On 2012-02-21, at 21:17, Maximillian Dornseif wrote:

> I might understand something wrong, but it seems to me, that
> what is called `cavelength` in Therion is actually the length of all
> centerlines.

Thanks for the answers I got. To sum up: "don't worry. keep in mind the
distance you are traveling when passing 'crossroads' is in both directions so
both directions can count for cavelength.

My peers in our local caving club where not willing to accept such a
Laissez-faire approach. Mind you - we are germans so we like to over specify
anything.

I was given the canonical german language book on Speleology "Höhlenkunde"
(see
http://books.google.be/books/about/Höhlenkunde.html?id=CEAJAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y#)
 on page 239f there are 5 paragraphs on "determining the total passage length
of a cave". Please forgive my crude translation:

The total length of a cave is defined as the sum of all surveyed passages in a
cave system. It will be determined by the survey but is not the sum off all
centerlines ("Messtrecken") of a survey ("Polygonzug").

If your centerline is running from wall to wall the cave length [has to be
based on the center of the passage]. At branches the length of the branching
passage is counted from the wall-connection ("Ansatzstelle") and not from the
survey station located in the middle of the room. In bigger chambers the
longest axis is to be used for calculating the cave length. Small branching
passages, which have been documented by crosswise measurement are to be added
to the cave length.

I have attached the illustration from the page.

Has anybody suggestions how to use Therion to calculate the cave length based
on this definition?

--md