<flame>

- I don't want to run another virtualized OS (and mess with data sharing)
on my PC just because of few apps.
- wine is not stable option for quite lot of apps
- IMHO Linux distro is not alternative for (just few examples):
    - advanced photographer - there is not OSS alternative to Adobe
Lightroom/Aperture which is stable, has reasonable GUI, process RAW files
in the same quality and support complete workflow. And yes I know/used
GIMP, Darktable, RawTherapee, DigiKam etc. Also support for color profiles
is quite complicated.
    - video hobbist - show me usable alternative for video editing
(iMovie). OSS alternatives are buggy or with terrible UI. I know, that
there are professional grade and utterly complicated apps like Cinelerra.
    - CAD/CAM

GNU/Linux at the other hand is excellent option in case:
- you are developer, sysadmin
- you need internet/office pc
- you need HTPC for your living room
- you need server
- you have dedicated computer just for Therion stuff :-)

</flame>

@Bruce, Debian is great but I think Windows7 is the best system for you -
solid/stable/supported and without UI experiments (Metro).

L.