I think I might be partly responsible for the misunderstanding expressed in
this thread.

I had failed to protest the comparison of a meta-TLD like *.dns to *.bit and
*.onion.

They are not the same thing at all, and hence the difference in terminology.

I think I was able to state the difference more clearly and succinctly in
another list, so hopefully it might help here:

*.dns is a meta-TLD. You cannot register meta-TLDs. You own them already. There
is therefore no need to register them. There might exist other terms for this
concept, but I wasn't aware of them.

Cheers,
Greg

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.