On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Bruce Mutton
<bruce.mutton at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> I have tried many combinations of string, numeric, quotes, no quotes for the
> -attr variables parsed, and most cause identifiable metapost errors. If I
> comment out the metapost code it compiles perfectly.  I'm a bit lost and
> assume I'm making a simple mistake somewhere.

I attach complete example with two labels; one of which is hidden
using the code I sent.

> However, before pursuing this approach too much further, it is apparent that
> adding extra attributes to labels is a big imposition when they already have
> a -scale attribute that matches, more or less, their 'importance'.  I have
> 18km of plans and elevations to adjust!

You are right.

> So, is there a way to modify the metapost code to progressively hide labels
> of -scale xs, s, m etc as the output scale increases from 1:1000, 1:2000,
> 1:5000 etc?

Therion core needs to be modified to support this (information about
-scale option can't be evaluated by metapost currently), but then the
same approach could be used.

> Also I will need to modify the code for many entities I assume.  Ie line
> label, point passage-gradient (perhaps?) and not just point label.  There
> must be a location in my Windows Installation from where I can pluck the
> code for all the Therion entities, once I can figure out the pattern for the
> changes required?

The files are in the source distribution only (directory mpost).

Other option would be to extend symbol-hide/show options to evaluate
other conditions, like

symbol-hide point label where option:scale not "xl"

This would avoid a lot of modifications to metapost code but is not so
easy to implement in therion.

Martin