> Maybe this suggests that any S-link should embed a backup pin as well,
> and that an S-link-compatible user agent should require the backup pin
> to be present.

Naturally, a search-engine would copy all of the observed HPKP pins,
including the "backup" pins, which anyways aren't marked or treated
different from any other pins.

> Thinking about this stuff makes me worry that we're heading down a path
> of making a particularly ephemeral variant of a URL, though; and
> ephemerality violates some long-standing guiding principles behind URLs,
> e.g.  http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

This is why I think HTML attributes are the right place for security
directives and not URLs themselves (a la the YURLs proposal). S-links
doesn't change URL syntax at all. Most hyperlinks on the web are already
quite ephemeral...