Sorry to repeat posting on this topic.

I think it's been done a few times in the last couple of years, and I either
wasn't ready or skilled enough to actually take it up.  And now I have a
good use for it I can not find a posting that explains it sufficiently for
my extremely limited MetaPost ability.

The question is. How to implement selective printing of labels to pdf
outputs?

Back in June Martin suggested the following, and I'm tempted to try it, but
I'll need some guidance on the MetaPost.

The examples in the Wiki don't quite get me there.  I think I need the
original definition of p_label to start with?

Bruce

"I would just use symbol-hide command in the layout. It is possible to
pre-define various sets of symbols which should be hidden at
particular scale (in separate layouts which are copied into layout in
use).

If you want to hide only some (not all) of the symbols in a given
type, you can use custom attributes combined with modifications in
MetaPost definitions of symbols. (E.g. for p_label you would add
condition that it should be displayed if the scale (denominator) is
<=1000 or the attribute is_important is set to 1.)

"