Bill

In answer to your questions...

1) When creating the scraps, are these defined as "elevation" or as
"extended"?
>I cannot find anything in the Therion book which describes what the
difference is.
Yes, I commiserate.  I added this to the wiki some time back.

http://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/doku.php/faq#projections_plan_elevation_extend
ed_and_none The example you linked to looks like "extended", but the
principle for including a map within a map is identical regardless of the
projections.

2) How are these included in the main map?

You can do it in a single thconfig file (or multiple files).  Main thing is
to create the 'inserted' map before creating the main map, so in a single
thconfig you would write in this order...

        export map -proj extended -layout LayoutExtended -o
MillCreekExtendedElevation.pdf

        export map -proj plan -layout mainmap -o MillCreekCave.pdf

Somewhere in the layout for mainmap you would have already included;
        map-image 0 0 nw MillCreekExtendedElevation.pdf

or else you could do the second export like this without including the
output image in the layout.

        export map -proj plan \
        -layout mainmap \
        -layout-map-image 0 0 nw MillCreekExtendedElevation.pdf \
        -o MillCreekCave.pdf

I think it is written up somewhere, perhaps it is only in the forum posts.
Here is one
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.therion/2213/match=insert+map
Bruce