You just need to remove filling from symbol definition.

In your layout, try to use for example this code:

code metapost
def a_blocks (expr p) =
  T:=identity;
  pickup PenC;
  path q, qq; q = bbox p;
  picture tmp_pic;
  uu := max(u, (xpart urcorner q - xpart llcorner q)/100, (ypart urcorner q
- ypart llcorner q)/100);
  tmp_pic := image(
    for i = xpart llcorner q step 2uu until xpart urcorner q:
      for j = ypart llcorner q step 2uu until ypart urcorner q:
        qq := punked
(((-.5uu,-.5uu)--(.5uu,-.5uu)--(.5uu,.5uu)--(-.5uu,.5uu)--cycle)
     randomized (uu/2))
             rotated uniformdeviate(360)
             shifted ((i,j) randomized 1.6uu);
if xpart (p intersectiontimes qq) < 0:
  thdraw qq;
fi;
      endfor;
    endfor;
  );
  clip tmp_pic to p;
  draw tmp_pic;
enddef;

This is modified a_blocks_SKBB definition with "thclean qq;" statement
removed.

S.