On 02/14/2013 02:29 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> Brian searches for "front for the ..." at noon Thu. and gets
> a href for JPF with PIN1 valid until Saturday.
>
> JPF rekey late Thursday. Let's say it was an emergency.

according to the HPKP draft, they switch to their backup pin, right?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning-04#section-4.1

I'm assuming Brian hasn't followed the link to the JPF yet.

> Brian visits JPF Friday morning and PIN1 no longer matches
> the JPF TLS server cert.

in this worst-case scenario, this is the first time Brian has visited
the JPF, and he is still following the link he received on thursday.

> What happens then?

It sounds to me like an S-link-compatible browser would refuse to follow
the link.

so then Brian could still decide to search again, i guess, and hope for
an updated S-link?

Maybe this suggests that any S-link should embed a backup pin as well,
and that an S-link-compatible user agent should require the backup pin
to be present.

Thinking about this stuff makes me worry that we're heading down a path
of making a particularly ephemeral variant of a URL, though; and
ephemerality violates some long-standing guiding principles behind URLs,
e.g.  http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

It might be worth trying to think through what the bigger-picture
consequences of that change would be if S-links were widely adopted.

        --dkg