On 11 Feb 2012, at 03:12 , Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> What are these 'identities' that need to be asserted with authoritative
> backing?  I hope you're not just talking about state identities, even though
> state identity is an important part of it.  The current crop of authoritative
> information CAs are very good at two things: they know how to authenticate
> documents, and they know how to authenticate authority (defined as 'a state',
> or 'the government of a state').  They are probably, in that respect, even
> better than State Department employees.

Authoritative in terms that they are the recognized source for whatever
identity data asserted. As Steve already said in this same thread:

On 10 Feb 2012, at 01:22 , Stephen Kent wrote:
> A CA operated by a company is the right CA to identity individuals as
> employees of that company. if the company operates it's domain and
> manages mailboxes for its employees in that domain, then it is he
> right CA to issue certs with employee e-mail addresses.

If we are talking about identity data related to citizenship, then we'll need
state authorities. Otherwise, the appropriate source shall be used: a company
for its employees, a university for its students or faculty, and an association
for its members...

Dr Diego R. Lopez
Telefonica I+D
http://people.tid.es/diego.lopez/

e-mail: di...@tid.es
Tel:    +34 913 129 041
Mobile: +34 682 051 091

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar
nuestra política de envío y recepción de correo electrónico en el enlace
situado más abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and
receive email on the basis of the terms set out at