TITLE: Slice
SERIES: Sequel to 'Spin'
Fandom: Van Helsing
Pairing: Carl/Gabriel, mostly implied
Author: Cousin Shelley
Archive: I'll put it at WWOMB
Rating: R
Feedback: Sure, to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Warnings: Slash, pre-slash

This is dedicated to Tiffany and Ginger, my newfound
partners in smu--er, crime. 

Notes:

This story is the sequel to 'Spin,' a short,
two-chapter story from December 2004, and will make
much more sense if you read that story first:

http://www.geocities.com/csnshelley/spin.html

Slice
Chapter 1

Van Helsing paced.  He and Carl had somehow managed to
avoid each other all day, and it felt wrong. 
Unnatural.  And he had to admit, it was at least
partly intentional.  He really didn't know how to act
in front of Carl after walking in on him early that
morning.  He thought he'd managed to act as if he
hadn't seen anything, but there was lingering doubt,
especially after their brief conversation.  How much
did Carl know?  Van Helsing was afraid that question
would hang in the air between them, making things
awkward, until he found out the answer.  He refused to
hide--this was ridiculous.

He jerked open his door, ready to head for the lab and
possibly the library in search of Carl.  He jumped at
the same time Carl hollered.

"Oh!  Van Helsing, I was just about to knock."

"I was just coming to look for you."

"Really?"  Carl dropped his voice a little.  "Really. 
Well, here I am."  He smiled and bounced slightly on
the balls of his feet.

Gabriel smiled a little, nodding his head.  "Here you
are."

After several seconds, Carl said, "Are you going to
invite me in, or should we stand and say nothing in
the hallway?"

"Oh, oh, come in."

Carl brushed past Van Helsing and seated himself on
the only chair in the room.  "I have a few minutes and
decided to get away from the lab for a bit.  Some
chemical reactions take an intolerably long amount of
time." He motioned for Van Helsing to sit on the bed.
"Well, come on, sit down and tell me about it. You
never did, you know."

Van Helsing sat on the edge of the bed.  "Never did
what?"

"Tell me about your trip.  Sicily, what you found,
what you did, that sort."

"Ah, no I didn't, did I?"  Van Helsing realized what
had felt so odd about the day, aside from the obvious.
 He'd never had the long post-mission conversation
with Carl.  He missed that.  He relaxed and told Carl
all about the churches and how only vandals had been
responsible--No evil to vanquish, this time.  Just
orneriness. He described the buildings to Carl in
detail, as well as some of the people he'd met, even
one particularly delicious meal he'd had while there. 
Carl listened intently, asking questions now and then,
nodding and 'ahh'-ing, and seeming to file everything
away in his remarkable brain.

When Van Helsing finished talking, and Carl had asked
all the questions he wanted, a silence descended on
them. It wasn't awkward, but Gabriel was afraid of it
becoming so given the thoughts rushing through his
head about what Carl might know *he* knew. "Tell me,
Carl. Did you get the table fixed?"

Carl laughed, a little self-consciously.  "No, I
didn't fix it.  Brother Caleb took care of that, after
the requisite amount of moaning and groaning about the
consequences of me being allowed within ten feet of
anything fast or sharp."  Carl laughed harder.  "You
should have seen his face. . . the chair we destroyed
this morning?  His."  

Van Helsing laughed, too, but didn't let the comment
pass without notice.  He wiped his eyes. "Wait, wait a
minute, Carl.  The chair *we* destroyed?  You're the
one who dropped the blade.  He wasn't too cross, was
he?"

Carl hugged himself, trying to get his laughter under
control.  "I don't think cross is the appropriate
word.  He finally forgave me.  Said accidents do
happen, especially when I'm around.  And luckily we
didn't get hurt."

"At least it was an accident.  Did you tell him you
cut the corner off the table on purpose?  I'd like to
see his face, in that case."  Van Helsing chuckled.

"Well, when I told him what happened with the table,
he--"  Carl went white.  It occurred to him that Van
Helsing, at the start of the conversation, had asked
about the table.  He'd cut the corner off the table
long before Van Helsing showed up--at least, that's
what Carl had thought, until now.  

When Carl stopped speaking and all the color drained
from his face, it hit Van Helsing.  He'd just given
everything away with an innocent question about the
table.  He no longer needed to ask Carl anything--both
men knew he was there.

"Carl, I--I'm sorry.   I walked in and then was going
to try to go back out. . . it was too late and I
didn't want you to be embarrassed."

"Oh my God."  Carl put a hand on his own forehead and
closed his eyes.

"No, don't be upset.  I just didn't want you to be--"

"Embarrassed?  Humiliated?  Van Helsing, will you
excuse me?  I have some chemicals in the lab that
really do need my attention."

Van Helsing rose off the bed and grabbed Carl's arm
before the friar could rush away.  "No, Carl, please
don't act this way."

"I'm sorry to have embarrassed you, and shamed myself.
You must be disgusted!"

"Carl, please, it's not as if it's something every
other man on earth hasn't done.  It's not as if it's
something. . . I haven't done.  We all haven't done." 
He swallowed hard.  "Many times."

Carl felt his face getting some of its color back,
thinking about that.  Van Helsing. Many times.  "But
most don't have witnesses."  He avoided Van Helsing's
eyes.  At least he doesn't know I was thinking about
him, Carl thought. Panic surged through him as he
wondered if he'd whispered Van Helsing's name in
passion while he was having his fantasy.  No, he
didn't think so.  

"True, most don't have witnesses."  He patted Carl's
shoulder.  "But please, don't let it bother you. 
That's the last thing I would want." 

Carl reluctantly nodded, still avoiding Van Helsing's
eyes. "I'm sorry you. . . saw what you saw, Van
Helsing.  Just please, don't think badly of me? 
Now--now I really do have to go."

Van Helsing squeezed Carl's shoulders and didn't let
the man move away.  "So for a moment you weren't an
inventor, or a friar, or a genius.  For a moment,
someone caught you being just an ordinary man.  How
completely awful."  He laughed.  "Think badly?  Of
you, Carl?  You've always been the best thing about
this place."

"W--thank you, Van Helsing."  He smiled.  "I--that's
nice of you to say."  He noticed that hands still held
his shoulders.  Carl reached up and patted his friends
arms.  "Chemicals.  Lab.  Big explosion soon."

"Of course.  Be careful, Carl.  Try not to destroy too
much.  Caleb must already be at the end of his rope."

Carl chuckled, then left.  Van Helsing leaned against
the closed door, almost disbelieving what had just
happened.  He'd let slip about the table, and things
could have gone so wrong.  If he hadn't been able to
convince Carl everything was all right, he hated to
think what might have become of their friendship. 
He'd just have to make sure Carl truly realized he
didn't think badly of him.  He supposed he could have
told Carl that he'd done the same thing that very day.
But that might have made things worse, having Carl
wonder why Van Helsing would feel the need to so after
watching Carl. . . . Then he'd be the one begging Carl
not to be disgusted or think badly of him.

He just hadn't been able to get the image of Carl, his
head thrown back, his mouth open, face flushed in
pleasure, out of his mind.  He wondered if he ever
would.  

-----------------
End Chapter 1

Cousin Shelley 
Yahoo IM:  csnshelley
http://www.geocities.com/csnshelley
http://www.livejournal.com/users/cousinshelley/

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kkxxlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

this list is archived at:
http://www.squidge.org/~peja/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThereBeSlashHere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to