Sugar Mountain
by Katrina
Rated PG-13

Gabrielle and I, we wandered to all the ancient  lands together. One of the
adventures I didn't touch on in my novel was  our adventures in the North West,
in Asia.
She was beginning to shy away from me, to leave my company for the  great
forests and monstrous jungles to which she would one day leave my  side for
eternity.
Indeed, I had never felt so alone as I journeyed to Asia and lay eyes  on the
strangest devil I had yet to see. Bear in mind, Gabrielle and I had
witnessed supernatural evidence such as poltageists and werewolves, but  never
had we
seen another of our kind like this. No, not like this. His  skin shone with
dark tan, and his eyes sparkled with uncommon mischief and  humour. I read the
name of this mysterious stranger from his mind, for in  truth, as ancient as he
was he was still weaker than myself.
Azim.
Stooped in his own twisted religious ideas, Azim seemed the very  creature I
detested in his needless destruction of mortal life. I saw his  revolting
ceremonies from my vantage point above his villages and  residence and felt my
stomach churn. Death at its cruelest. Not the sweet  and merciful death I often
gave to the scum of the mortal world, but  sickening and bone crunching
displays of strength and power. He enjoyed  the power and domination over his
followers. He enjoyed ravishing their  minds and destroying what little dreams
they
possessed before tearing  their bodies to shreds. Bloated on human blood, he
rose above his  followers and watched mercilessly as they bowed and scraped
their knees,  drawing blood.
I was perched high above this carnage, watching the scene with narrowed
eyes. They called this structure Sugar Mountain, the way it rose high  above
the
villages on a large mound, giving the God an all seeing  advantage over his
followers.
Hopping down, I walked through the melee of human carnage and reached  down
among the helpless mortals to pick up one who had fallen and was  being
trampled to death. The very image of Nicholas stared before me, the  only
difference
being darker skin. His sunlit days had accorded him a  substantial tan.
Smiling affectionately, I guided him out of the crush of the mortal  crowd
and told him to leave.
"But .. but .. my God ..." He muttered, his eyes closed in fear of
displeasing the ancient God of Asia.
"He is no God" I confirmed. "Neither should he pretend as such. We are
demons, devils. We take blood, we enjoy it. We kill, we love it. But we  are no
Gods! Leave now" Baring my teeth at the young man I watched him as  he fled
away
from me and Azim.
Then I felt *his* prescence behind me. Azim.
"I do not resent you for what you have done" Azim said slyly, his  golden
eyebrows furrowed. "I only wish to know why".
I whirled to face him, my hands catching his attire and flinging him  with
preternatural force against the wall behind him. It shattered like so  much
glass through the force of my actions. Women wailed and scattered as  they
watched
the two God's wage war upon each other.
"Why?" I seethed. "Why???! I will tell you why. You are throwing random
images to these pathetic mortals. You are destroying their very spirit  only to
live in a blood bath each night. You do not need it or even truly  enjoy it.
Death is the ultimate pleasure for us, but it need not mean we  take life in
vain. For all the death's I have initiated in this world I  still maintain a
love
and respect for all things living".
"Respect" Azim spat angrily. "We are life eternal. They are nothing!"
"They are our sustenance, yes. But they are not to be trampled upon.  You
strive to be some useless God, and you cannot heal your followers. You  only
bring them death and dismay".
Azim freed himself indignantly and turned away from me. "You know,  Lestat, I
have heard about the way you destroyed the theatre in Paris. You  will not
destroy my way of life to suit your own twisted morals".
"I will return" I vowed "One day, I shall return. Not only to destroy  you,
but to destroy all you hold dear