On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:17:18AM -0500, Liz Phillippi wrote:
> Take a look at this newspaper ad from Oregon regarding their measure 27 vote.
> www.voteyeson27.org
>
> http://www.voteyeson27.org/labelge.pdf

Personally I'd prefer to see this labeling change come into effect
by the pressure of the free market rather than by government mandate.
Stores could refuse to carry non-labeled foods and thereby attract
customers away from the stores that do not require GMO labeling.

In fact, I wish the whole food labeling thing came about this way in the
first place instead of by government mandate, so that today we'd have
competition about who can provide the best information, rather than
everyone just providing only the "minimal legal requirement".  If this
had happened, I think this whole GMO labeling thing would be taking
care of itself.

But things like that could only happen in a free country.

As I understand it, companies that are careful to keep their products
GMO-free and try to label them accordingly get smacked with "legal
pressure" from companies that can't honestly so label their products,
and actually find themselves in violation of the labeling laws.

Rather than pressure the government to fix this problem with more laws,
I'd like to see them repeal the current labeling laws.