I'm having trouble figuring out why you need a symbolic link .....

Our survey data is stored something like this

./cavename  contains svx files
./cavename/notes  scans of notes
./cavename/segments  scraps cut from notes

Here I am a little unsure what the other Philip has done
./cavename/therion  contains files for therion

I believe that the other Philip's problem is that therion does not like
it when you refer to scraps like this ../segment/file.png, but I am not
100% certain of this. So he creates a symbolic link to work around the
original problem.

Philip