts of
the Upaniṣads, namely, prajñānam brahma (Aitareya) , aham brahmāsmi
(Bṛhadāraṇyaka), sa yaśchāyam purushe, yaśchasāvāditye, sa ekaḥ
(Taittirīyaka), tat tvam asi (Chāndogya), and ayamātma brahma (Māṇḍūkya).
The words such as tat and tvam, etc., constituting the sentences primarily
convey Īśvara and jīva. Īśvara is mediate and omniscient. Jīva is immediate
and ignorant. In view of the conflicting attributes which they have, there
cannot be any identification between the two. Hence secondary signification
is resorted to. The two words secondarily signify the absolute
consciousness which is the essential nature of both Īśvara and jīva. The
identity of the essential nature of Īśvara and jīva is the import of the
major texts of the Upaniṣads. This identity is not identity involving
duality, but it is identity-in-itself (svarūpābheda). In the Upaniṣadic
text —‘nirañjanaḥ paramam sāmyamupaiti’, the word sāmya conveys the sense
of identity and the word paramam conveys that that identity is
identity-in-itself. The intuitive knowledge of the identity of the
essential nature of Īśvara and jīva arising from the major texts of the
Upaniṣads annihilates avidyā along with its products.

The third chapter kaivalya-prakaraṇa consists of forty five verses. This
chapter deals with the nature of release. The intuitive knowledge of
Brahman is the sole means to release. Vāchaspatimiśra, the author of the
Bhāmatī holds that nididhyāsana is principal among the means that gives
rise to knowledge. Prakāśātman, the author of the Vivaraṇa, holds that
śravaṇa is principal and the other two are its auxiliaries. From this it is
clear that Prakāśātman holds that the Upaniṣadic sentences themselves give
rise to the intuitive knowledge of Brahman. This is the prevalent view; and
this author maintains the same.

One who has attained to the knowledge of Brahman continues to live till his
prārabdha-karma is exhausted by experiencing its results. This state is
known as jīvan-mukti. Our author explains the state of jīvan-mukti in this
chapter known as kaivalya-prakaraṇa. The outpourings of jīvan-mukta are set
forth in fifteen verses in this chapter and these verses, according to the
commentary Kaivalya-kalpataru constitute a section termed jīvan-mukti-gītā.
These verses explain in an admirable way the highly evolved state of the
infinite bliss enjoyed by the liberated souls. When the prārabdha-karma is
exhausted by experiencing its results, the jīvan-mukta is dissociated from
his physical accompaniments and he becomes Brahman itself. This is known as
videha-mukti.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ARAMASIVENDRA SARASVATI

by

V. Jagadeesvara Sastri

Vedānta Śiromaṇi

There have been many great saints and mystics in our country, in every
century. But it is only a very few, who have not only been distinguished
and great souls on their own, but have been formal heads of established
monastic institutions whose mission is to cater to the spiritual needs of
mankind.

The Kāñchī Kāmakoṭi Pīṭha is an ancient one, having been adorned by great
saints and sages in an unbroken line from Śrī Śaṅkara Bhagavatpāda. Among
the great souls who adorned the illustrious Kāmakoṭī Pīṭha, Śrī
Paramaśivendra Sarasvatī, who was a great saint and author of works on
Advaita, was the fifty-seventh āchārya. He had several śiṣyas. One of his
śiṣyas was the famous jīvanmukta of our land Śrī Sadāśiva Brahmendra
Sarasvatī.

Paramaśivendra Sarasvatī was a contemporary of Trayam-baka-makhi,
Śaṅkaranārāyaṇa makhi, Śrī Rāmendra and Śrī Varadarāja. This can be known
from the statement of Paramaśivendra himself at the end of his
Daharavidyāprakāśa:

eṣā trayambakamakhinaḥ Śrī rāmendrasya varadarājasya

śaṅkaranārayaṇamakhivarasya cha abhyarthanāvaśat rachitā

Paramaśivendra has written several works. Mention may be made here of a few:

1.     Daharavidyāprakāśa,

2.     Śivagītā-tātparyaprakāśikā,

3.     and Vedānta-nāma-ratna-sahasra-vyākhyā or Svarūpānu-sandhāna.

Among the works of Śrī Paramaśivendra Vēdānta-nāma-ratna-sahasra-vyākhyā is
a very important one. It is in the nature of an encyclopaedia of the words
that are applied to Brahman in the Upaniṣads. Śrī Sadāśiva Brahmendra
Sarasvatī in his Ātmānusandhāna has dealt with several names that were
described by Paramaśivendra in his work referred to above. Śrī Sadāśivendra
declares as follows :

śrīmatparamaśivendradeśikānām vayam mudā advaitānanda-

mādhvikamaṅghripadmamupāsmahe Śrī deśikokta
vedānta-nāmasāhasramadhyagānkāṃśchinnāmamaṇīn padmadāmabhirgrathayāmyaham

The work Vedānta-nāma-ratna-sahasra-vyākhyā is available in manuscript [D.
15508] in the Madras Government Oriental Manuscripts Library. We shall now
explain the aim of this work.

According to Advaita, the intuitive knowledge of Brahman is the means to
liberation. The performance of rituals purifies the mind of the aspirant
and generates in his mind the desire to know Brahman. Possessed of the
fourfold means, namely, nityā-nitya-vastu-viveka, ihāmutrārthabhogavirāga,
śama-damādi-sadhana-saṃpat and mumukṣutvam, the aspirant resorts to a
preceptor and pursues śravaṇa, manana and nididhyāsana. By śravaṇa is meant
the ascertainment that the final import of the Upaniṣads is the absolute
Brahman. Manana is arguing within oneself, after knowing definitely what
the Upaniṣads teach with a view to convince oneself that that teaching
alone is true. Nididhyāsana is the profound meditation upon the identity of
the individual Soul and brahman.

It has been said that the knowledge of Brahman is the sole means to
liberation. And that could arise only from the major texts of the Upaniṣads
like tat tvam asi , etc. The knowledge thus arising from the texts is not
effective in dispelling avidyā, because the intellect of the aspirant who
has such a knowledge is confounded by latent impressions arisen from
enjoyment of worldly objects (viṣaya-bhoga-vāsanā) , doubt regarding the
validity of the Upaniṣadic passages (pramāṇāsaṃbhāvanā), contrary notion as
regards the import of the Upaniṣadic texts (prameyāsaṃ-bhāvanā) and an
unconscious reassertion of old habits of thought (viparītūbhāvanā)
incompatible with the truth since learnt. The four-fold means removes
viṣayabhogavāsanā. Śravaṇa and manana remove pramaṇāsaṃbhāvanā and
prameyāsaṃbhavana. And, viparīta-bhāvanā could be removed only by
nididhyāsana. The latter consists in the meditation on one’s nature as free
from body, senses, etc.

Our author states:

‘ātmatattva-sākṣātkāravato’pi anekaśatasahasrajanma vāsanā-vaśāt
anuvartamānā dehādyātmabuddhirūpā viparītabhāvanā madhye madhye punaḥ punaḥ
anuvartate; . . . . . .

ataḥ tannirāsāya viraktasya kṛta-śravaṇasya tyaktasarvaiṣaṇasya
labdhasākṣāt-kāravato’pi nirantaram
dehendṛyādi-dṛśya-prapañcha-pravilāpana-purassaram svarūpānusandhānaṃ
kartavyam’ (p. 3).

Meditation upon one’s nature as free from body, senses, etc., and as
identical with Brahman should be pursued with the help of the words of the
Upaniṣadic texts which convey the true nature of Brahman.

‘tasmāt ātmānantādiśabdaiḥ

svarūpānusandhānam kartavyam’ (p. 7).

Words like satya, etc., found in the Upaniṣadic texts convey in an
affirmative manner the nature of Brahman as satya, etc. And words like
asthūla, etc., found in the Upaniṣadic texts convey in a negative way the
nature of Brahman as free from duality, etc. The author of the Brahma-sūtra
prescribes a method of gathering the unrepeated words found in the
affirmative Upaniṣadic passages in the aphorism— ānandādayaḥ pradhānasya
(3.3.11), and applies the same consideration to the words found in the
negative Upaniṣadic passages in the aphorism—

aksḥaradhiyām tvavarodhaḥ sāmānya-tadbhāvābhyām-aupasa-davat taduktam
(3.3.33).

Our author states:

taduktam sūtrakāraiḥ : ‘ānandādayaḥ pradhānasya’ iti ānandā-dayaḥ śabdāḥ
vidhimukhena brahmasvarūpam pratipādayitum pravṛttaḥ; anye asthūlādayaḥ
śabdāḥ dehendṛyādidṛśyaprapañcha-nishedhamukhena pravṛttāh —
tadapyuktam-akṣaradhiyām tvava-rodhaḥ sāmānya-tadbhāvābhyām aupasadavat
taduktam. (p. 7).

In this way our author has collected one thousand words in the alphabetical
order from the principal Upaniṣads and also from the Nṛsimhatāpinyupaniṣad,
and has shown how those words convey Brahman.

ataḥ . . . . . . nāmnām sahasram īśāvāsyādyāsu tāpaniyāntīsu śrutishu
buddhisaukaryāya akārādikṣakārāntatayā saṃgṛhītam (p. 11).

The words that are affirmative in character cannot convey Brahman through
primary signification. Every word employed to denote a thing denotes that
thing as associated with a certain genus, or act, or quality, or mode of
relation. But Brahman which transcends both speech and mind, which is free
from all qualities, has no genus, possesses no qualities, does not act, and
is related to nothing else; therefore the primary signification would not
hold good. The words that are affirmative in character convey the nature of
Brahman only through secondary signification. The words that are negative
in character negate all duality in Brahman and thereby indicate that the
latter is devoid of any relation, quality, part, etc. It should be noted
here that the words that are negative in character merely negate the forms
brought about by avidyā in Brahman. They do not, like the affirmative ones,
refer to some form and convey it as the essential nature of Brahman.

Thus, by collecting and giving the meaning of one thousand words from the
Upaniṣads, Śrī Paramaśivendra Sarasvatī has rendered a solid service to the
cause of Advaita, particularly to those who, having reached the higher
stage of manana, are desirous of overcoming viparītabhāvanā by meditating
upon the nature of Brahman conveyed by the numerous words constituting the
Upaniṣads.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

K Rajaram IRS  41024