+++ Ladislav Blažek [2013-12-04 14:22 +0100]:
>    I am big fan of free software and
>    GNU/Linux but it is still not 100% alternative to Windows/OS X on desktop.

Which aspect do you find 'not 100%'?

Clearly this can be true if you have to use some particular windows-only
application (In my case I can only file expenses at work with IE due to
a crappy 3rd-party website design, and have had reason to run a windows
app once every couple of years for some reason or another - such as
demoing tortoisesvn use in a windows environment for cavers at hidden
earth this year, and running pockettopo)

But wine and virtual machines (virtualbox) take care of this nicely.

The point being that my life is a great deal more civilised running
GNU/Linux daily and digging out an instance of Windows occaisionally
when needed, than it would be the other way round. Obviously others
might make different choices, and I don't want to overdo the
prosletysing, but just wanted make clear that I can't agree with the
idea that it's not a viable alternative desktop OS.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/