> Interesting observations on PDAs and where to store files. I was aware
that PocketTopo writes backup copies of the data file in use to the memory
card, but I thought it cleaned these up when you saved the file (or maybe it
is when you open a new file or close PocketTopo). I have never noticed my
PDA memory cards littered with back-up files. Just seen one instance on the
card when PocketTopo is running. So on that basis I assumed that the
auto-backup feature will only save you if PocketTopo crashes or the PDA was
destroyed (or battery ran flat) while in the middle of surveying. Once you
finish and close the project (or switch to a different file in PocketTopo
which I often do on a trip when working on large projects with several areas
active) then you lose any auto-backup of the file you were last working on.
If it is not on the memory card and the PDA then gets damaged (in transit in
the cave rather than while in active use) then you would lose the data if
only stored on the PDA internal memory.

The main idea is indeed to recover from crashes during surveying. If a
backup file is found during startup of the program, it is reopened
automatically. So normally you do not even notice the crash.

However, the backup files are not immediately removed when PocketTopo is
closed or another file opened, instead they are renamed from "~back*.top" to
"backup/~back*.top". This allows to recover a file even if PocketTopo is
already closed or the next survey is ongoing. This works until the next time
PocketTopo is closed or another file is opened and recovery must be done
manually, there is no automatic access to the backup/* files.

When you finish a file and start working in another area, I recommend to
manually copy the file to the external card, just to be sure.

Regards

Beat

[...]

I always take my cards out to copy data, but then my PDA is not sealed so it
is not a problem. Instead I use the PDA inside a waterproof Aquapaq case
which I can draw through but makes everything completely submersible (to 5m
it is claimed, but mainly I just wash it in a stream if too muddy).

I am working on a system to organise data for a larger cave, mixing
historical data and recent data. I'll try to document it once I have
determined that it really works. I have spent much more time working out how
best to do things than actually drawing anything yet, as I want to be sure I
am doing it right before spending the next few years drawing!

Footleg