TITLE: Luck
AUTHOR: Cousin Shelley
FANDOM: Starsky & Hutch
FEEDBACK: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WARNINGS: Slash
RATING: FRAO
NOTES: This was written for the Starsky & Hutch
Slashfest.
ARCHIVE: I'll add it, Peja. :)
------------------

Luck

A day off, Hutch in a good mood, a six-pack and a
coupla fat burritos: The perfect recipe for a fine
afternoon, as far as Starsky was concerned.  He
grabbed two Coors in one hand and the plate in the
other, and made his way to the couch.

Hutch eyed the plate then regarded Starsky with a
slightly wicked smile.  "Those look great, Starsk, but
they're. . . huge. Don?t think I can eat that much
right now."

Apparently Hutch wasn't just in a good mood, he was in
a great one. At least he hoped the man was getting at
what he thought he was getting at.  Even burritos
could wait for that. Starsky popped a can and took a
swig before passing it to his partner.  "Not hungry at
all?"  

Hutch took a drink then put the can on the coffee
table.  "Said I couldn't eat that much."  He wiggled
his eyebrows as he wrapped an arm around Starsky's
back, pulling him closer and turning him at the same
time.  "Didn't say I wasn't hungry."

Oh yeah, he's in an excellent mood, Starsky thought,
as he was pulled into a kiss.  He tasted beer, but
under that there was the unique flavor of Hutch.  The
first time they'd kissed, Starsky had realized he knew
that taste already, had always known it in the same
way you look at an apple and your mouth instinctively
responds with <I>crisp</I> and <I>wet</I> and
<I>sweet</I>.  

That first time he'd kissed Hutch, almost six weeks
ago, the shocking familiarity of it, the rightness of
it, had almost made him come in his pants. He was a
little beyond that now, but he craved that taste the
way you craved a cool drink of water on a 100 degree
day. He could always conjure it up, like the taste
lived in his mouth, waiting to be allowed dominance
over everything else.  And just thinking about it
could make him hard anywhere, anytime.  He'd learned
he had to 'not' think about it in certain situations,
to avoid embarrassment.

Fortunately now was not one of those times, because
immediately he was uncomfortable in his pants. Starsky
turned even farther and straddled the long legs as he
grabbed the back of the couch on both sides of Hutch's
shoulders.  He used his higher position to push
Hutch's head back before he broke the kiss and slid
his lips down the curved throat.

He closed his eyes and found his way with his tongue,
feeling one small bump and then the other.  Almost as
if on cue, Hutch moaned and his hands tightened on
Starsky's thighs.  Starsky smiled against the skin. 
Those two flat moles on the right side of Hutch's neck
were like Braille, saying 'suck here.' They were
something Starsky had always noticed, had always
known, and for the longest time he'd wanted to reach
out and touch them with his fingertip. And then his
tongue.  

Now he concentrated on the one just under Hutch's jaw,
moving over it lightly and wetting it before sucking
gently and sliding a little bit lower.  He repeated
this on each spot of flesh, and by the time he reached
the small tan spot on the side of Hutch's neck, the
blond was arching up underneath him.  Starsky felt his
partner's long fingers move from his thighs to his
ass. He was pulled in tighter, being urged to rub
himself in Hutch's lap.  

He sucked harder, moved lower, and suddenly Hutch's
collar was in the way.  He tried to work the buttons
of Hutch's shirt loose with one hand, then two, but
the buttonhole was stiff and unstretched so he finally
grabbed the material on both sides and pulled.  The
top two or three buttons popped free, one of them
pinging against the table or a nearby shelf.  

"Hey!"  There was a laugh behind the protest, but
Starsky didn't give him time to really get aggravated
about it.  Now that he could pull the offending collar
out of the way, he made little swirls with his tongue
at base of the throat, traced his collarbone, sucked
and bit gently on his shoulder.

Hutch's hands had been moving over Starsky's back, his
ass, against the skin underneath his shirt.  Starsky
felt his pants unbuttoned, unzipped, and then Hutch
said, "Oh, babe, take off your shoes."

"My shoes?" he said against Hutch's skin.

"So you can get these off."  He tugged at the
waistband of Starsky's pants and chuckled.  "Your
jeans are so tight I can't get my hands. . ."  He
trailed off as Starsky's tongue slid over his Adam's
apple.

Starsky leaned back and popped off one blue tennis
shoe, then the other before pulling his own shirt over
his head and tossing it to the side.  Just as he stood
to get his pants off, a loud crack sounded out on the
other side of the room, startling both of them. 
Starsky turned to see a bird beating itself against
the window, and a chill went through him.  He started
to walk round the coffee table toward it, thinking
maybe if he tapped on the glass or put his hand on it
the bird would fly away, but the phone rang and then
the bird was gone.  

Starsky could hear his partner answer the phone,
caught a <I>Cap'n</I> and  a <I>when</I>, but he was
mesmerized by the window and the frantic bird. 
Something in the back of his mind gnawed at him--he
couldn't remember who'd told him, but he could clearly
hear a woman's voice explaining that it was a bad
omen.  Meant serious illness or death for someone in
the room.  Was it his Great Uncle Saul who had
supposedly died after a bird flew into the window of
his bedroom, or did the bird actually fly in and perch
on his chair?  

"Starsky!"

Starsky snapped around to see his partner right behind
him, looking at him with concern.  Hutch put his hand
on his shoulder and rubbed lightly.  "You didn't hear
me?  Said your name three times." 

"Sorry.  Dobey?"

"Yeah, Boyd and Minnelli are watching some drug
runners and more have joined in the fun.  They need an
extra pair of eyes for a few hours to keep track of
the newcomers."  Hutch moved to button his shirt and
then sighed.  Smiling, he kissed Starsky.  "Better get
your shoes on."

Bird, omen, death, and then immediately they're called
on a case?  "Shoulda told him we'd been drinking,
Hutch."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Starsky was tense the entire time, even though all
they did was follow a couple of dope heads for a few
hours. They'd taken Hutch's car because Starsky's
didn't exactly blend in with traffic, and Starsky had
gotten in the driver's seat and held out his hands for
the keys.  If he was driving, he could be more in
control if something went down, more able to make sure
everything went all right.  And for some reason, Hutch
didn't protest.  

Yet nothing had happened, no one made a deal that they
could see, no one got shot at, and Hutch was fine. His
junker of a ride hadn't even backfired once.  Smooth
sailing.  

"This is a new shirt, you know," Hutch said as he
fingered a spot where a button should have been. 
Mostly, the front stayed close even without buttons,
but when he moved just right it gaped exposing almost
his entire chest.

Starsky reached over and slid a hand underneath the
fabric.  "It's a good look on you, don't worry about
it."  He rubbed the skin for a moment before putting
his hand back on the wheel. "I'll find 'em and sew 'em
back on, later."

"You, sew the buttons on my shirt?  Do windows, too?" 
He laughed.  "I guess if that bird was any indication,
you do damned good with windows.  Come and clean mine,
will ya?"

Starsky stiffened at the unpleasant reminder, then
forced himself away from the subject.  "Hey, I can
sew, cook, get most stains out of laundry and balance
a checkbook.  Didn't you take Home Ec in high school? 
What kind of a man are you, anyway?"  He gave Hutch a
teasing lopsided smile.  "That was the best smelling
classroom in the whole school--all baking smells, and
perfume.  Took it just to meet girls."

"Did it work?"

"Betty Ann Branigan.  She couldn't cook or sew, but
she wore a lotta sweaters."

They were both laughing when a blue Dodge ran the
light and crashed into their passenger side.
-------------------------------------------

The sun couldn't have been up long, and yet Hutch was
already awake, but not ready to get up.  He rolled
over carefully, trying not to disturb a sleeping
Starsky and at the same time favoring his right leg. 
He winced at the twinge where the car door had buckled
inward and caught him. Two weeks later and it still
ached--but thankfully it wasn't broken.  He'd been
leaning toward Starsky, about to ask if he should go
sweater shopping when Starsky's face changed and Hutch
felt himself jerked toward him, practically over both
his lap and the steering wheel.

Starsky had seen the car in the second before it made
impact and did the only thing he could--try to pull
Hutch away from it.  Which is why the door hit his leg
when it gave, and not his arm and upper body.  They
both walked away from the accident, even the asshole
in the Dodge was okay.   

But he was worried about Starsky.  Since the accident,
he'd been different. . . too careful, like Hutch might
fall apart at any minute.  Starsky had gotten as many
bumps and bruises from the crash as Hutch had, but
you'd have thought Hutch might be on death's door,
even after his partner realized he wasn't seriously
hurt.

"Jesus, Hutch! Jesus, Jesus, oh Hutch. . . "  He'd
hugged him and repeated that litany as if he'd just
been clutched in the very jaws of death and snatched
free at the last minute. 

Hutch had finally convinced him he was fine, they were
both fine, <I>everything</I> was fine.  But since
then, Starsky acted like doom lurked around every
corner.  Yesterday, he'd even taken Hutch's arm as
they were walking down a flight of steps.  

Hutch grunted and looked at the dark curls on the
pillow next to him, and past that he saw a little
white book on the nightstand.  He lifted up,
squinting, trying to see what it was and when he
determined he didn't recognize it, he turned on the
lamp next to him and reached over Starsky for it.

Starsky's eyes opened and he rolled over to look at
Hutch.  "Y'okay?"

"I'm fine, go back to sleep."  He sat up.  <I>Signs,
Omens, Curses and Déjà Vu</I>, one of those little
mini-books that litter the check-out aisles of grocery
stores.  He wondered how long Starsky'd had it.

"Whatcha' doin', Hutch?"

"A little light reading."

When Starsky finally focused on what Hutch was doing,
he made a half-hearted attempt to grab it.  "That's
nothin'."

Hutch pulled it away and flipped through it.  "If a
groom drops the ring during the ceremony, the marriage
is doomed. Shit, Starsk, here I thought it was doomed
just from him putting it on her finger."

Starsky chuckled and rubbed his face. "Put it down and
go to sleep, will ya?"

"No, this is good.  Never completely extinguish a
campfire before going to sleep.  A few embers should
always be left, or bad luck will follow.  Truly
brilliant, that one. Smokey the Bear is just fucked." 
Hutch snorted and shook his head.  "Oh, oh, listen to
this one.  It's good luck to have a naked woman on
board a boat--calms the seas."

He tilted his head back and laughed.  "It might calm
the seas but I'll bet it agitates the crew."

Starsky sighed, though he smiled.  He spoke softly. 
"I think having an actual woman on board was thought
to be bad luck, so that's why ships used to have women
carved on 'em."

"It's good luck to set out to golf on a rainy day?  I
guess lightning hitting your golf club must mean
you're truly blessed." He chuckled and flipped some
more pages, and found an underlined passage. Starsky
grabbed at the book but Hutch was too quick.  

"Jesus, Starsk."  

They looked at each other intently for a moment.  Then
Starsky sat up.  "I remembered hearing that as a kid,
and look what happened Hutch!  Dobey called and sent
us out right after--no, while the bird was here--and
if that car had been going just a little faster, if
you'd had your arm out the window, if--"

"If, if, if.  No ifs, babe.  It happened the way it
happened, I'm fine, it's over."  He put his hand on
the back of Starsky's neck and kneaded. 

"But Hutch, don't you think it's an awful big
coincidence?  Do you realize how close you came?  How
lucky you are to be okay?"

Hutch sighed and decided this couldn't keep up.  "I
don't believe in luck, Starsky. I don't have to.  I
believe in you.  You saw it coming and pulled me
farther away from the door, or I would have been
seriously hurt.  You're the only luck I need."  He
pulled Starsky forward and kissed him, but he could
tell Starsky was still hanging on to the idea.

"Come on. The car hit us because the driver ran a red
light, because he was in a fucking hurry, and we were
out there because drug dealers run in god damn packs
and Boyd and Minnelli don't have eight eyes and I
think Dobey has both our phone numbers tattooed
backwards on the inside of his eyelids.  Not because
of any bird confused enough to try to fly through a
window.  Things just don't work that way, babe."

Starsky opened his mouth, but Hutch shook his head.

"If the bird had been the one who called and sent us
out that day, then I'd say, yes, we were set-up!  It
was a hit!  But as it is, no, Starsk.  It was just a
god damned dippy bird, probably fell out of its nest
as a baby and bruised its brain, and never did 'get'
the whole window lesson, but the momma bird wouldn't
let bird school hold it back, because what would the
sparrows in the next tree think?"

Starsky plopped back down in the bed.

"Look at this stuff.  A bird flies into your house. .
. that's listed under bad and good luck.  How can it
be both?  It's only bad luck if he pecks your eyes or
shits on your shoulder while he's there, or what?" 
Hutch scoffed and tossed the little book on the
nightstand next to him, then stretched out against
Starsky and put his hand on his partner's chest. 
"Those are just old superstitions, still around from
the days when people had to explain life that way,
probably from before they knew the world was round."  

He rubbed circles on Starsky's chest, his fingers
combing through the dark curls.  Starsky's hand came
up to cover his.  

"You and I have come close to buying it, separately
<I>and</I> together, and there were no birds, or
broken mirrors or black cats doing the tango in our
paths then.  Right?"

Starsky sighed and rubbed the back of Hutch's hand. He
rolled onto his side, pressing the lengths of their
bodies together.  

Hutch kissed him, just a gentle press of lips. 
"Besides, even if omens were actually messages or
warnings, which they're not, you were here, too. 
Maybe I should be grabbing your elbow when we cross
the street?"

"I don't worry about me, babe.  I've got you for that,
and you've got my back.  I only worry 'bout losing
you." 

"I could tie a black cat around my neck, disco
underneath a ladder and drive through a wall of
mirrors, and you'd be no closer to losing me than
before.  You got that?"

Starsky smiled and rolled them both over so that he
was on top, careful not to bump Hutch's sore leg.  He
kissed Hutch, licking across his mouth, sucking
lightly on the bottom lip before pushing his tongue
inside <I>that taste</I> and moaning softly as he felt
Hutch's hips press up into his.

He pulled away to breathe.  "Dunno, Hutch.  I think
this is pretty good luck."  He pressed his hips
forward and felt their erections rub together.  "Don't
you?"

"You've got me there."  Hutch raised his head and
kissed Starsky.

--------------------------------------

Starsky and Hutch both stood in the small kitchen,
Hutch leaning casually against a counter with his
hands in his pockets, Starsky putting huge slices of a
Chicago-style pie on plates.

Hutch watched him with what felt like a goofy grin
plastered on his face.  The man's every movement,
whether he was slicing a pizza, pulling his gun or
using his mouth to make Hutch shake with need and cry
out his name--no matter what he did, Hutch could feel
him, like electricity in the air, all around him.
Hutch could picture this energy that drove his
partner, this essence that was Starsky, as something
coiled-up, spring-loaded, incredibly bright and
pulsing.  Always bright.

Even Starsky's superstitions and omens and signs, even
his willingness to believe in things like ghosts and
bigfoot and Nessie, somehow made him all the brighter.
 Hutch loved that part of Starsky--his <I>wonder</I>
at the mysteries of life was really hope and
enthusiasm--there was an inherent optimism in that
willingness to see connections and meaning in even the
simplest of things.

Where Starsky considered possibilities, Hutch quoted
facts and statistics.  Pragmatic, practical and
realistic, that's what he was and he guessed he'd
always be.  He envied Starsky sometimes, for his hope
and the way he looked at the world.  Hutch felt wonder
at very few things in life, but he felt it when he
thought of Starsky.  Wonder and awe.

Hutch walked up behind him, intending to catch his
mouth in a kiss as soon as he turned.  He watched
Starsky salt his piece of pizza and almost gave his
position away by telling him he should have tasted it
first, but then Starsky knocked the salt shaker over
with the back of his hand.  He pinched up some of the
salt and tossed it over his shoulder, right into
Hutch's face.  

Hutch closed his eyes and sighed.  "Starsky."

He spun.  "Shit, babe, didn't know you were right
there."  He wiped at Hutch's face, a grin breaking out
over his own.  

Hutch smiled back.  "No harm done." His face took on
an air of complete innocence.  But he couldn't just
let it pass.  

That's not how this ride worked.

He grabbed the shaker and flicked his wrist a few
times, scattering salt over the countertop, onto the
floor.  

"Hutch."

Hutch continued to shake salt into the air, here and
there, not even caring that he'd likely be the one
who'd clean it up.  He shook it over both his
shoulders, then both of Starsky's, and ended with a
pantomime of applying deodorant under both arms.  Then
he put the shaker firmly in Starsky's hand and smiled.
 <I>What'cha gonna do about that one, partner?</I>

"Okay, Hutch. . . I think you made your point."

Hutch pulled a face of mock horror.  "Oh my God,
Starsk, what if I just caused stormy seas, failed
marriages and 327 years of bad luck for some poor
idiot golfing in the rain?"

Starsky snorted and clomped the shaker down onto the
counter.  "Fine, mock me all you wanna."  He wiped the
salt into the sink, then went to get the broom while
Hutch watched, a little bothered by his reaction.

"Starsky. . . it's just salt, for Christ's sake.  I
thought we'd been through this. You don't honestly
believe. . . ?"

He bumped the broom bristles against Hutch's shoes,
pushing him back so he could sweep.  "Just salt.  I
know, I know. You don't hafta make such a damned big
scene about it. And such a mess.  It was just habit,
Hutch. I don't believe spilling salt is back luck. 
Which is a good thing, or you'd be doomed."  He said
the last word with a menacing tone.

Hutch took the broom from Starsky and backed him up
until he was pressed firmly against the counter.  He
leaned in and hugged his partner, pressing his lips
against Starsky's neck.  "Sorry.  I'll clean it up." 
He moved his mouth a little, letting his tongue flick
out.

Sighing, Starsky hugged back.  "Pizza. . . later?"

"Mmm hmm."  He kissed Starsky's neck and ran a hand
through his hair.  "We'll have more of an appetite
afterwards anyway."  He sucked hard enough to bruise
and then pushed away and grabbed the broom.

"Just let me clean this up first, or the pipes might
break, we'll get three inches of snow and all the
cheese might slide off our pizza." He winked. "You
never know."

Starsky looked at him like he had three eyes, and then
cocked his hip and smiled.  "Jesus, Hutchinson, you
are such a tease."  He sauntered toward the bedroom,
peeling his shirt off as he walked.  Hutch caught up
with him before it hit the floor.

Starsky gasped as Hutch backed him against the
doorjamb and pressed his hips forward.  "I guess
spilled salt is good luck, then?"

Hutch attacked his neck again and spoke between
kisses.  "It would seem so."  As they moved into the
bedroom, Hutch asked, "Since you're such an expert,
I've always wondered--what happens if you spill
pepper?"

Starsky cupped Hutch through his pants and they
collapsed together onto the bed.  "I sneeze."

Hutch laughed against Starsky's mouth.

---------------

Cousin Shelley

David Wenham
Daily--http://www.livejournal.com/community/daisy_daily/
Purple Prose--http://www.geocities.com/csnshelley
Crap--http://www.livejournal.com/users/cousinshelley/

Carl and the Beholder shook their heads while the
chicken feigned indifference. -- Splice Outtakes,
nikoru sanzo


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


this list is archived at:
http://www.squidge.org/~peja/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThereBeSlashHere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to